Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 46,633 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Mt. Airy area for retirement within the next 3 years. We're looking at real estate with land with the thought to purchase soon. I have no experience with double wides and find there are many with land and very reasonable. The pictures look spacious and well laid out. Coming from the north, my first concern is insulation and if they come with any in the windows and external walls. I'd love to hear from someone who knows how they deal with the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. Any and all information would be appreciated.
Thanks - Nereid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 01:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
All transportable sections of manufactured homes built in the U.S. after June 15, 1976, must contain a red label. The label is the manufacturer's certification that the home section is built in accordance with HUD's construction and safety standards. HUD standards cover Body and Frame Requirements, Thermal Protection, Plumbing, Electrical, Fire Safety and other aspects of the home. They are published in the Code of Federal Regulations at 24 CFR 3280.

24 CFR 3280 MANUFACTURED HOME CONSTRUCTION AND SAFETY STANDARDS

http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/do.../part3280.html

Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Info on double-wides

Thanks so much for the link. The information is very thorough and gives me a bit more peace of mint but I was hoping for information from someone who is or has lived in one. I wonder if you can add insulation if the walls are not insulated? Some of the write-ups in the real estate links indicate that some of the d/w have sheetrocked walls. Is this something you can do once in? I'd love any information, questions we should ask when looking, areas to watch out for , etc. Thanks again - Nereid

Old 09-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereid View Post
Thanks so much for the link. The information is very thorough and gives me a bit more peace of mint but I was hoping for information from someone who is or has lived in one. I wonder if you can add insulation if the walls are not insulated? Some of the write-ups in the real estate links indicate that some of the d/w have sheetrocked walls. Is this something you can do once in? I'd love any information, questions we should ask when looking, areas to watch out for , etc. Thanks again - Nereid
I'm not sure that type of information would be helpful unless you were buying the same make/model home built during the same period. Even the minimum federal standards have been modified many times over the past 30 years.

Your best bet at this point would be to compare the companies using their web sites. I would also imagine they offer "upgrades" at an additional cost just like stick-built and modular homes.

I sent you a 100 page booklet on "How to Buy a Manufactured Home" to your e-mail address. You'll need a copy of the free Adobe Acrobat document viewer to read it.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-23-2006 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Wow, I received your email with the book! I scanned the info and know it's going to answer many questions. Thanks.

I must admit my attitude has softened regarding d/w. I really had to be convinced to look at these places at first as I knew no one who lived in a manufactured/mobile home. As I've looked at the pictures I realize they have some great features and perhaps I shouldn't be so "jaded" in my thinking. Where my husband and I want some land and a place now before we retire, it offers an opportunity to purchase something affordable that we can use now and later build a stick home should we chose.

So, thanks again for the info - Nereid

Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereid View Post
Wow, I received your email with the book! I scanned the info and know it's going to answer many questions. Thanks.

I must admit my attitude has softened regarding d/w. I really had to be convinced to look at these places at first as I knew no one who lived in a manufactured/mobile home. As I've looked at the pictures I realize they have some great features and perhaps I shouldn't be so "jaded" in my thinking. Where my husband and I want some land and a place now before we retire, it offers an opportunity to purchase something affordable that we can use now and later build a stick home should we chose.

So, thanks again for the info - Nereid
Yep, don't confuse mobile homes of the 1960's with present-day manufactured double and triple-wide homes. Completely different animal.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:20 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,456 times
Watch out - around here (eastern NC), poor resale, and can be difficult to sell....

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
I've had lenders tell me that they won't do regular mortgage homes for mobile homes. I actually had a client tell me that she wanted to build a modular home but the only way to finance it was to go through the modular dealer. I do know that most people do not view this as real estate and therefore, from an investment point of view, may not be the best option. Vicki

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Watch out - around here (eastern NC), poor resale, and can be difficult to sell....
True, manufactured homes are poor investments, but it beats renting. The land will probably continue to appreciate in value plus you get the income tax deduction if you finance.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:51 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,607 times
Default Mobile Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I've had lenders tell me that they won't do regular mortgage homes for mobile homes. I actually had a client tell me that she wanted to build a modular home but the only way to finance it was to go through the modular dealer. I do know that most people do not view this as real estate and therefore, from an investment point of view, may not be the best option. Vicki
I agree, Vicki.

My understanding is that there are precious few lenders in the U.S. who will even finance a mobile home, that interest rates are *very* high if they do, and that it requires a steep down payment. I don't much care what anyone says about their "safety." A mobile home is not the same as a stick built home, nor is it the same as a modular home. Modular homes are getting better from the research I've done, but the re-sale value just isn't there. Yes, perhaps you ( general *you*) think that you'll live in a modular for the rest of your life, but stuff happens, unfortunately. For more information about mobile homes and financing, contact mbmouse, a City data forum moderator as well as someone who is knowledgeable about the few lending programs available any more -- at least for mobile homes, which are not the same as modular homes. I have no knowledge of the financing of modulars, but quite honestly, I"m not surprised to hear that they may be more difficult to obtain financing for. I personally don't think they are a good investment at this point.

Plus IMO, few out of staters who think that "mobile homes" are a deal would care to live in an area where they are commonplace. In the area where the original poster asked about them, I think "culture shock" doesn't begin to describe what they are in for.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-26-2006 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: