Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM

32 posts, read 41,347 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been researching extensively a move to either Charlotte or WS. It seems that both have really good school districts (#1 priority) and I would be able to transfer with my current employer. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, which is the better of the 2? I've noticed that with Charlotte the good schools are all in millionaire row, which I cannot afford. The top of our budget is $225k for a 4bed/2bath in a good school area. Is that more feasible in WS? I haven't been to the Winston Salem area in about 20 years, and have never been to Charlotte, so I have no idea what I'm doing. Any imput is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
You are better off in getting through response, by asking your different views in the cities you are looking into. This way more locals can give you ideas on what best suits your needs. However please refrain from cross posting by catering each post to look different.

For Charlotte forum click here Charlotte
For Winston Salem click here Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point

Good Luck and look forward to coming to North Carolina

Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times
Both cities are great places to live, but they have very different vibes. In just a few words, Charlotte is hustle/bustle, lots of traffic, very spread out, and of course much larger so it offers a lot of activities and things to do. Winston-Salem offers a high quality of life in much smaller package--lots going for it. Arts, historical character, great schools, easy access to the mountains, local wineries, festivals, rural-feeling suburbs with quick access to the city amenities, great local restaurants and shopping, and a vibrant downtown that's getting better and better all the time. If you can't tell, I much prefer Winston-Salem (I've lived in both places)--for me the benefits of smaller city living significantly outweigh the bigger city hassles of Charlotte. But again, Charlotte is a great place to live as well, so you just need to try to spend some time in both to form your own opinion.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Can't go wrong with either, but WS is more affordable IMO.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Charlotte is a really, really big Winston and Winston is a really really small version Of Charlotte. Both are similar, just on different levels. Charlotte has tons of amenities such as greenways, White water center, Roller coaster park, NFL, NBA, MLL, Minor League Baseball, Minor League Hockey, lakes, great shopping and amazing malls, NASCAR, some of our parades are among the top 5 in the nation such as the thanksgiving day parade, etc. Tons of family friendly events practically weekly

But as far as just schools and great neighborhoods. They are both great. Charlotte is on the SC border so as far as affordable, you could live in SC. I hear Fort Mill has a good school system?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingDixie View Post
Hello,
I've noticed that with Charlotte the good schools are all in millionaire row, which I cannot afford.
well there you go. live with blanket statements, die with blanket statements.

I think you should go to W-S. whar they ain't all uppity an' elitist. whar a common mayun can buy a common house in a common nayborehood 'stead oven gittin' jus a chince fer a looky lew.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte is a really, really big Winston and Winston is a really really small version Of Charlotte. Both are similar, just on different levels.
IMO this is an over-generalization. I think there are some important differences, including:

--Climate. Winston's slightly higher elevation makes a noticeable difference. More hardwoods and fewer pine trees, and cooler nights in summer (when it can often be sweltering in Charlotte at night).

--Character. Sort of hard to define specifically, but in many ways Charlotte has struggled to identify itself over the years, and for a long time it's been trying to become more than it is. Not necessarily a bad thing, but many people over the years haven't been satisfied, wanting it to grow to be more like Atlanta. Winston seems entirely comfortable with its history and its size, but that's not to say we don't want to improve (like more downtown activities and a broader economic base, as examples).

--The Winston landscape is more interesting, with many hills and views of the mountains (esp. Pilot Mountain and the Sauratowns). You can find rural and semi-rural areas much closer to the city, so you can enjoy a more laid back lifestyle while being minutes from downtown.

--Winston has more unique architecture in the old buildings and homes, perhaps partly because its wealth was accumulated much earlier than Charlotte's.

Perhaps none of the above are significant to some, but to say they are "very similar" is misleading, I think. But again, not a slam against Charlotte--it's a great place to live if you want a bigger city.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:50 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Charlotte has a lot of history, it just grew and continues to grow. I don't see architecture of older buildings or different trees making the living experience any different. They're 2 hours or so apart.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Lets try to answer the OP questions please.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingDixie View Post
Hello,
I've been researching extensively a move to either Charlotte or WS. It seems that both have really good school districts (#1 priority) and I would be able to transfer with my current employer. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, which is the better of the 2? I've noticed that with Charlotte the good schools are all in millionaire row, which I cannot afford. The top of our budget is $225k for a 4bed/2bath in a good school area. Is that more feasible in WS? I haven't been to the Winston Salem area in about 20 years, and have never been to Charlotte, so I have no idea what I'm doing. Any imput is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM

32 posts, read 41,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
well there you go. live with blanket statements, die with blanket statements.

I think you should go to W-S. whar they ain't all uppity an' elitist. whar a common mayun can buy a common house in a common nayborehood 'stead oven gittin' jus a chince fer a looky lew.
Don't get your panties in a twist. My mother grew up in Myers Park, had a house on 4th street, lived in Elizabeth... Etc. So I know what that area runs. Granted she hasn't lived there in 40 years, but this wonderful thing called the internet can show me housing values and the best schools. I know Providence area has consistently good schools on paper but have heard mixed reviews from parents, which is the whole reason I came to a forum versus just looking at the statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina