Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,853 times

Advertisements

If I recall, the legislature already allowed a "temporary" half cent sales tax increase to expire early in Perdue's term. I could have sworn that total Sales tax in Mecklenburg was 8.25% for a while, but looking at my receipts, it's generally 7.75% now.

I think that "temporary" tax had been extended a few times during Easley's era.

For what it's worth, York County's sales tax in SC isn't all that low. I think it's about 7.5% the last time I looked. It's not really worth the effort to shop there over local retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
If I recall, the legislature already allowed a "temporary" half cent sales tax increase to expire early in Perdue's term. I could have sworn that total Sales tax in Mecklenburg was 8.25% for a while, but looking at my receipts, it's generally 7.75% now.

I think that "temporary" tax had been extended a few times during Easley's era.

For what it's worth, York County's sales tax in SC isn't all that low. I think it's about 7.5% the last time I looked. It's not really worth the effort to shop there over local retail.
Wow, I did not know sales taxes were that high in Mecklenburg County or York County! Sales taxes in Palm Beach County are only 6%, but I'm sure the overall cost of goods is more expensive down here than up here; however, I could be mistaken.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Sales taxes in Palm Beach County are only 6%...
Which is the upper limit of what a reasonable sales tax should be.

Quote:
...but I'm sure the overall cost of goods is more expensive down here than up here;
however, I could be mistaken.
Palm Beach people might tend to buy more luxury goods and will probably have a better selection...
but short of something really exotic the cost of a car or TV or whatever won't be appreciably different
pretty much anywhere you will find it (if in proximity to the Interstate system).

Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which is the upper limit of what a reasonable sales tax should be.

Palm Beach people might tend to buy more luxury goods and will probably have a better selection...
but short of something really exotic the cost of a car or TV or whatever won't be appreciably different
pretty much anywhere you will find it (if in proximity to the Interstate system).
Sales tax is 6% in Rhode Island, which is where I was previously living before moving to Palm Beach County, and I think that's a very appropriate sales tax rate. Thankfully, the sales tax rate is the same in Palm Beach. However, there are few places where I feel as though I'm not saving much money: At the supermarket and at the pump.

Groceries seem be pretty darn expensive down here, even though we're told that much of our produce is grown locally. For example, Pero Family Farms Food Company, an agricultural corporation, has a huge farm and is headquartered in Delray Beach, which is one city north of where I live. I suppose the high cost of food is due to the fact that Publix, our only major supermarket, has a monopoly over the supermarket industry in Florida. At least the state and/or counties don't tax food for home consumption because that would be awful.

Fuel is expensive in South Florida, too, especially in Palm Beach. According to one of my co-workers, a few years ago, the county implemented some type of transportation or fuel tax that would be felt at the pump. I'm not quite sure what exactly that tax is called or referred to, but it's probably a "tourist development tax." However, I'm not complaining about it because all of the tourists who visit Florida annually, both domestic and international, are one the primary reasons this state does not have an income tax. I live just outside of Broward County, where gasoline is, on average, 20 cents cheaper per gallon than in Palm Beach, so I just fill up down there.

But when push comes to shove, it's cheaper to live down here than to live in Rhode Island, so I shouldn't be complaining!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
I think they plan on making a lot of the revenue up by placing hefty taxes on groceries. The irony of it is that this is too radical for even Art Pope.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-28-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think they plan on making a lot of the revenue up by placing hefty taxes on groceries. The irony of it is that this is too radical for even Art Pope.
I think they're going to do some massive funding cuts to liberal arts Universities such as Chapel Hill.
McCrory wants to revamp higher ed funding -- takes aim at UNC-Chapel Hill | newsobserver.com projects

^^^As the next few months go by, we should all have a clearer picture of what the GOP is wanting to cut in order to make the lack of a state income tax more feasible. NC's current level of spending will not last IMO. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad. I'm just sitting on the sidelines hoping for the best.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think they're going to do some massive funding cuts...
As the next few months go by, we should all have a clearer picture of what the GOP is wanting to cut...
Whatever the GA Reps want...
what existing commitments CAN be cut (in any substantial manner)??

And of this rather small group... which of those cuts might actually benefit anyone?
NC cutting support of the universities? That's like butchering a milk cow for hamburger.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,251 times
Quote:
I think they're going to do some massive funding cuts to liberal arts Universities such as Chapel Hill.
McCrory wants to revamp higher ed funding -- takes aim at UNC-Chapel Hill | newsobserver.com projects

^^^As the next few months go by, we should all have a clearer picture of what the GOP is wanting to cut in order to make the lack of a state income tax more feasible. NC's current level of spending will not last IMO. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad. I'm just sitting on the sidelines hoping for the best.
This is very sad and scary news. Our new Governor really ought to go out and have a serious conversation with leaders in the education field before saying such things. I heard this on the radio a few months ago and it's a fascinating conversation with the NCSU chancellor and Wake Tech president about the value of higher education and the differences between the two. Linked to podcast here, interview starts about 45:30 and goes to 53:50.

Marketplace Live from WUNC in Raleigh, N.C. | Marketplace.org

Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,772 times
Quote:

That's dumber than hell since business is one of the largest majors by enrollment at Carolina, and they pump out more useless wastes of oxygen than any other department.

But to answer the larger question there isn't much they can cut beyond what's already been done. The difference between Perdue's last budget and the GA's version was about a quarter of a percent. The state mostly just funds education and Medicaid at this point, and quite poorly in both cases. They can foist more of the share of Medcaid onto the feds, but that's about it. Everything else has already been cut to the bone.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
This is very sad and scary news. Our new Governor really ought to go out and have a serious
conversation with leaders in the education field before saying such things.
A recent interview I heard with James Taylor had him recalling WRAL broadcasts from the early 60's
where Jesse Helms was popular for referring to CH as "Communist Hill".

I suspect our governor has had the conversations he wants to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina