Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM

14 posts, read 41,409 times

Advertisements

Just want to get some opinions. There have been a good deal of people moving here for a while now. With the housing markets in many cities getting ready to die a painful death, do you guys think even MORE people will be moving here to North Carolina??? NC has gotten a lot of press as a great place to live. Add in people's getting burned in a housing bubble that will pop over the next 18 months. Won't there be an accelerating number of people moving here from Florida and even California once the credit crunch and housing markets really start to deflate???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free78 View Post
Just want to get some opinions. There have been a good deal of people moving here for a while now. With the housing markets in many cities getting ready to die a painful death, do you guys think even MORE people will be moving here to North Carolina??? NC has gotten a lot of press as a great place to live. Add in people's getting burned in a housing bubble that will pop over the next 18 months. Won't there be an accelerating number of people moving here from Florida and even California once the credit crunch and housing markets really start to deflate???
It is estimated that 70 people move to Charlotte EVERY DAY now. Not to be unwelcoming, but it really does seem to have gotten out of control at this point and I for one wish things would slow down. Unfortunately that is not what is being projected to happen.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:50 PM

674 posts, read 795,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is estimated that 70 people move to Charlotte EVERY DAY now. Not to be unwelcoming, but it really does seem to have gotten out of control at this point and I for one wish things would slow down. Unfortunately that is not what is being projected to happen.
Amen to that. It is out of control. People think this is the land of milk and honey, but it will soon run out. It's scary to think of what will happen soon.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,202,578 times
I'm just curious....if 70 people are moving into Charlotte everyday--how many are moving out?? That does sound like a lot of people. I just have to believe not everyone is going to be happy with their move and move on. Where are they all going to work???

Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 AM

674 posts, read 795,853 times
Well, people come to these boards and whine like crazy about hiring practices in NC being so slow, can't find a job, wah wah. They don't realize it is NOT the NC companies' hiring practices that is the issue, it is the fact that there simply are not enough jobs for 70 new people each day, not even in the land o' milk and honey.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,662,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's a false estimate. That would equate to 25,550 people per year! How is that when the entire Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) only grows by 21,000+ people per year? Like I've said, Charlotte forumers get an A+ in marketing. Most of the population Charlotte has accounted for, has been through liberal annexation anyway.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,068,053 times
Mecklenburg county from 2000 to 2006 added 130,000 people, 19% growth.

Union county, Mecklenburg's eastern neighbor, grew by 52,000 people, 42% growth, and is the 15th fastest growing county in the nation.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
That's a false estimate. That would equate to 25,550 people per year! How is that when the entire Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) only grows by 21,000+ people per year? Like I've said, Charlotte forumers get an A+ in marketing. Most of the population Charlotte has accounted for, has been through liberal annexation anyway.
My mistake, I should have said 70 a day move to the metro region, not just Charlotte. But after searching for the article I had read that statistic in I was able to find out that I was wrong yet again. According to the MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) figures, 137 people move here a day - for a total of 50,000 a year.

I am not sure why you think I think this is a good thing - believe me, I do not. Your assertion that posting these statistics is to "market" Charlotte is way off base. And your comment about "liberal annexation" is even further off base - there hasn't been much left to annex in the last few years.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM

58,431 posts, read 26,762,925 times
Because the housing bubble has burst is why the whole housing market is down or dead in som areas.

Many people from the Midwest/Northeast sell their house because of high taxes, cost of living, etc and move to NC buying a house for cash.

If they cannot sell their existing house they cannot buy a new one.

Until the mortgage market comes back around, housing purchases will be down everywhere.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM

64 posts, read 196,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free78 View Post
With the housing markets in many cities getting ready to die a painful death, do you guys think even MORE people will be moving here to North Carolina??? NC has gotten a lot of press as a great place to live. Add in people's getting burned in a housing bubble that will pop over the next 18 months. Won't there be an accelerating number of people moving here from Florida and even California once the credit crunch and housing markets really start to deflate???
I'm sure NC will continue to encourage growth by attracting business to the state, which will draw people from all over the world. The higher learning institutions are stepping up their efforts to build an educated workforce, which will attract people. And I think the people who moved out of NC in the 50's and 60's will continue their migration back home for retirement. Also, the huge Hispanic population (the fastest growing racial/ethnic group in North Carolina), will continue - estimated by the census to have increased 393% in the 1990s.

Bottom line, is their are so many factors feeding the growth of the state. While one may decline, their are plenty others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina