Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,664,089 times

Advertisements

The argument was not whether or not slavery existed in other states. Charleston was the largest slave port in the U.S. Almost all kidnapped blacks came through Charlestons ports. That's the famous history Charleston has to live with. Theres no dispute about it. The reason why SC is still somewhat racially oppressed, is because SC was also the largest harbinger of kidnapped blacks throughout the slave period. The harshest treatment of victims, took place in SC. Charleston's main economic strength for hundreds of years, was the slave trade. After the abolishment of slavery, Charleston's reign as a major southern city also came to a halt. That's fact!

Although NC's hands are not clean either. In comparison to all of the other southern states, North Carolina never played a significant role in the slave trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 03:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
The argument was not whether or not slavery existed in other states. Charleston was the largest slave port in the U.S. Almost all kidnapped blacks came through Charlestons ports. That's the famous history Charleston has to live with. Theres no dispute about it. The reason why SC is still somewhat racially oppressed, is because SC was also the largest harbinger of kidnapped blacks throughout the slave period. The harshest treatment of victims, took place in SC. Charleston's main economic strength for hundreds of years, was the slave trade. After the abolishment of slavery, Charleston's reign as a major southern city also came to a halt. That's fact!

Although NC's hands are not clean either. In comparison to all of the other southern states, North Carolina never played a significant role in the slave trade.

Nobody is disputing anything - but none of this has anything to do with helping the op find a place to live - stop trying to hijack the thread.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,664,089 times
I'm not really trying to hijack. Just making a point. Ultimately it's up to his personal tastes. The best thing to do is visit both states intensively, before making a decision. Just don't expect the prosperity or educated population to be like NC.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,842,510 times
I have traveled extensively throughout both states and metro.m is correct in most of his points. SC's rural areas are similar to NC's rural areas especially close to the border between the two states, just as a rural NC town near the VA border has a lot in common with VA. However the urban areas of NC have way more in common with the mid atlantic than they do with SC's urban areas. I also agree that I felt the undertone of racial oppression and religious fundamentalism in SC far more than in NC and in Charleston the open display of confederate flags was a part of that. Note that I have nothing against the confederate flag in itself and in fact support the rights of states to separate from the U.S. if they wish to, however the VAST majority of people who display that flag do so not out of an anti-federalist ideology but as part of a racist ideology.

SC does have some laws I agree with such as lower driving ages and lax fireworks laws.

Don't delude yourself into thinking of NC as some sort of northern state, this is the land of tobacco and slaves. Where do you think all the blacks in this state came from? This is also a state filled with right-wing religious intolerance, just like all bible belt states. It just so happens that we have some urban areas in NC that have highly educated, progressive-minded people, and SC will take a while to catch up in that regard.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:35 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,123,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The two states have a tremendous amount in common; they actually used to be one state.
I agree with most of your post, and forgive me for being nitpicky, but this is not correct! North and South Carolina were once the same province, but they were never the same state. Parts of Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida were also part of the original Carolina Charter. NC and SC split in 1729, well before they became states. Province of South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina does have many more colleges and universities than South Carolina, and this may be relevant to the original poster given his career. Other than that, as the discussion makes clear, it is hard to draw a simple comparison between the two. It is easier to advise on specific metro areas, especially since some (like the greater Charlotte area) cross state lines. Which ones seem most interesting?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I agree with most of your post, and forgive me for being nitpicky, but this is not correct! North and South Carolina were once the same province, but they were never the same state. Parts of Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida were also part of the original Carolina Charter. NC and SC split in 1729, well before they became states. Province of South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina does have many more colleges and universities than South Carolina, and this may be relevant to the original poster given his career. Other than that, as the discussion makes clear, it is hard to draw a simple comparison between the two. It is easier to advise on specific metro areas, especially since some (like the greater Charlotte area) cross state lines. Which ones seem most interesting?
Thanks for the history lesson

I agree, even though the two are neighbors, they are diffenent in many ways. And like all other states in the union, there are good and bad places to live. It all comes down to what makes a good fit for the individual person.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:58 PM

674 posts, read 796,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I have traveled extensively throughout both states and metro.m is correct in most of his points. SC's rural areas are similar to NC's rural areas especially close to the border between the two states, just as a rural NC town near the VA border has a lot in common with VA. However the urban areas of NC have way more in common with the mid atlantic than they do with SC's urban areas. I also agree that I felt the undertone of racial oppression and religious fundamentalism in SC far more than in NC and in Charleston the open display of confederate flags was a part of that. Note that I have nothing against the confederate flag in itself and in fact support the rights of states to separate from the U.S. if they wish to, however the VAST majority of people who display that flag do so not out of an anti-federalist ideology but as part of a racist ideology.

SC does have some laws I agree with such as lower driving ages and lax fireworks laws.

Don't delude yourself into thinking of NC as some sort of northern state, this is the land of tobacco and slaves. Where do you think all the blacks in this state came from? This is also a state filled with right-wing religious intolerance, just like all bible belt states. It just so happens that we have some urban areas in NC that have highly educated, progressive-minded people, and SC will take a while to catch up in that regard.
Hey get back in your time machine an come on back from 1830. We have all sorts of cool stuff, like equality, Cosby Show re-runs, and tolerance here in 2007.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,842,510 times
What does that even mean?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM

674 posts, read 796,775 times
Means you are stuck in the past, man. Old ways of thinking and outdated sterotypes. You are like the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM

202 posts, read 406,864 times
Thanks to everyone for your replies... I actually am planning a visit to both states in November or December of this year.

One of the concerns I have with NC is that it seems that the influx of transplants is through the roof. Most everything I am reading reflects this. I don't want to move to an area that's going to oversaturate itself and deal with the common problems associated with such.

I am very eager to check out both states as extensively as my work schedule (and wallet) will allow.

THANKS again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina