Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, that was my point, and that is exactly what I meant when I said ANY driver.
And no one has provided any citation to support the statement that it is illegal to turn right on red arrow, though the statement has been made, though one response linked to a law applying ONLY to motorcycles.
That the part you are mislead this poster in no shape or form claim only motorcycle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol43 View Post
In North Carolina, effective Dec. 1, 2007, motorcycles can make a left turn on red, after waiting 3 minutes with no traffic approaching, but only at intersections with trip wires embedded in the pavement.
This poster only stating a motorcycle would have a different road law with right on red. There is intersections stating for all drivers no right on red is not permissable and post 19 just simply states her opinion in which can be verified in the above link to the statue in what ways it can be done.
No reason to make a big deal over facts. http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/10.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That the part you are mislead this poster in no shape or form claim only motorcycle

This poster only stating a motorcycle would have a different road law with right on red. There is intersections stating for all drivers no right on red is not permissable and post 19 just simply states her opinion in which can be verified in the above link to the statue in what ways it can be done.
No reason to make a big deal over facts. http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/10.gif (broken link)
First please refer to the message (//www.city-data.com/forum/2616057-post18.html) I quoted in my response, as this is the statement I was challenging, not the off topic message about motorcycles immediately before my response.

The topic was about is it legal or illegal to make right on red turns when there is a RED ARROW on the traffic light. No specific type of vehicle was specified!!!! So lets go out on a limb here and assume that we are talking about the most common vehicle on our streets, a privately owned personal vehicle, driven by a person with a standard Class C drivers license.

I have also acknowledged that there are some intersections that are marked with signs "NO RIGHT ON RED", which at least to me requires no further explanation to understand the meaning. Now I could find and cite the law that forbids School Buses from ever making "right on red" turns, but that makes no sense in this discussion, no more than citing the motorcycle law, so I refrain from doing so.

I quoted a statement that says that is illegal to turn right on red arrow without any reference to which type of vehicle is being operated, or any other signs controlling the permissibility of turning right on red. I asked for a link to a citation of the law, and you responded with a motorcycle only law. I don't get it! (remember: I was quoting a message that did not in any way indicate what kind of vehicle was being driven)

Oh! and LEOs and Judges DO make a big deal over facts, so if it is actually illegal to turn right on a red arrow (for the majority of vehicles/drivers) as stated in message #18 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616057-post18.html I really would like to see a link to that law. (I can't find it )

Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
My DH called the HP to ask this question and they said YES, you are allowed to turn right on a red arrow after stopping. The law does not distinguish in this case between a red ball and a red arrow. The only time you cannot turn right on red in this state is if there is a sign saying you can't.
Here's a N&O article interviewing a HP that says the same thing:newsobserver.com |Crosstown Traffic - Turn? Turn. Turn!
As others have mentioned, the right arrow means it's a right turn lane only.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-26-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
The only time you cannot turn right on red in this state is if there is a sign saying you can't.
Exactly! I remember learning that in driver's ed.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,777 times
Default Come on DMV, make it clear!

Sent By: AVNC Date/Time: 7/12/2009 8:16:03 PM
Comment:
Dear Sir/madam, Kindly clarify what actions are allowed on a red arrow ( right turn ) for:
1. The inside lane, 2. for the outer lane. Can both lanes ( when there is more than one right turn lane) turn right on a red arrow after they come to a complete stop first? If so, then why do you have them if the red circular light means the same thing? I have been waiting for the green arrow and the drivers behind me are seething. Your DMV manual does not adequately detail what action(s) can be taken. Thank you. I appreciate the clarification!

Sent By: Contact Us Administrator Date/Time: 7/24/2009 4:48:14 PM
Comment:
Officially, you aren’t supposed to turn on a red arrow—a red circular light is okay after coming to a stop. Turns from the outer lane on a red arrow are generally ignored by law enforcement but you really should ask local law enforcement their ‘policy’—which varies greatly.

FROM: AVNC.. Well, it took NCDOT(DMV) 12 days to send me a reply, but I am thankful they did. It does beg the question, though, as to why NC cannot write a clear, concise and standardized STATE-WIDE LAW on this matter. I should not have to ask every local law enforcement agency their 'policy'. There should be only one policy and that is a state-wide policy. Come on DMV, please get your people back to the drawing board and rewrite your drivers manual and make it clear! Your current 'policy' simply does not work.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM

44 posts, read 245,182 times
It is fine as long as there is not sign stating otherwise. However most people will still do it including me. Don't be that guy who sits at a regular right turn and waits for the light.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Ref NCDOT
No vehicle shall make a right turn at a “red circular light” if the movement is prohibited
by an appropriate sign (§20-158, b, 2a).
No vehicle shall make a right turn at a red arrow unless the movement is allowed by an
appropriate sign (MUTCD Sections 4D.04 and 4D.05).

In other words you cant

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Don't be that guy who sits at a regular right turn and waits for the light.
You also shouldn't be "that guy" who blows the horn at the person in front who chooses not to turn right on red. You can't force someone to turn right on red if they choose not to do so.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM

22 posts, read 50,256 times
This may be old but I figured it's worth posting. You CANNOT turn right on a red arrow. The only time you are able to turn right is a red ball light with the appropriate signage. My source you might ask? The ticket i received today stating I ran a red light thats going to cost me $125. I talked to the officer about it and that's what he said, I thought he may have been wrong, talked to the DA about it, and they said the same thing, then I went to the family lawyer to see what she said and much like them red arrow mean's stop, no turning, regardless of traffic.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
This thread is chock full of bad information that will sooner or later get someone a ticket; or worse an accident.
  • For a circular red light, you can make a right turn after coming to a stop as long as there is no sign saying otherwise.
  • For a red arrow light, you must stop and wait for green unless there is a sign saying otherwise.
4.2 No Right Turn on Red
NCGS Authority: §20-158(b)(2a)
NCAC Authority: N/A
TEPPL Reference: N/A
Ordinance Required: Yes
Ordinance Type: 4
Overlap Restriction: None
Typical Signs: R10-11, R10-11a
Other Signs: R10-11b, R10-17a
Guidance:
No vehicle shall make a right turn at a "red circular light" if the movement is prohibited by an appropriate sign (§20-158, b, 2a).
No vehicle shall make a right turn at a red arrow unless the movement is allowed by an appropriate sign (MUTCD Sections 4D.04 and 4D.05).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina