Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Here are some of the attack ads against McCrory that are not being ran in Charlotte markets. You all be the judge.

Pat McCrory: Why? - YouTube

Today's Tree - YouTube

Case Number Two - YouTube

Old 09-20-2012, 01:54 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Both parties put out negative attack ads attacking their political opponents. But in the more personal ads featuring themselves, I just think Dalton comes across better. In the hometown add from Rutherfordton. McCrory just doesn't come across as well, complaining about $4.00 a gallon gas and unemployment. Even though they are legitimate issues that he may be better served to correct. And he may indeed be the better candidate. I just don't like his adds. But we'll see how things turn out come election day.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Dalton's adds make me want to go out and vote for him, and I don't even live in NC anymore.
Not a problem in this state, we're on the honor system here.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, at least he grew up here, and isn't a carpetbagger, which is something I can't say for everyone in NC gubment.

He is from Salisbury. And as far as the way he dresses in an ad, I love my boots - wear them nearly daily when walking my dog in the woods. That sure as heck is not a "put on."

during our years of living in Charlotte I had the opportunity to
observe McCrory in social situations,
he is totally a bare feet in tassel loafers kind of guy.

also observed that he might be his own biggest fan, just saying.

these things really don't have any bearing on what kind of governor
he would be.

I remember that while mayor of CLT, there was talk of he being
a closeted democrat, kind of odd to see him aligned with tea party politicians this
time around and republicans cheering him on.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I remember that while mayor of CLT, there was talk of he being
a closeted democrat, kind of odd to see him aligned with tea party politicians this
time around and republicans cheering him on.
Many of the folks who know him best has said this much. So it seems, the Republican party were the ones who got his career started (which is why he calls himself a republican). During his time as mayor, he never acted like a typical southern Republican. This was the guy who pushed for more downtown museums, better mass transit, a downtown arena, a downtown stadium, more greenways, etc.

Also, he had no problems using public money to get these projects off of the ground if he felt that public money would have been needed. There is NOTHING "conservative" about McCrory or for that matter any of Charlotte's past Republican mayors. Both the dems and republicans of Charlotte since the 1980s have all been (for the most part) forward thinking folks. The city that Charlotte is today is proof of this. It's no surprise why Obama chose Charlotte as his image of "NC moving forward". It's not that other NC cities aren't moving forward also. Simply put, Charlotte has the look, feel, and infratructure of a southern city that's moving forward. Much of that "look and feel" was planned and built by our so-called conservative mayor McCrory.

On another note, I've noticed that we have quite a few residents in the Triangle who refuse to vote for McCrory (because he is an ex-mayor of Charlotte). Ironically, many of these same Triangle residents want to see light rail become a reality in the Triangle. I have one question for these folks (y'all know who y'all are). Why would you vote for a governor (Dalton) who has no experience planning, building, or securing federal funds to build light rail in this state? As governor, McCrory's job will be to move NC forward (not just Charlotte). It will not be in his best interests to make only Charlotte happy while ignoring the rest of the state. If he did this, we would be a one-term governor like Perdue. A democrat (Dalton) would never sway your republicans in Wake county to agree on a transit tax vote; a republican governor (McCrory) could though. Think about that one.

I'm by no means telling folks who to vote for. All I'm saying is that choosing NOT to vote for McCrory for fear that he will only focus on Charlotte is silly. One can argue that Dalton will only focus on Charlotte too because he got his job on Obama's coat-tail thanks to a very successful DNC in Charlotte.

Based on an actual track record, McCrory has more knowledge of business and how to work with both parties. He's the better man for the job of getting us out of the unemployment mess. To me, that's what really counts and NC should be ashamed of itself for not seeing the obvious reality of this year's governors race.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-21-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I may have consider voting for McCrory if both houses was not republican.
Sneaking in Amendment One there is no telling what other social non job creating issue they would pass when all 3 branches in republican control.

His commercial he mentions he wants to drill oil blaming this for the high gas prices. There is no proof drilling off our coast would reduce cost. The USA exports more oil than we consume, speculators and OPEC controls the price.
Last this an environmental disaster waiting to happen. The waters off the Atlantic are more turbulent than the Gulf. It called graveyard of Atlantic for a reason.
The gas prices didnt change when North Dakota started drilling and more likely will not change when Keystone Pipeline is built.

Next his commercials he trying to link Lt Governor Dalton to Governor Perdue when they both are different.
She didnt appoint him. The Voters elected him and should elect Lt Governor Dalton for Governor

I strongly believe a governor should be from this state. McCrory is from Ohio and Dalton is from Rutherfordton.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-21-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
If there were drilling off the coast of NC there would have to be either a pipe line to a refinery or increase in port sizes to accommadate super tankers to bring the crude to a refinery. I dont believe there is one refinery in NC as most of the Gas is piped into the state from the gulf coast.

MC Crory talking pipe dreams as his party likes to put more social issues forward then economic. The lowered corp. income tax passed will wind up hurting each county more then most will believe. As the surplus is used up to stop tax increases the day is coming when we shall all have to pay. That will be Property Owners who will see there taxes go up the most. I used to live in NJ and watched the failed Conservative Economic theory raise the property tax rate to ridiculous rates. It is still happening today under Mr. Christie.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The eastern side of the state cares very little for Charlotte. Being associated with Charlotte hurt him in the yellow dog districts in the east in 08. Anti-urban sentiment is pretty high in the rest of the state and the whole "Great State of Mecklenburg" image is still prominent among those who really pay attention. Charlotte mayors have not usually fared well in statewide races.

Plus, he's broken with the Charlotte power structure on many things lately to shore up his image Down East.

While he's running commercials in the Charlotte metro about the growth of Charlotte, he's certainly not doing that in the rest of the state, from my understanding.
He has been running the mentioned ad here.
Candidates will say things that stick in my mind; Mcrory's has been him running this ad about paying $4/gal for gas, hey so does everyone else, and proposing we tap into our own natural resources. Problem being any fossil fuel from NC doesn't get labeled as ours so it won't benefit us in the manner he is insinuating.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
You're dead on!
Remember what Ross Perot said on TV?

"If NAFTA passes - you hear a giant sucking sound from here to Mexico".
The Dude was spot on. Good bye Cannon Mills and Springs - hello mexico.
That dude said a lot of things that are dead on today!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
He has been running the mentioned ad here.
Candidates will say things that stick in my mind; Mcrory's has been him running this ad about paying $4/gal for gas, hey so does everyone else, and proposing we tap into our own natural resources. Problem being any fossil fuel from NC doesn't get labeled as ours so it won't benefit us in the manner he is insinuating.
and droppin' those g's like he never did when he was runnin' for mayor in Charlotte. Total phony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina