Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 28,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're looking to relocate from Western Massachusetts in a few years after our youngest graduates from high school. We've been researching different areas but have not been able to narrow anything down. We keep vacillating between North Carolina & South Carolina so I'm hoping people on this site can help provide information which might save us some time and make things easier. We're planning on a visit in the spring and need an area to focus on for our first trip.

We love where we live now (except for the cold & icy winters) so we are trying to find the same thing, but warmer. We live on the Connecticut River in a small farming town (pop. 4,000) and are nestled in the center of a prominent five college New England area (Smith, UMass, Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire...to name the big ones - there are more!). We're somewhat off the beaten path but have many amenities very close by. The town we live in is very conservative but the two college towns on each side of us are very liberal and eclectic. They offer much in culture, arts & entertainment but still have a small town feel.

Here's what we're looking for: A small town with very low crime, either on a lake or river or very close to one. We are into boating and water skiing so have been focusing on the lake areas. We don't want to live too close to hurricane-prone areas but would still like to be somewhat close to the ocean, though this is not critical.

We're looking for a town with a population of between 2,000-10,000 but still be less than an hour away from the nearest huge city. A town with an older downtown area/historic district with older homes would be nice and we need to be within a 15-20 minute drive of a Walmart, K-mart, grocery store or similar stores for basic shopping and within an hour or so of a mall for major shopping.

The price of a decent sized home (1500-2000 sq ft), preferably with some acreage, and runs around the $200,000-$250,000 price range. Everything I am seeing is in a sub-division. Are there any home that are NOT in sub-divisions? We would really like a little more privacy & space.

Lastly, we would like someplace that is dog friendly since we have two Welsh Corgis that are very friendly & active and wouldn't mind making a few friends.

I know I'm asking the impossible but if I can find a town with as many of these things as possible it would be great. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? What are the main difference between the states? Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,318 times
This blog is dated 2 years ago, where did you settle and why? I am considering the same options!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 AM

6 posts, read 28,562 times
We visited the Anderson/Greenville area, some of Georgia and Charlotte, NC but didn't feel the area suited us and what we are looking for so we stayed put.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM

431 posts, read 1,137,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobze View Post
We visited the Anderson/Greenville area, some of Georgia and Charlotte, NC but didn't feel the area suited us and what we are looking for so we stayed put.
What about outside Wilmington? There are a lot of smaller areas from what I know. Not to mention Wilmington has everything and more that you would have in MA.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
I highly recommend Aiken, SC; it comes very close to fitting your criteria.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,152,299 times
Raleigh or Greensboro!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Raleigh or Greensboro!
I think you missed this part of the OP's requirements:
"We're looking for a town with a population of between 2,000-10,000..."

Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 PM

431 posts, read 1,137,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think you missed this part of the OP's requirements:
"We're looking for a town with a population of between 2,000-10,000..."
However, the OP also said they visited Charlotte.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
However, the OP also said they visited Charlotte.
And it's obvious they didn't move here because Charlotte doesn't satisfy their criteria.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,325,422 times
Don't know if you're still interested in moving or happy to stay put, but Hillsborough is a quaint historic town with the Eno River running through it, with several great locations in Durham too. Not sure how much land you can find for under $250,000, but there are definitely options other than the subdivisions. You have all the basic shopping you are looking for within five minutes, Walmart, Home Depot, a couple Food Lions, Weaver St. Market (like a small Whole Foods), several great restaurants and bars. You're only 10-20 minutes to all the big shopping and entertainment in Durham and Chapel Hill, and Raleigh is within a 30 minute drive. Hillsborough is a bit liberal, yet there are still plenty of conservatives and locals who live there. There are several lakes within an hour/hour and a half drive for boating and skiing (six I can think of off the top of my head).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina