U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which bordering state works more with NC?
South Carolina 30 61.22%
Tennessee 3 6.12%
Georgia 3 6.12%
Virginia 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 2,736,174 times

Advertisements

What state bordering NC has a stronger tie with us? Not talking about how they are similar (population, etc), just talking about what state works together a little more with NC. Could be tourism, close metro's, channel news, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 5,960,425 times
Either SC or VA. We are close to SC due to the Charlotte Metro. But I would identify more with VA, but I don't think that is reciprocal.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM

37,250 posts, read 38,138,897 times
I think NC is most like VA but more tied to SC. Metro Charlotte, the largest between both states and centrally located between both states, plays a big role in that.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,836,747 times
I voted SC. Some ancedotes would be ...

I get the impression NC/SC Realtor's licenses are more common than NC/VA.

People in NC tend to visit SC's beaches. Not many people drive up to Hampton Roads.

Only NC and SC have the concept of "upset bidding" at a trustee sale when a loan forecloses. Maybe some legal students on here are aware of other shared statutory devices.

TN used to be part of NC, and some of the counties there still have the same names as they did in colonial times. But after separation TN developed more economically linked to the west, due to the river system.

Virginia has a discernably more winterly climate than NC. That was clear to me many times as a child, watching the weather forecasts and hoping for snow to close the schools.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 08-15-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 PM

12,731 posts, read 15,110,390 times
I'm going with SC, too. Virginia is so different at either end. I've got relatives in NoVa and SW Va and the areas really couldn't be more different. With the huge population in NoVa that area of the state is allied with MD and DC.

Charlotte links us with SC and so does Wilmington to some extent. The OBX are not populous enough for a strong link with Va and the Triad and Triangle are not that close to the Va border. Culturally the Triad and the Triangle are a closer link to Charlotte and Rock Hill SC than they are to the population centers in Va.

Certainly all the border areas are strongly linked in their immediate vicinity, but overall I would say SC.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Most of NC's rivers flow to the southeast, through SC, and that prompts the state govenments into negotiations and becoming more familiar with each other. Although NC has rivers leading up into Virginia, we didn't have a good port like SC does with Charleston. Virginia already had Norfolk, so it didn't need close relations with NC.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,047,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The OBX are not populous enough for a strong link with Va
The majority of the year-round population in Dare County since the 90s are native Virginians. The outer banks are part of the Hampton Roads media market, and most people drive north to get to civilization. It's basically been annexed by VA.

But the answer going by the OP's criteria is all of the above, depending on region. Except for Georgia since we share so little border and that part is scarcely populated. Metro Charlotte has ties to upstate SC, the High Country has ties to the Tri-Cities region, and the outer banks like I said are a southern extension of Tidewater VA. There's no overall one state NC's more closely tied to than another. The various regions of the state have just as little to do with each other in many respects.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM

It's true today that the northern OBX is economically looped to VA. But I view it as a recent development because it took along time to build decent road access out there.

Whoever clicked "Georgia" in this poll must live in Murphy. :-P

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,047,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
It's true today that the northern OBX is economically looped to VA. But I view it as a recent development because it took along time to build decent road access out there.
If by recent you mean going on two decades, then yeah, I guess that counts as a recent development. 158's been 4 lane and 55mph since the mid-90s, and that was when the big real estate boom started happening full steam. Even before then the majority of the local tv affiliates came out of VA, and the major newspaper has been the Virgnian Pilot, whose OBX coverage dates back at least to the early 90s. And the local power utility has as far back as I can remember come from Dominion, which as the name implies, is from VA.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,846,471 times
Hmmmm, let's see.

North CAROLINA and South CAROLINA

or

NC and VA...

Gonna have to go with the other CAROLINA. Call it a hunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina