Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 PM

25 posts, read 110,884 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any input on these counties for schools and living? First priority is finding good school for two little ones. Have done research online at great schools.net and also the most recent AYP results for counties surrounding Charlotte. And these three counties have good percentages on the AYPs.

Burke county would also be an option. We love the Lake James area but Burke County didn't score as high as the other counties listed above.

Any towns in any of these counties that anyone would recommend for a family would be greatly appreciated!!

Newton? Conover? Lenoir? Granite Falls? Shelby? Kings Mountain? Morganton?

Also, the pre-k programs that are offered at some of these public school systems, are they offered only to low-income/disadvantaged kids? Any good pre-k programs around?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,453,919 times
Default Catawba Caldwell etc

I searched this area extensively for years and just moved here last year.

We bought in Alexander County which is just north of Catawba.

It is beautiful here and we are 20 minutes to Hickory, Statesville, Wilkesboro.

In a 40 minute drive we are skiing in Boone and Blowing Rock.

In under an hour we are in big cities like Charlotte and Winston Salem.

Unfortunately a job transfer is making us relocate.

Don't go to Caldwell County which is Lenoir, or Granite Falls, the real estate market is dying there. Hickory is nice but overcrowded.

We live in the city of Taylorsville in Alexander County in a great house and with all the amenities at our doorstep, 1/2 mile we are in the country. The price of real estate in this small town of only 1700 is rising, people are finding ou t about this piece of paradise.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info. on Alexander. I have them on my list as well. Do you know anything about the schools? Have children in the system?

Sorry to hear you are having to leave...good luck in your move.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,453,919 times
Default Alexander

The highschool in Alexander County is one of the best, my son is in middle school and my daughter pre-k and this year we are homeschooling them just because we are selling the home and for other reasons.

For kid its great. There are so many different active 4-H groups in the town. Some specialize in archery, others horsebackriding. My kids are in general ones and they have gone whitewater rafting (the olders) canoeing, fishing, mining for gems . . . apple picking etc.

The people in this town, I'm originally from New York are great. We moved from Florida and after 18 years there and one year here I have many wonderful friends. The library is great, the parks are wonderful, and my kids belong to youth groups at the church.

Alexander is family and kids oriented . . . and it will be a great investment for you to check out. Other counties are not showing the growth.

The downtonw has plans of big rejuvenation.

If you want a piece of small town life, within an hour to big cities for the culture, and less than 1/2 hour to smaller cities . . . this is a great place.

We live downtown on 1 acre of land in a 3600 s.f. historical home with 5 bedrooms, high ceilings with bead board, original heart of pine floors, it's so sad . . . this is the BEST house and town we ever lived in. I am crying toj leave here. At first it doesn't impress you as much, but the mountains and kies are gorgeousl OUr son was on baseball and people just came and gathered everyone just welcomed us. My son wants to stay here and live with whoever buys our house. Amazing cause the first 3 months he wanted to leave and go back to Florida.

Thre are a few websites . . . I've also taken lots of pictures of the town, I could email them to you, but I ahve to email one picture at a time.

ANother thing, our equity would have goown tremendously if we could stay.

The other areaw e are looking in, you cannot get any land, nor homes this size . . . . . . it/s worth checking into.

By the way, I wanted to start a post in the areas we are having to relocate to, and I can't find out how to do it?????

Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Wow

Thanks again so much for your input! I will definitely put some thought into the area and start researching as much as possible. We are looking to move Jan. 1 at latest. Would like to stay put for the holidays soon approaching. Makes me feel good to hear someone who has children in the school system and thriving.

By the way, how does the pre-k work with the school system? Is it available for all kids of the right age to enroll?

Where did you live in Florida? That's where we are and can't wait to leave. We have wanted to leave for a long time and the kids have become our motivator to leave finally!

I'm so sorry to hear you are leaving a place you love so much! Your home sounds wonderful, wish there was a way you could stay! Have you sold your house yet?

This definitely is what we are looking for. Small town life with the bigger cities close by, and definitely close to the outdoor recreation!!

I'm sorry I can't help you on creating a new Post for the areas your are looking to move to. I'm new to this whole forum thing!

Pictures and/or links to area info. would be great! Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,693,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
By the way, I wanted to start a post in the areas we are having to relocate to, and I can't find out how to do it?????
Go to forum you want to post ( www.city-data.com/forum ) and choose appropriate part of US. Click the "new thread" button and that's all. If you still have problems just send me a private message ( top right corner, link "Private messages")

Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM

17 posts, read 54,778 times
I'm also moving to NC from FL within the next few months. I had decided on the same area, only I had been looking into Granite Falls. Thanks for the information and I'll make sure I check things out a little better. I'm moving from Dunedin, FL after 15 years. TOo much congestion, schools are going down and the homeowners insurance tripled. I'm from NJ/NY and miss it very much.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 27,533 times
Question Also leaving FL for Lenoir, GF or Hudson

My son and I are leaving Tampa and looking in the Granite Falls, Hudson or Lenoir area, inpart because my son is ready to start college and we thought ASU in Boone would be great and those cities are not too far (I hope, he is not use to mountain driving on ice nevertheless...). I wanted a rural area but with a city within driving distance and thought these might be perfect. I love the piazzas or town squares like in Europe and hoped for a town with one. I'm afraid Taylorsville is too far from the university. But wonder why the other poster felt like the towns above where no good with the market dying? If the housing market is dying shouldn't I be able to pick up a great house for under 150,000? And not worry about it assuming I plan to stay for many years. Also, I understand Lenoir was an industrial town until they shut down factories a few years ago, however if you look at the actual geography of the state, it seems the towns located on or near the Blue Ridge Mountains become the highest valued areas. In which case it can only be a matter of time before Lenoir becomes a more valued realestate market based on it's location, right? Just like FL, any coastal property has become the highest priced, most desired.
Any thought from anyone on Lenoir, Hudson, Granite Falls and/or any town(s) considering a drive to Boone. Also, has anyone found the realtors are not admitting the drop in housing prices when the national news says it is? Should we be trying to get the houses for 20,000 less since the drop and they are just not telling us?
ps....any advice would be great, I'm going mad researching and plan a trip soon.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpalmer View Post
My son and I are leaving Tampa and looking in the Granite Falls, Hudson or Lenoir area, inpart because my son is ready to start college and we thought ASU in Boone would be great and those cities are not too far (I hope, he is not use to mountain driving on ice nevertheless...). I wanted a rural area but with a city within driving distance and thought these might be perfect. I love the piazzas or town squares like in Europe and hoped for a town with one. I'm afraid Taylorsville is too far from the university. But wonder why the other poster felt like the towns above where no good with the market dying? If the housing market is dying shouldn't I be able to pick up a great house for under 150,000? And not worry about it assuming I plan to stay for many years. Also, I understand Lenoir was an industrial town until they shut down factories a few years ago, however if you look at the actual geography of the state, it seems the towns located on or near the Blue Ridge Mountains become the highest valued areas. In which case it can only be a matter of time before Lenoir becomes a more valued realestate market based on it's location, right? Just like FL, any coastal property has become the highest priced, most desired.
Any thought from anyone on Lenoir, Hudson, Granite Falls and/or any town(s) considering a drive to Boone. Also, has anyone found the realtors are not admitting the drop in housing prices when the national news says it is? Should we be trying to get the houses for 20,000 less since the drop and they are just not telling us?
ps....any advice would be great, I'm going mad researching and plan a trip soon.
Hi C - first congrats on making this move for your son to get a great college education! ASU is an awesome school who prides itself on its high number of students who start as freshman actually graduating. The campus is beautiful, have you seen it yet? Things can get pretty congested around Boone once school is in session but on campus itself everything is an easy walk. Blowing Rock would be the obvious closest choice for houses for you, BUT that area has become very trendy and most homes are pretty expensive. I agree with you that you might find a good deal in Lenoir since the market there is kind of dead. It is not as scenic as Blowing Rock but not a bad drive up to Boone. But also give a look at North Wilksboro east of Boone. This area may be even more affordable and the drive into Boone on four-laned 421 is not nearly as winding and harrowing for someone not used to driving in the mountains like the ride from Lenoir would be. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,713 times
Default Caldwell County

I would highly recommend Caldwell County. I am prejiduce to the lenoir area just because it is where I live, but all of Caldwell County is nice. It really just depends on what you are wanting. We moved here about 6 years ago and love it. It has the small town feel with out being in the middle of no where. 20-30 minutes north and you have Boone with a somewhat vacation feel with skiing and mountain hikes. 20-30 minutes south you have hickory with it's shopping and better selection of restraunts. Charlotte's only about an hour away. Lenoir is in a transition state I guess with lots of lay offs with the furniture industry, but the town itself seems to be coming to life. The down town area is being revived with a wonderful small town air. There is something almost everyweekend downtown for the family to do. Car shows, live music, outdoor movies, plays, craft or art shows etc.... As a former teacher, I think Caldwell County has some great schools. As with any county, some are better than others, depending on what you are looking for. There are some great preschools in the area, including those at the schools. I would highly recommend this town for families, but it is also attracting alot of retiries. As for the drive to Boone, there were lots of teachers that lived in Boone and drove down the mountain each day to work in Caldwell County and many that go up the mountain to school. Right now they are widening the road up to Boone, so there are more delays from that then weather. Good luck to all - we would love to have you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina