Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM

5,463 posts, read 7,036,071 times

Advertisements

Is there any one good way to drive through North Carolina to see the different cities? If I want to map out my trip which city do you suggest I visit first? I'm not sure how much time one needs to spend in each city to see most of it. I want to get an idea of a good place to relocate, Once I find a city I think would be a good match for me then I will plan on spending more time there. But for now I want to get a first view as I have never been to NC

I plan on spending a week in NC and the cities I want to visit are

Wilmington
Raleigh/Durham
Fayetteville
Charlotte
Winston/Salem
Greensboro
HighPoint
Asheville

Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,804,292 times
well if your going in that order I-40 would get you there. Fayetteville would be the only of path route there....

Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 PM

Thanks, But how much time would you need to spend in each city to get a glimpse. I know some of these cities have more attractions than others and being that they are all different sizes can you see two of them in one day?
I would be interested in seeing maybe a couple of houses for sale, a lake attraction, shopping malls, schools/churches etc.
I'm trying not to make this sound like a dumb question. I'm not sure how long a distance these cities are from one another?

Thanks, Tom

Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,804,292 times
Well Raleigh to Charlotte is about 3 hours thats all interstate. Raleigh Charlotte would need more than one day in my opinion. Fayetteville is a Army town so could be bare right now and a dy is all I can stand there...

Hope this helps a little....

Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM

22,995 posts, read 34,256,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Is there any one good way to drive through North Carolina to see the different cities? If I want to map out my trip which city do you suggest I visit first? I'm not sure how much time one needs to spend in each city to see most of it. I want to get an idea of a good place to relocate, Once I find a city I think would be a good match for me then I will plan on spending more time there. But for now I want to get a first view as I have never been to NC

Wilmington
Raleigh/Durham
Fayetteville
Charlotte
Winston/Salem
Greensboro
HighPoint
Asheville

Thanks, Tom

I don't live there (yet) but I'm pretty sure you will love it. Drive on the Blueridge Parkway if you get the chance, it will take your breath away.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 AM

37,728 posts, read 40,764,681 times
Quote:
Thanks, But how much time would you need to spend in each city to get a glimpse. I know some of these cities have more attractions than others and being that they are all different sizes can you see two of them in one day?
I would be interested in seeing maybe a couple of houses for sale, a lake attraction, shopping malls, schools/churches etc.
I'm trying not to make this sound like a dumb question. I'm not sure how long a distance these cities are from one another?

Thanks, Tom

Visit less places. Spend more time in the ones you go to. If they are touristy, like Asheville, visit in both the tourist season and the non-tourist season, if you think you might like to live there. If you hate it on the first visit, you don't have to go back for a second visit. Make sure you are there on weekdays and weekends, not just one or the other.

Before you go, write down what you like about where you live now and what you don't like about where you live now. Rate all of the places you visit against that same criteria.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:

Wilmington
Raleigh/Durham
Fayetteville
Charlotte
Winston/Salem
Greensboro
HighPoint
Asheville

Thanks, Tom

Tom, you are basically talking about visiting four regions in NC. I would say come down I95 to I40 and go to Wilmington first. A day and a night would be enough to see what you want to see. See some more of it on your way out of town the second day if you want to. From Wilminton travel back up I40 to Raleigh/Durham. Plan on two nights in this area. Next head to Greensboro and see it and Winston Salem in a day, spend the night if you feel you need more time. Next head down I85 to Charlotte. Stay uptown as that is the more centrally located area and you will be able to explore in different directions from there. Stay two nights - this is the biggest of all the areas to see and you will need more than a day for sure. Next, head out I85 south to I26 north to see Asheville. Going this route puts you going thru Hendersonville, which I would recommend you check out. Plan on two days in the Asheville area if you can.

Just my opinion, if you can fly into Wilmington and rent a car for your trip you would have more time for exploring all four regions. Then fly home from Asheville. If you have to drive follow the route I mapped out and then leave Asheville on I40 to connect to I85 north for your return home. Skip Fayetteville and High Point - nothing much to see and not desirable areas to live in. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM

lovesMountains, that was exactly the response I was looking for. Thank you so much for your input. I just might follow your advice and fly in. That sounds like a great idea.

And thanks for everyone else for chiming in.
Peace, Tom

Old 10-04-2006, 08:59 PM

505 posts, read 2,533,676 times
lovemountains said it perfectly.

Skip High Point and Fayetteville. Not that they are really bad towns or anything, just out of the way.

What are your interests? Maybe we can yell you a little of what there is to do in each town.

If you like history, you should go to old salem while you are in Winston-Salem.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks Beffrey2, Yes I love history as well as historic homes. Infact I would love to live in one. I like lakes and parks, places to go with my two dogs.
Movies, night life, dancing etc.
I would be interested in seeing the beach hence Wilmington, the mountains-Asheville.
Would like to see the type of shopping each area has and most important the city I relocate to MUST have a Costco lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina