Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times

Advertisements

I moved from Chicago to Cary....mostly I like it. The main downside is how in your face people are about religion and the lack of good restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM

353 posts, read 458,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I moved from Chicago to Cary....mostly I like it. The main downside is how in your face people are about religion and the lack of good restaurants.
That's strange that you've had that experience in Cary. I lived in Greenville for 4 years and I was always getting question about religion and getting handed copies of Watchtower, etc. I moved to the Triangle area two years ago and I have never had anyone ask me about religion since.

As far as lack of restaurants, yeah they probably aren't as good as where you came from but that is really a minor detail. As long as you have a job and can handle the humid summers and don't mind it getting slightly cold in the winter, you should be fine. Everything else should work itself out.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
We moved from Central NJ to the Sandhills of Moore co.
Less traffic than NJ
Lower cost of real estate than NJ
Lower taxes than NJ
Less snow than NJ
Amtrak only 12 miles away
Much shorter and milder Winter season
Lower utility bills than NJ, $150 a month vs $500 a month

A few negatives

Much longer hot weather season than NJ, could not cope without A/C
No really good NY,NJ style Italian restaurants
Rural drivers tend not to use turn signals (keeps you guessing)
Major airport 70 miles away. RDU

The plus's outnumber the minus's

Some people complain about the bible thumpers but if that's what they want to do it's none of my business.
If they come to my door I say "Thank you but I am not interested and have a nice day"

Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Stay put. Charlotte area reeks! Very conservative, not singles friendly and not enough of diversity to suit my taste.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM

68 posts, read 109,003 times
The Mebane area is really nice, small town, friendly people, fairly good shopping (Tanger Outlet Mall) and a really good Mexican Restaurant. The library in Mebane is disproportionately large for such a small town. The populace is fairly well educated, lots of colleges and Universities within a 60 mile radius.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicaot1 View Post
Hi all. Considering a move from Miami to NC in the future. Would love to hear from anyone that has relocated from somewhere to nc. Where did you come from, where in nc did you go, things that you like/dislike, how it compares to where you came from and any regrets? Thanks!!!
Well we moved to the Raleigh area after almost 30 years in South Florida, perhaps I didn't do my homework but this is the "real" south not like so fl. Very different. Not a lot of culture here though they try. I am NYC born & raised before living in So Fl. This place is way laid back if that's what you are looking for. It gets colder than I thought, 20' s sometimes even lower. Some people do not like Northerners, they feel we ruined the South! It does offer the beautiful mountains, a change from the sub tropical beaches we had in So Fl. Without going on and on, I have very mixed feeling about living here, and we are contemplating moving back to the Orlando or Northern part of Florida, not use to the colder temps. Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 AM

221 posts, read 358,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Well we moved to the Raleigh area after almost 30 years in South Florida, perhaps I didn't do my homework but this is the "real" south not like so fl. Very different. Not a lot of culture here though they try. I am NYC born & raised before living in So Fl. This place is way laid back if that's what you are looking for. It gets colder than I thought, 20' s sometimes even lower. Some people do not like Northerners, they feel we ruined the South! It does offer the beautiful mountains, a change from the sub tropical beaches we had in So Fl. Without going on and on, I have very mixed feeling about living here, and we are contemplating moving back to the Orlando or Northern part of Florida, not use to the colder temps. Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

I know for a fact that Florida has more Italian-Americans from NYC and Northeast. So many people from Florida have East-coast accents. But there are many people in North Carolina that are from up North as well. When I went to Cary NC , I met people from the Boston area and New York. The Triangle area, Charlotte area, Asheville , all have transplants from up North, more and more people are retiring in NC these days .

Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
If you are looking for specifics on the differences between Miami and the Triangle, lots of people have asked variations of that question! Did a broad search on "miami moving" specifically in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary forum (using advanced search) and lots of threads come up - some directly answering your question, others more tangential with input from people who have experience in both places.

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...earchid=805953

I'm sure you could do the same in the Charlotte forum.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 31,939 times
Moved from NJ 3 months ago. Can't find a job in this state. This state seems to have the worst job market.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKF-CPA View Post
Moved from NJ 3 months ago. Can't find a job in this state. This state seems to have the worst job market.
Too much stiff competition for jobs. Out of curiosity, why did you move to NC (in this economy) without having a job lined up first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina