Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I believe, regardless of where you live, if you keep your beliefs to yourself, no one cares.
That's the way it should be, but rural areas (which definies most of Eastern NC) tend to have a lot of busybodies who (maybe well-intentionedly) ask newcomers what church they go to, invite them to church, drop religious references into conversations all the time, etc. a Pagan could easily grow uncomfortable with such regular displays of religion and implied judgment of any who aren't Christian (and I'm a native NC'ian)

I would never suggest someone looking for acceptance of Paganism to move to the RURAL South. But if they want to be near the ocean, that's all NC has to offer.

I second the suggestion of the West Coast to find both coastal geography AND tolerance of all religions. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Why mention that you are Pagan.
Because they want to? Maybe they want to be somewhere where they are allowed to mention their religion instead of staying quiet. Or is that asking for too much? Should we ask anyone who isn't just like you to shut up?

I agree that Wilmington is probably your best bet. But as you can see from the ridiculous posts on this thread, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Francois, don't you think she could find a like-minded, non-proselytizing community in the Triangle? I don't think she has to move to the west coast for that. Not sure she can find it on the NC coast, but Wilmington does have a pagan community (google is my friend) although I'm sure she would get plenty of invites to church in Wilmington, too. In Chapel Hill, though, I rarely run into any of that. There are plenty of people of all faiths here and not as much "witnessing" as I grew up with in SE NC.

Pagan Meetups near Wilmington, North Carolina - Pagan Meetups - Wilmington
Pagan Pride Raleigh
NCPCOW - Home

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
You are gonna be accepted just about like a Christian in Afghanistan

Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM

172 posts, read 477,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMoon3 View Post
My Husband and I want to move our 2 girls out of Kentucky and are really looking hard at the eastern part of North Carolina. We want to be closer to the ocean and closer to nature. We are looking for a tolerant, open minded community good for raising children and where we can make a decent living. We are Pagan and do not want to surround ourselves with bigots and Bible thumpers. We have a very live-and-let-live attitude and are hoping to expose our children to a more postive atmosphere than the close-minded ignorance we deal with here. We are a loving, happy, environmentally concious, connected family looking for a peaceful place to live. Asheville sounds good but a little bit west for us. Is there anyplace similar to that further to the east?
Rural NC isnt the Place to Look...just Trust me....you can see in this tread clearly...

Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Francois, don't you think she could find a like-minded, non-proselytizing community in the Triangle? I don't think she has to move to the west coast for that.
It is because she specified "coast" that I did not count the Triangle nor Asheville.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMoon3 View Post
My Husband and I want to move our 2 girls out of Kentucky and are really looking hard at the eastern part of North Carolina. We want to be closer to the ocean and closer to nature. We are looking for a tolerant, open minded community good for raising children and where we can make a decent living. We are Pagan and do not want to surround ourselves with bigots and Bible thumpers. We have a very live-and-let-live attitude and are hoping to expose our children to a more postive atmosphere than the close-minded ignorance we deal with here. We are a loving, happy, environmentally concious, connected family looking for a peaceful place to live. Asheville sounds good but a little bit west for us. Is there anyplace similar to that further to the east?

I would move anywhere but the South then and unless you wear a neon sign that says we are Pagan and if you are a bigot or Bible Thumper don't talk to us, no one is going to know or care anyway.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It is because she specified "coast" that I did not count the Triangle nor Asheville.
I could be wrong, but I though that was closer to the coast relative to Kentucky. Though I doubt much is there that would fit what she wants in Eastern Carolina, the Triangle isn't terribly far from the coast.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
As long as you don't talk down to Christians in say Wilmington NC (which is such a beautiful city. Wrightsville Beach is in a lot of movies), you'll be fine.

I know a few pagans (In Charlotte) and I would've never known at all that I've known for years. I didn't care.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, she didn't specify coast. She did specifically ask for something closer to the ocean than Asheville which isn't too hard to find in NC.

Quote:
We want to be closer to the ocean and closer to nature.
Asheville sounds good but a little bit west for us. Is there anyplace similar to that further to the east?
I think the Triangle fills the bill w/o having to go to California. Her family could live in a small western Triangle town like Chapel Hill/Carrboro or Pittsboro or Hillsborough or Saxapahaw (midway btwn Triad and Triangle, I guess) and be close to nature and a lot closer to the ocean than Asheville. Durham and I think Raleigh would also fill the bill for finding like-minded folks. There are several areas in Durham near the Eno that might be attractive to them from a "closer to nature" standpoint. I think Asheville has more nature-oriented activities than most of the Triangle and Eastern NC until you get right to the ocean, but the Triangle has some nice places to get out in nature and take a hike, etc, just not the fabulous views you get somewhere like Asheville. I think the Triangle and the surrounding areas in the counties probably have the highest population of people who identify as pagan in the state after Asheville. Certainly, the Triangle, is by and large, very tolerant of differing religious views. Of course, you can get a few bad apples here and there, but most people wouldn't care one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina