Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,102,610 times

Advertisements

Well, in our 10 years down here first in Johnston County and now in Sampson County we have had all three systems. They all have negative features but, let's just say that DTV has the least which is why we are still with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM

100 posts, read 416,619 times
vq1, thanks.--

mm34b--after what I have read about Charter, and it wasn't good, I'm not sure how to feel about them.
thanks, fredda

Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,917,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredda View Post
vq1, thanks.--

mm34b--after what I have read about Charter, and it wasn't good, I'm not sure how to feel about them.
thanks, fredda
Cable service seems to be a hit or miss situation even within the same company. I wouldn't reject any provider without knowing how it works in my personal location.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM

Smile mm--

Actually, I was referring to a quite lengthy thread on the Lenoir forum at [domain blocked due to spam].net.
Thanks, fredda

Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM

537 posts, read 1,761,255 times
I'm not in either Harnett or Cumberland County, so I can't give advice/opinions on their cable companies.

I have had cable in Mecklenburg (TimeWarner) and Lincoln (Charter.) Cable bills irk the heck out of me. They seem to always be increasing their charges and fees. When we moved into a new home (summer '06) I decided to try a dish company. We went with Direct TV. My bill is bundled with my phone and internet service. And has not increased since I've started with them, 15 months ago.

And while I had difficulty getting DirectTV to come back out to install more connections (and have now settled on having just one connection in a 3300 sf house) I have to give them props for their customer service when a tornado took out my dish.

When I signed up with them, I declined the insurance and knew I would be dealing with a $75 service charge should I require service. But when I called for service after the tornado, they cheerfully waived the $75 service fee, credited my account for the time my dish was out and somehow, I came out $15 ahead.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM

Hi LSAnnie, Do you mean you have only 1 t.v. in your home? Don't misread me, nothing wrong with that , as I am under the impression that each set must have its own "box"? Also, would the insurance be expensive as opposed to the odds --Humm,.. maybe you are not the best person to ask about that, heh, heh. Any opinions , here.
Thanks, fredda

Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM

537 posts, read 1,761,255 times
Quote:
Hi LSAnnie, Do you mean you have only 1 t.v. in your home? Don't misread me, nothing wrong with that , as I am under the impression that each set must have its own "box"? Also, would the insurance be expensive as opposed to the odds --Humm,.. maybe you are not the best person to ask about that, heh, heh. Any opinions , here.
Thanks, fredda

we have 4 television sets in the house. only one gets reception from a DirectTV receiver box. The other three rely on old-fashioned rabbit ears... so we don't view a lot of television on those. (except one of the other three is really only used for XBox and PlayStation. ;-) )

This brings up why I had problems getting them to come back out for installation... when I signed up for DirectTV, I asked for connections on two tv's. Evidently, the cabling in my 32 year old house is not compatible with DirectTV, so they had to run some new cabling to the receiver boxes. Where the dish sits on my roof, the one TV with a DirectTV reciever box is very close (roof of same room as TV#1.) Then I wanted a receiver box in my bedroom, on the opposite end of the house. The installer gave me two options: run the cable around the outside of the house, then drill a new hole through my wall to install. Option two was to run the new cable through my attic and down the wall, inside the wall. I opted for the attic. Well, the installer (who was late arriving at my home) had another appointment and said he'd come back out on a Sunday to install. He left us the second Receiver Box and activation card and his cell phone number. He didn't come back on Sunday. We arranged for the NEXT weekend, he called to confirm, but didn't show up, again. We gave up on it all. When the guy came out to fix our dish after the tornado, we asked him about a second install. He only gave us the option to run the cable on the exterior and drill a hole. So, we're managing with just one TV.

Thank goodness for DVR!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,177 times
I had Charter Cable in Hickory NC. This was the worst experiences I ever had with any company. The provided poor service and were actually hostile to customers who complained.
I mainly watch network HDTV. I got rid of Charter Cable and erected an antenna which got me all the network channels in HD free. HD from OTA is something you should look into. It is not for everyone but it saves big bucks.
BTW, in SC I had DirectV which was OK until I moved to a place they did not service. DirectV put me through hell closing that account. The icing on the cake was after sending their H20 reciever back to them in their return box and label via prepaid FEDEX they billed me for it. I had to prove I had shipped the box. If you go with DirectV make sure you understand their contract, it's a dilly, and keepy all your receipts.
I recommend looking into OTA HD.
Don

Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Smile Don--

Thanks for the info and sorry for your (sad) experience with Charter. Don't know--must ask--what is OTA?
Thanks, fredda

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 680,784 times
Default Ota

Quote:
Thanks for the info and sorry for your (sad) experience with Charter. Don't know--must ask--what is OTA?
Thanks, fredda

OTA refers to Over the Air, or as I said we use --- "Rabbit Ears."

What I was referring to in the earlier post was that in this part of Caldwell County, with rabbit ears on the tv, we receive tv stations from over 100 miles away.

We do not have a paid service such as cable, directv, or Dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina