Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Miami and am crazy to leave Florida! I have 2 kids, 8 and 4, and would like to find a better place to raise them. Though I currently live in the big city, I'm not too fond of it. Also, I would need a place where finding a job won't be hard to do so.

any suggestions about places and jobs?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarcia79 View Post
Also, I would need a place where finding a job won't be hard to do so.
...any suggestions about places and jobs?
Take a look:
N.C. county-by-county unemployment rates :: WRAL.com

Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarcia79 View Post
any suggestions about places and jobs?
The best employment picture is in the upper Mid-West states: North Dakota, Nebraska, etc. if you want to stay in the east, New Hampshire and Virginia are much better than North Carolina. If you want a warmer climate, New Mexico and Texas are much better than North Carolina. North Carolina is ranked 47 among the states for jobs, as in this November 2012 report from the US Department of Labor: Unemployment Rates for States

Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I guess move to Orange County

Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I guess move to Orange County
I could never understand why some folks think that posting employment rates by county is actually helpful. There are only a handful of counties in this state that can take on additional newcomers by the thousands each year. With that said, a better way to find a "good county" is to look at growth rates and numerical growth since 2007. Also, look at the counties that have either lowered their unemployment or have kept the unemployment the same since 2007. If growth is high and unemployment has remained the same, then it's simple; those are your counties that are creating jobs.

In the case of Orange county, less than 10,000 people moved there since 2007. In counties such as Wake, 145,000 people moved there within the same time period. For Meck, there has been a numerical growth of 125,000 since 2007. Nothing against the likes of Orange county, but that county (and about 96 other counties in this state) simply can not employ folks at the rate that Meck and Wake has. They just can't.

When you take a look at the numbers, it's pretty clear where folks are moving to (and finding jobs) in NC and where they are not. The unemployment rate doesn't tell half of the true story IMO.

Quote:
All signs — and economists — point to a clear recovery under way in the Carolinas, with Charlotte leading the way for job and income growth. But the unemployment rate here is still above the national average. And will remain so through 2013
Forecast 2013: Charlotte to lead NC in job growth - Charlotte Business Journal

Quote:
The professor predicted more jobs and consumer spending, especially in the Triangle and Charlotte. Jobs magnet: Walden predicts the Research Triangle will take between 33 percent and 40 percent of all new jobs in North Carolina this year.
Economist: Triangle could take 40 percent of new N.C. jobs - Business - NewsObserver.com

^^^It's not a secret. Economists across the state all agree that recovery is coming, it will be slow, and Charlotte and the Triangle will lead the way. The only thing to remember about Charlotte is that 13% of its metro population is in South Carolina. In other words, jobs being created in SC suburbs of Charlotte are often ignored by NC economists. Being that metro Charlotte's second largest county is in SC, there is a good chance that finding a job or a home in "Charlotte" might actually mean a commute into SC (or a commute from SC). SC has a lower unemployment rate than NC btw (for those who like treating U/E rates as the gospel).

Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I could never understand why some folks think that posting UN-employment rates by county is actually helpful.
It demonstrates in easily understood numerical and graphic terms that in nearly every instance the uneducated and unqualified hopeful posting their unfocused desire for better won't have any better chance of finding one of the few jobs (in the short term) than by staying right where they are with family and friends and similar or perhaps even lower levels of UN-employment.

As for the actually educated or qualified or experienced hopeful posting their marginally more focused desire for better... they're still well advised to secure a job before uprooting and relocating a family or
(for the singles and younger) to have a big 'ol wad of cash to see them through until they do find the good job.

Clearer?
Quote:
Economists across the state all agree that recovery is coming, it will be slow,
and Charlotte and the Triangle will lead the way.
The long term can fend for itself.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
It demonstrates in easily understood numerical and graphic terms that in nearly every instance the uneducated and unqualified hopeful posting their unfocused desire for better won't have any better chance of finding one of the few jobs (in the short term) than by staying right where they are with family and friends and similar or perhaps even lower levels of UN-employment.

As for the actually educated or qualified or experienced hopeful posting their marginally more focused desire for better... they're still well advised to secure a job before uprooting and relocating a family or
(for the singles and younger) to have a big 'ol wad of cash to see them through until they do find the good job.

Clearer?
Actually it's not clearer. People are moving here because jobs are being created. Take a look at your own map link. Click onto random counties and take note of how many counties have lowered their unemployment rates since 2011. Some of this is due to folks giving up the search for work. Most of it is due to job creation.

Also, NC added over 100,000 people between 2011 and 2012. Even with all of that growth, we still were able to lower the unemployment rate in many of our counties.

Putting my tin-foil hat on here...
I often question whether or not our "experts" really know how many people are living in NC between census years. If workforce population estimates are off by just 1%, it could have a huge impact on the real unemployment rate of this state. I'm not saying that NC unemployment isn't high. I just question its accuracy due to the state's rapid growth. Just between Meck and Wake alone, over 1,000 people per week are added. With growth like that, a study from last month can never account for the 4,300 new folks that just moved in, found a job, bought a house, and are now sending their kids to local schools (thus creating a need for more teachers, restaurants, hospital workers, etc).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-08-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
People are moving here because jobs are being created.
I don't believe that to be the case.

My observation is that (working age) people move here for two basic reasons:
1) because of frustration with high taxes and COL elsewhere
2) unfounded hope based in desperation

Statistically? Generally? At some levels... sure, jobs are being *filled*.
You might even characterize some of that as "job creation". But not much of it.
(a classification or industry that didn't exist before)

When you drill down to the specifics... the numbers tell a different tale:
With few exceptions, for every one of those jobs being filled there are already people
in those cities capable of filling them who are either un or under-employed.

The exceptional people who relocate, those with needed skills or experience are needed for growth.
The rest? It's not helping NC or even them by suggesting they'll do well in coming.

Quote:
I'm not saying that NC unemployment isn't high...
It sure seemed like it.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that to be the case.
Why not simply welcome the OP back to this thread, find out exactly what it is he/she does for a living, and see if NC will work out for him/her? Just by the username and the fact that the OP lives in Miami, I assume that the OP is Latino. If so, I must then ask is the OP bilingual? I know for a fact that almost every single field in many NC markets are screaming for more English/Spanish bilingual employees. Depending on what skills the OP has, he/she could be a good fit for a much needed NC demographic. However, if the OP really doesn't have a skill at all, then I too would suggest staying home.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
However, if the OP really doesn't have a skill at all, then I too would suggest staying home.
If OP doesn't have a skill, chicken processing is a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: