Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, in June 2012, I moved from Phoenix, AZ to Raleigh, NC almost exclusively to obtain health insurance. As a young retiree a decade away from Medicare and a history that cites me with pre-existing conditions, I was declined for individual insurance in Arizona.

I was able to obtain coverage with the AZ SBA by starting an online business then joining their group. Cost for a 55 year old, non-smoking woman was $996/month with a $5,000 deductible. My TOTAL medical costs in 2010 and 2011 were $950 and $750, respectively. In 2013, the AZ SBA does not expect to have enough people in the group to qualify for group coverage, so it was move to another state that had accessible insurance for individuals or go back to work for no reason EXCEPT health insurance.

We chose to move. We had the financial and emotional luxury to be able to do that. Extensive research showed that about three states had high risk pools with a residency requirement of 3 months or less and reasonable premiums (NC, AL, AR). Other states had guaranteed coverage or Romney-care and were impossibly expensive. Most states, like Arizona, had nothing unless you were poor and couldn't afford coverage - then you get Medicaid.

For those who are unaware, NC has Inclusive Health for those with pre-existing conditions who cannot obtain individual health insurance. Cost for same 55 year old, non-smoking woman for a $5,000 deductible = $341/month.

One other point: My auto insurance doesn't pay for my car maintenance like oil changes and new tires. My home owner's insurance doesn't pay for regular upkeep like repainting the house or a new hot water heater. Those insurance products cover me for catastrophic, unexpected issues. IMHO, health insurance should be for those catastrophic issues, not expenses that are predicable and expected (like regular eye exams, pap smears, flu shots and annual physicals), with deductibles for a range of financial situations.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-02-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
...health insurance should be for those catastrophic issues, not expenses that are predicable and expected (like regular eye exams, pap smears, flu shots and annual physicals), with deductibles for a range of financial situations.
ding ding ding

Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,470,166 times
If the party of the rich gets in it will go from 1 in 5 without to 1 in 3.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Those insurance products cover me for catastrophic, unexpected issues. IMHO, health insurance should be for those catastrophic issues, not expenses that are predicable and expected (like regular eye exams, pap smears, flu shots and annual physicals), with deductibles for a range of financial situations.
The purpose of the annual physical, or even the flu shot is to PREVENT the catastrophic issues. The sticker price on my last physical (nothing special, just the routine stuff) was just under $900, a serious chunk of cash for many people.

But if it detects something easily treatable like high blood pressure and prevents a stroke that requires hospitalization and months of rehab saves 10's of thousands of dollars, in addition to time lost from work, and even paying disability to that person for the rest of their life, that physical is the fiscally the intelligent thing to pay for.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The purpose of the annual physical, or even the flu shot is to PREVENT the catastrophic issues.
The sticker price on my last physical (nothing special, just the routine stuff) was just under $900...
Setting the sticker price of what a given service should cost aside (a whole other can of worms)...
if you're on board with getting an annual exam of some sort do you see having an insurance
company in the middle of that as some sort of advantage to anyone?

As mentioned above... if you can plan it then you can budget for it too. Further, if you can reasonably anticipate a few hiccups here and there then you can budget for them as well.

Insurance is about protecting us against the things we can't reasonably anticipate...
or can't reasonably afford to pay for on our own. Or in many cases afford to even insure against.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,542,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'll bet they have an I-Phone, I-Pad and a hand full of lottery tickets every week. Who need insurance when the emergency rooms have to take car of you when your sick or injured?
You forgot to mention a Cellphone, Escalade with Chrome Rims and an EBT card.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 AM

875 posts, read 1,159,356 times
Quote:
If the party of the rich gets in it will go from 1 in 5 without to 1 in 3.

You mean Obama, Kerry, Pelosi, Reid, Boxer and their supporters like Soros? I like how no one thinks a rich man should be president unless it was Kennedy or more recently, Kerry/Edwards.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Setting the sticker price of what a given service should cost aside (a whole other can of worms)...
if you're on board with getting an annual exam of some sort do you see having an insurance
company in the middle of that as some sort of advantage to anyone?

As mentioned above... if you can plan it then you can budget for it too. Further, if you can reasonably anticipate a few hiccups here and there then you can budget for them as well.

Insurance is about protecting us against the things we can't reasonably anticipate...
or can't reasonably afford to pay for on our own. Or in many cases afford to even insure against.
A seemingly healthy person that feels fine is not going to even consider spending $800 - $1000 on what they as totally unnecessary. And for a couple, it becomes $2K.

But will call 911 and run up $100,000 in bills when they have a stroke.

There are many families that simply cannot "budget" that either, for they simply don't make enough.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
You mean Obama, Kerry, Pelosi, Reid, Boxer and their supporters like Soros? I like how no one thinks a rich man should be president unless it was Kennedy or more recently, Kerry/Edwards.
Naw, the "tax cuts for the rich" and let's "deregulate the banks again", that worked out so well at the turn of the century.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
A seemingly healthy person that feels fine is not going to even consider spending...
There are many families that simply cannot "budget" that either, for they simply don't make enough.
But they're supposed to afford the expense of an insurance policy instead?

Quote:
But will call 911 and run up $100,000 in bills when they have a stroke.
Or more. But now at least you're getting to the sort of expense risk that calls for insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina