Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,525 times

Advertisements

New to NC, looked at the maps and came up with this drive for the fall. Starting Friday afternoon and return by Sunday evening or maybe an extra day if needed. Drive from Raleigh to MilePost 220 , to MilePost 120 (Roanake Mountain) and back to Raleigh. Two night stay. Makes sense ?

MAP (map shows driving on 221, but plan to drive on the blue ridge parkway) :http://tinyurl.com/ck3hm2p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM

273 posts, read 911,778 times
Sure it makes sense. We've done variations of this trip many times. Book your accommodations first is my only advice. Mountains are a busy place during the fall. If you can go during the week you might have a better experience and perhaps cheaper rooms. Have a great trip.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times
I greatly prefer the NC portion of the BRP to the Virginia portion. Much more scenic overall. That Virginia section has is a bit boring by comparison.

My suggestion is to head up to the Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk area instead.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
New to NC, looked at the maps and came up with this drive for the fall. Starting Friday afternoon and return by Sunday evening or maybe an extra day if needed. Drive from Raleigh to MilePost 220 , to MilePost 120 (Roanake Mountain) and back to Raleigh. Two night stay. Makes sense ?

MAP (map shows driving on 221, but plan to drive on the blue ridge parkway) :Raleigh, NC to Raleigh, NC - Google Maps
There are better more scenic trips than that one that I would take if I were you

Would you like some suggestions?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I greatly prefer the NC portion of the BRP to the Virginia portion. Much more scenic overall. That Virginia section has is a bit boring by comparison.

My suggestion is to head up to the Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk area instead.
I agree: I've driven the southern section from Cherokee up to Blowing Rock several times (at different times of the year).

I usually do a 3-day / 2-night trip,
Google Trip/map:
Maggie Valley, NC to Blowing Rock, NC - Google Maps

If you leave Fri from work and stop for dinner, it's about 5 hours to Maggies Vallie, where there are a lot of nice, reasonable BnBs and Inns,
(It's only about 45 min drive up to Asheville if you want to do that too).

Sat drive south to Cherokee (good tourstie things there), then to Fontana Dam (excellent pit stop, visitors center and leg stretcher - eye opener), then around the southern tip of the mountains for the BEST curvy driving in the entire eastern US, (http://www.taleofthedragon.com/), up and over near Gatlinburg (Pidgin Forge if you feel like it), then cut across the pass for some more great driving, with a stop over at Clingman's Dome for another stretch of the legs and a superb view from the highest point of the mountains, and back to Maggies Vally for a late dinner.

Sun I leave MV and head back to Cherokee to get onto the BR PKway and just drive it all the way up to Blowing Rock. Stopping at Linn Cove to look at the Viaduct, and stopping a bunch of other places just to look and take pics. Than a fun drive thought the countryside back to Raleigh.

Don't forget to check out the many websites about attractions, and the BRP website for attractions, events, and most-importantly, CLOSINGS!
Directions - Blue Ridge Parkway

The last time I did that loop, there was a section directly north of Asheville that was closed due to a rockfall, I detoured east a bit on the interstate (booooring!) then up some back roads that turned out to be super fun too.

Safe driving!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
not a fan of the Va portion here either. I'd do Blowing Rock to Asheville or the portion south of Asheville.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
North and West of Asheville through the high country is best and down through Haywood County, the Waynesville area and continue on to Cherokee and down over the border into Helen, GA. Gorgeous ride. Best to get lodging either at the VA border somewhere around Abingdon VA, Damascus VA, Johnson TN etc. Jonesborough TN is another awesome quaint town to stay right IN the Smokies.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
Sure it makes sense. We've done variations of this trip many times. Book your accommodations first is my only advice. Mountains are a busy place during the fall. If you can go during the week you might have a better experience and perhaps cheaper rooms. Have a great trip.
Yes this.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are better more scenic trips than that one that I would take if I were you

Would you like some suggestions?
Yes, Please.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I agree: I've driven the southern section from Cherokee up to Blowing Rock several times (at different times of the year).

I usually do a 3-day / 2-night trip,
Google Trip/map:
Maggie Valley, NC to Blowing Rock, NC - Google Maps

If you leave Fri from work and stop for dinner, it's about 5 hours to Maggies Vallie, where there are a lot of nice, reasonable BnBs and Inns,
(It's only about 45 min drive up to Asheville if you want to do that too).

Sat drive south to Cherokee (good tourstie things there), then to Fontana Dam (excellent pit stop, visitors center and leg stretcher - eye opener), then around the southern tip of the mountains for the BEST curvy driving in the entire eastern US, (http://www.taleofthedragon.com/), up and over near Gatlinburg (Pidgin Forge if you feel like it), then cut across the pass for some more great driving, with a stop over at Clingman's Dome for another stretch of the legs and a superb view from the highest point of the mountains, and back to Maggies Vally for a late dinner.

Sun I leave MV and head back to Cherokee to get onto the BR PKway and just drive it all the way up to Blowing Rock. Stopping at Linn Cove to look at the Viaduct, and stopping a bunch of other places just to look and take pics. Than a fun drive thought the countryside back to Raleigh.

Don't forget to check out the many websites about attractions, and the BRP website for attractions, events, and most-importantly, CLOSINGS!
Directions - Blue Ridge Parkway

The last time I did that loop, there was a section directly north of Asheville that was closed due to a rockfall, I detoured east a bit on the interstate (booooring!) then up some back roads that turned out to be super fun too.

Safe driving!
Thank you very much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina