Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:39 PM

133 posts, read 559,166 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been lurking in the wings, reading post and researching North Carolina living for about a month or so now.

My story is like so many of the ones I've read here.

My wife and I are in are mid 40's we have 3 teen age children.
We were both born and raised here in Boston, MA
We have a good amount of equity in our current house.
Her occupation is in electronics we don't think employment would be a problem for her.
My job situation is a little tricky. I do very well in my field but a lot of it has to do with this area. I think I'd still do well but I know I'd be giving up more then salary. Like my pension for instance, annuity, the same medical plan I've had all my life, things like that. It may just be my the security I feel here.

Like so many of you we are tiered of the rat race, the congestion, hostile attitudes, pollution, snow, etc...........
We love the idea of living in a friendlier less populated , greener and cleaner place. We think North Carolina is that place. Particularly the lake area's north of Charlotte. We don't know exactly were yet or if such a place actually exists.

I'm sorry for rambling.
What I'm getting at is this.

What was the hardest thing you had to get past in order to make the move?

What got you to the point were you stopped talking about it and just did it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 07:01 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
The hardest part for me leaving Conn was family. It took me over 2 years to get over the crying spells. Everybodys birthday,family cookouts, getting together for dinners on Sunday all of that. I now love it and would never change anything. But it did take me 2 years. Almost like getting over a death in the family.Don't want to scare anyone, maybe I am just sensitive.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
In the opposite direction, sort of, we are from here (chapel hill) and my sister moved to new hampshire for 6 years. She and her now husband moved for his job. The first opportunity she had to move back to nc, they did. For them, the move was hard because it was too cold, no family, too cold, no family, too cold, no family!

I have met many people who have moved and loved it. The point is this, regardless of where you are moving, if you have lived in an area you love for a long time, it is going to be tough to move!

I moved from cary to wake forest and I felt lost for about a month! I didn't know where any thing was, I have had to find a new doctor, dentist, hair salon, etc So, even a town to town move is tough.

I think if everyone is ready to move it will be fine, but there will be culture shock. It is hard not knowing where to go to find things, getting a house packed and unpacked, making new friends, and just fitting in.

Leigh

Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Hello All,

I've been lurking in the wings, reading post and researching North Carolina living for about a month or so now.

Her occupation is in electronics we don't think employment would be a problem for her.
My job situation is a little tricky. I do very well in my field but a lot of it has to do with this area. I think I'd still do well but I know I'd be giving up more then salary. Like my pension for instance, annuity, the same medical plan I've had all my life, things like that. It may just be my the security I feel here.

Like so many of you we are tiered of the rat race, the congestion, hostile attitudes, pollution, snow, etc...........
We love the idea of living in a friendlier less populated , greener and cleaner place. We think North Carolina is that place. Particularly the lake area's north of Charlotte. We don't know exactly were yet or if such a place actually exists.

I'm sorry for rambling.

I guess you are looking around the Lake Norman area?

That is a really nice area. There is a really nice urban type development being proposed for that area. I can't remember the name of it though. I'm sure you will hear about it when looking.

You will not get rid of the traffic though...lol

I have driven from Salem to Boston several times during morning rush hour. It did not seem much worse than our metro areas. Go figure

Old 09-30-2006, 05:42 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Default JMO, but in your shoes I wouldn't

Hello Eddy G,

This may not be a popular opinion, but I'm known for being a straight shooter, so here goes. If you've got a great job with a pension plan, annuity and great medical plan that's dependent upon living where you do, and neither you or your wife have jobs lined up yet, there is no way in the wide world I would give that up to move anywhere in N.C. at this point.

Someone already mentioned that the traffic isn't much better in Charlotte than in Boston. I agree. I also believe that it will only get worse in the years ahead. Approximately 80,000 people moved to Charlotte in the last year alone. The schools, the infrastructure, the government is unprepared for the huge influx of growth and it is nowhere near over yet. I'm not bashing Charlotte, btw, I'd make the same recommendation if you wanted to move anywhere else in N.C - weighing what you have against how much you have to lose. Is this REALLY a good trade off for you at this time in your lives?

I don't envy you those cold winters. I spent my senior year of High School just outside of Boston, when my Dad was at Harvard's International School of Affairs for a year. My gosh, the winters were brutal to me, BUT, I'm from the South. You've lived there all of your life. JMO, but in your shoes, I would wait until I retired. Obviously it's your call, not mine. There are many things that I love about N.C., but it isn't Nirvana. I'm pretty flexible and can adapt to most places, plus I'm a N.C. native and there are many things I love about living here. I am still *VERY" constrained from advising you to move to N.C. based on the information that you've given as well as what I know about North Carolina's economy.

My intent is to help. I hope that you give it more serious consideration. If you were 22-25 I'd probably say * what do you have to lose by trying?" but mid 40's with 2 kids in High School, good jobs, and everything else that you have going for you, I just can't advise you to move to N.C. at this time. JMHO.

Best wishes in making your decision!

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Hello All,

I'm sorry for rambling.

Last edited by Cassie; 09-30-2006 at 06:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2006, 06:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Lake Norman area is great. It is getting crowded (or to me it is) but crowded to me may not be the same to you but I grew up here and can remember alot of the new home sites as places I used to ride dirt bikes etc.

I would take some of Cassie's advice but still come down for a trip and see what your first impression is. You can only get so much from forums such as these.

Good luck with everthing.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:26 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Default Maybe.. but

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Lake Norman area is great. It is getting crowded (or to me it is) but crowded to me may not be the same to you but I grew up here and can remember alot of the new home sites as places I used to ride dirt bikes etc.

I would take some of Cassie's advice but still come down for a trip and see what your first impression is. You can only get so much from forums such as these.

Good luck with everthing.
I was going to add the part about visiting, with the disclaimer that visiting somewhere and actually living there can be quite different! Anyway visiting is good advice, Charlotte Agent, as long as one remembers that it isn't the same as living somewhere. No where near the same! Even though I'm from N.C. I'd been gone long enough to know that things had changed so I made over a dozen trips during a 7 month period before we bought in N.C. ( and yep, I felt like I was on vacation on every one of them.) Heck, my husband felt like he was on vacation the first few months that he lived in N.C. He is not a native North Carolinian. It took him far longer than that to adapt to reality and what he says now is that he never realized how good he had it before. For that we are both grateful. Life is a learning experience. He doesn't miss the lousy D.C. area commute in the least. He does miss his family, all of whom are native northern Virginians. He also misses the *far* better job opportunities. Like I said I'm more adaptable. I've moved more than he has and enjoyed it but his point about job opportunities is well taken. He's been offered jobs in both Charlotte and Raleigh, btw. The difference in pay isn't worth it considering the higher cost of living in either place compared to where we live now. It isn't worth for me either in my job field. Plus North Carolina has more than a few problems re: health insurance. Again, there are many things that I love about N.C. but I try to put myself in the shoes of the person who is asking......and it seems to me that Eddy G has an awful lot to give up in order to make a move that appears, at this point to be based on "maybes." Is that a word? <Giggle>

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-30-2006 at 07:53 PM..

Old 10-01-2006, 08:42 AM

Awesome advise guys thank you all very much.

This whole relocation thing started with us believe it or not because we were thinking about buying a little summer place in NH. Some were we could get away for the week ends. Then I started think about how much I hate the winters now and how expensive and wasteful it would be to buy a place we only used less then 6 months a year. It went from that to looking for a place we could go enjoy year round, to relocation.

You folks hit my point right the head. The biggest part for us right now was WHEN we move not if.

To move now would be the most difficult for all the reasons we have talked about and more. My oldest is in the Army and away at training for another year before she comes home to finish college. My other two are High school and Junior High. Our biggest concern is that they would come with us when ever we do move, now 10 or God forbid 20 years from now.

Of course retirement would be ideal money wise but quality of life issues are what this is all about to begin with and We don't want to wait that long. Working the next 20 years to enjoy our last 15 to 20 isn't the way to go.

N.C. may or may not be the place for us. I still think it is. Over the years I have seen more people run to Florida then any were else and from my research N.C. offers us more of the life style we'd be looking for.

Ideally I was thinking that we could make the move in another 7yrs when we are both 50. We would still have to work but at no were near the pace we do know. Sort of a semi retirement. It would hit my pension a little but my hope and wish is the quality of life in N.C. would out weigh that money.

These are all economical factors we are trying to go over, pension at 50, 55, home equity now or in 7 years. that sort of thing.

I really enjoy all the help and advice. What I was really looking for was what it was that put you over the hump of talking about relocating and doing it.

For some its a job opportunity and others its a family thing. I'm curious if there are and I'm sure there are a few who just pick up and leave one day.

More so are there people like me who aren't wealthy or rich but in a medium income bracket in a similar situation who made the move as I described.
That and any other info is most appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:55 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Just FYI, I see you compaired Florida to NC...... well, NC is the next Florida without a doubt. There are even tons of people moving to NC from Florida now (more than any other state except for NY). If you don't think that Florida is the place for you, several years for now, you would feel the same way about NC.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Just FYI, I see you compaired Florida to NC...... well, NC is the next Florida without a doubt. There are even tons of people moving to NC from Florida now (more than any other state except for NY). If you don't think that Florida is the place for you, several years for now, you would feel the same way about NC.
That's definitely the way I see it and one of our concerns. That's why we're researching now. So that when the time does come we can be as informed as possible.

It may not be a totally bad thing either. It's something we'll just have to watch. Getting in early could be financially beneficial before things top off but in the mean time a bust could happen at any moment.

In the long run intangibles like faith, luck, and courage have more to do with life making decisions then research, lending rates, economic factors, and the things for the most part we worry about.

At least for me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina