Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will christians allow a secular society takover?
No Way! 8 20.51%
Yes, its already happened. 7 17.95%
I hope not 13 33.33%
Lets vote for Christian Leaders. 5 12.82%
You are paranoid! 7 17.95%
The end is near anyway 2 5.13%
I will be caught up in the twinkling 1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
maybe we will check it out, I just want somewhere that teaches and is entertaining.
Just be sure what ever church you go to they teach the Bible and point people to Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There is a web site you might like. Have you ever heard of Charles Stanley? He's one of the "pros". It's Intouch.org he has some great some about how to teach your kids about the bible. Good Luck!
I enjoy Charles Stanley, his sermons are available on iTunes as a podcast, so I listent to him on my iPod. Also Joyce Meyer, and Robert Schuller (Sr. and Jr.) from the Crystal Cathedral. All very uplifiting!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I enjoy Charles Stanley, his sermons are available on iTunes as a podcast, so I listent to him on my iPod. Also Joyce Meyer, and Robert Schuller (Sr. and Jr.) from the Crystal Cathedral. All very uplifiting!
Yes they are all good, but Charles Stanley is my favorite, have you read any of his books? I think they are VERY good.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Yes they are all good, but Charles Stanley is my favorite, have you read any of his books? I think they are VERY good.
I have not read any of Dr. Stanley's books yet, but I do have a couple of Joyce Meyer's. Very good.

I love listening to Charles Stanley, not only to what he has to say, but how he says it; just the sound of his voice is soothing. Is there a book of his that you especially enjoyed?

Old 10-06-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I have not read any of Dr. Stanley's books yet, but I do have a couple of Joyce Meyer's. Very good.

I love listening to Charles Stanley, not only to what he has to say, but how he says it; just the sound of his voice is soothing. Is there a book of his that you especially enjoyed?
I like the The Living the Spirit Filled Life and Listening to God, but there are all good. He also one called Keeping Your Kids on Your Team if you have children.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:40 PM

16 posts, read 81,289 times
Default Are you a good person? ????????????????????????

Interesting comments!!!!!!

I am concerned regarding statements of "I want to be entertained" by church, and "churches I go to do not mention sin" its all about love. This is quite disturbing and I feel is the wrong idea of church.

You should be hearing about sin.

If you are looking for safety in the messages at church, than I would suggest
Dr. Phil or maybe Anthony Robbins. If you are in a church that wants to tickle your ears with self help than I fear for that body of people because thay are being decieved!

Now I do not mean to say that church should not be uplifting or inspirational, but a good leader will do and say things you may not like but it is for the overall spiritual well being of the flock. Just like how you would treat your children.

Joel Osteen who preaches to a stadium of thousands each week is an example
of what I am getting at. Now, he means well and I am sure he is not evil or anything like that, but his politically correct delivery of the gospel just doesn't sit well because he deviates from the truths that are the cornerstone of christianity.

When asked by Larry King:

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God will judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

This guy is a nice guy, he is probably a "Good person" but, he is not saving souls by revealing the seriousness of this world and what is to come, I believe in the near future. He should be preparing these people to be right with God, and leave his opinion aside and preach Gods view, not his view.

The bible warns us not to get caught up in this:

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance with their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths†2 Timothy 4:3-4

Paul warned Timothy this is a warning sign of the end time.

Now if you are a christian these biblical facts are the facts, I do not hate any muslim, jew anybody. Nor do I carry any air of superiority, God cares for every one and wants every one to come to him at his or her own free will. But if you think you are a true christian you need to discover if you really are walking right with God, and what is walking right really mean?

I give you a warning today that it is dangerous to assume you are right with God, why not KNOW you are right?

In the past my view was that God would be lenient and nobody is perfect yada yada, and quite frankly I disregarded scripture and made my own view of the word, and in time God revealed that I had made my own GOD, and I realized that I was guilty of breaking the first of the commandments.

We are either in or out, and in love I hope that today you will all check your selves and make sure.......

Your salvation depends on it!

God wants you to recognize sin, he wants you to be sickened by sin, and repent ask forgiveness and fight not to do it again.

Do not justify your sin!

"There are ways that seemeth right unto man, but the end therof are the ways of death" Proverbs 14:12

So if I am a leader of Christians why would I not make you aware of sin?

The biblical facts are the biblical facts.

God hates Sin!

But loves You!

Are you a good person? check this site and find out......

http://wayofthemaster.com/goodperson.shtml

DD

Old 10-07-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydonuts View Post
Interesting comments!!!!!!

I am concerned regarding statements of "I want to be entertained" by church, and "churches I go to do not mention sin" its all about love. This is quite disturbing and I feel is the wrong idea of church.

You should be hearing about sin.

If you are looking for safety in the messages at church, than I would suggest
Dr. Phil or maybe Anthony Robbins. If you are in a church that wants to tickle your ears with self help than I fear for that body of people because thay are being decieved!

Now I do not mean to say that church should not be uplifting or inspirational, but a good leader will do and say things you may not like but it is for the overall spiritual well being of the flock. Just like how you would treat your children.

Joel Osteen who preaches to a stadium of thousands each week is an example
of what I am getting at. Now, he means well and I am sure he is not evil or anything like that, but his politically correct delivery of the gospel just doesn't sit well because he deviates from the truths that are the cornerstone of christianity.

When asked by Larry King:

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God will judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

This guy is a nice guy, he is probably a "Good person" but, he is not saving souls by revealing the seriousness of this world and what is to come, I believe in the near future. He should be preparing these people to be right with God, and leave his opinion aside and preach Gods view, not his view.

The bible warns us not to get caught up in this:

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance with their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths†2 Timothy 4:3-4

Paul warned Timothy this is a warning sign of the end time.

Now if you are a christian these biblical facts are the facts, I do not hate any muslim, jew anybody. Nor do I carry any air of superiority, God cares for every one and wants every one to come to him at his or her own free will. But if you think you are a true christian you need to discover if you really are walking right with God, and what is walking right really mean?

I give you a warning today that it is dangerous to assume you are right with God, why not KNOW you are right?

In the past my view was that God would be lenient and nobody is perfect yada yada, and quite frankly I disregarded scripture and made my own view of the word, and in time God revealed that I had made my own GOD, and I realized that I was guilty of breaking the first of the commandments.

We are either in or out, and in love I hope that today you will all check your selves and make sure.......

Your salvation depends on it!

God wants you to recognize sin, he wants you to be sickened by sin, and repent ask forgiveness and fight not to do it again.

Do not justify your sin!

"There are ways that seemeth right unto man, but the end therof are the ways of death" Proverbs 14:12

So if I am a leader of Christians why would I not make you aware of sin?

The biblical facts are the biblical facts.

God hates Sin!

But loves You!

Are you a good person? check this site and find out......

http://wayofthemaster.com/goodperson.shtml

DD
You brought out some good points, being good is not enough to get to Heaven according to the Bible, only asking for forgivenss of sin and accepting Jesus as your savior will do it.
God does not send anyone to hell, they send them selfs by refusing Jesus who is the ONLY way.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
Quote:
You brought out some good points, being good is not enough to get to Heaven according to the Bible, only asking for forgivenss of sin and accepting Jesus as your savior will do it.
God does not send anyone to hell, they send them selfs by refusing Jesus who is the ONLY way.
You have pointed out a common misperception of Christianity. Being good does nothing. I dont know how many times Ive heard from people " being a Christian is about helping people and understanding others, donating to charities " or saying how to be a "good Christian".

Only accepting Jesus as your Savior can you enter Heaven. Jesus has died for the sins of the world. It is up to you to decide.

I also was very disappointed to hear from others posting about how anything even related to Christmas is shunned up north. "Holiday trees"?? How do you say that and keep a straight face? It really makes you scratch your head.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I like the The Living the Spirit Filled Life and Listening to God, but there are all good. He also one called Keeping Your Kids on Your Team if you have children.
I have heard of 'Living the Spirit Filled Life' - I'll find that one to start. Is this the one you're referring to? http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/MurphChessLinus/spiritfilledlife.jpg (broken link)
[CENTER]I thought this one looked interesting as well, have you read it yet?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/MurphChessLinus/Livingextraordinary.jpg (broken link)[/CENTER]
Thank you for those suggestions ILNC!

Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 AM

72 posts, read 271,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I also was very disappointed to hear from others posting about how anything even related to Christmas is shunned up north. "Holiday trees"?? How do you say that and keep a straight face? It really makes you scratch your head.
It unfortunately grows stronger in NYC every year. The Christmas tree in Rocafella center will most likely turn into a "holiday tree" this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina