Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM

106 posts, read 318,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Be careful with looking at crime rates. EG, if you use CD, the crime rate in Southern Pines looks higher than the national average. But, the land you want will be outside city limits in a county, and will be much lower. Most crime is drug-related, eg, junkies breaking into homes, a local meth dealer caught, etc.

I have seen many properties with land around Carthage, Sanford, etc. I would not hesitate to live there. You should have a job lined up before you move.
I have addressed this before. One needs to look at the combined crime rate for Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen, and Whispering Pines. All are small towns which abut each other forming a "city" of about 30,000 people. Pinehurst and Whispering Pines essentially do not allow/accommodate retail development and poor people (seriously, look at the demographics).

No retail: No shoplifting. No breaking into cars in the parking lot. No employee embezzlement. No passing counterfeit bills. No little old lady from Pinehurst leaving her purse on the front seat of an unlocked car while she gets her hair done. Etc.

No lower income neighborhoods/developments: Much less drug related crime, etc.

There is VERY little RANDOM violent crime in the area. Heck, be nice to your drug dealer or customer and nobody is going to shoot you. As for stuff like car break-ins, etc., don't leave your purse on the seat and the door unlocked and you'll be fine. Oh, and good luck eating if you don't leave the "safety" of Pinehurst- 13,000 people and not a single grocery store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recip View Post
Oh, and good luck eating if you don't leave the "safety" of Pinehurst- 13,000 people and not a single grocery store!
OK, so technically there are no grocery stores in Pinehurst but less than 1 mile from the center of the Village on the border with Taylor Town is a Lowes foods and just a block away Harris Teeter is building a new grocery store.

The 13,000 people in Pinehurst are not eating out for every meal.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The 13,000 people in Pinehurst are not eating out for every meal.
Nope, they drive to all the grocery stores and new chain restaurants in Aberdeen and Southern Pines and then write letters complaining about how Aberdeen and Southern Pines should do something about the grocery stores they cut trees down for, the traffic, and the ugly new chain restaurants! Gotta love this place!!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 AM
PDD

Quote:
Nope, they drive to all the grocery stores and new chain restaurants in Aberdeen and Southern Pines and then write letters complaining about how Aberdeen and Southern Pines should do something about the grocery stores they cut trees down for, the traffic, and the ugly new chain restaurants! Gotta love this place!!!!
Sounds like you are unhappy here, time to relocate.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sounds like you are unhappy here, time to relocate.
Nope. I love this place with all my heart. I am unhappy with the people who move here because they like it, cause it to change, and then complain about the traffic, environmental, development, etc. impacts that they caused.

Countless letters to the editor in the Pilot newspaper follow the same formula: "I moved here because...(insert: no traffic, lots of trees, small town feel, etc.)...but now the problem is (insert: too much traffic, no trees, overdevelopment, etc.)...and something should be done about it!" They don't realize (or admit) that a lot of other people moved here for the same reasons and because there are now a lot more people here, there is more traffic, tree clearing, development, etc. They want to be the last ones in and shut the door behind them.

I've been here a long time. Most of the change has been good. It just gripes me when people complain about the consequences of their own actions.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM
PDD

Quote:
Nope. I love this place with all my heart. I am unhappy with the people who move here because they like it, cause it to change, and then complain about the traffic, environmental, development, etc. impacts that they caused.

Countless letters to the editor in the Pilot newspaper follow the same formula: "I moved here because...(insert: no traffic, lots of trees, small town feel, etc.)...but now the problem is (insert: too much traffic, no trees, overdevelopment, etc.)...and something should be done about it!" They don't realize (or admit) that a lot of other people moved here for the same reasons and because there are now a lot more people here, there is more traffic, tree clearing, development, etc. They want to be the last ones in and shut the door behind them.

I've been here a long time. Most of the change has been good. It just gripes me when people complain about the consequences of their own actions.
I can't argue with that.
We came here because we like the Pinehurst Village but the majority in charge want to make major changes that could change the historic designation that probably brought those people to Pinehurst in the first place.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
pinehurst and southern pines are nice, as are seven lakes and west end. just dont live in aberdeen, which is right beside southern pines. obviously avoid the southern pines projects, grimy **** goin down there

Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 14,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gine View Post
I've applied for several jobs in the area and I am wondering what the area is really like. I am coming up there in a few weeks to check it out for my self but I would like opinions. I am single but have 3 big dog babies so I want a place with some land. Is that possible with out living in the middle of now where? What is the crime rate? Any info is helpful! Thanks!
Your dog babies will be happy in SP/Pinehurst. There is a great dog park in Aberdeen. My doggies love it there. It is a beautiful area. Good luck with your decision.

Southern Pines - Parks

Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recip View Post
i am unhappy with the people who move here because they like it, cause it to change, and then complain about the traffic, environmental, development, etc. Impacts that they caused.
Well, welcome to North Carolina !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina