Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Of course I have the right to my opinion.

But, I am curious. Did you mean to say that I thought Art Pope was NOT acting in his own interest? I don't doubt that his retail business interest was a factor, and alluded clearly to such.
Or are you saying I erred regarding the overall accuracy of his statement that it would it be difficult to toss the income tax and incorporate consumption tax at this point? My opinion is that it would/will be a difficult transition and I am quite comfortable with that assessment.

Or was the acknowledgement that I am entitled to opinion tangential or just thread filler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It was actually sold to get the 18th amendment passed, because getting the loss of excise taxes from the 18th amendment would have decimated the treasury without an income tax.
You are identifying an economic "why."
I identified the political "how," and how it is kept in place.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM

789 posts, read 368,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Earlier, Edglock21 had asserted that the word 'Loophole' "implies doing something to get around the law (i.e. illegal)" ... however, such is absolutely not the case.

Such a definition of 'loophole' is not "implied" here at all, but is only what Edglock had attempted to "infer" in Edglock's quest to win some sort of silly argument over semantic trivia.
Dan_in_DC you're right, Dan_in, it is no longer "implied" or "inferred"; Dan_in. Mikey has now stated it plainly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
A "loophole" is something that allows one to circumvent the spirit of the rule/law. I'm not so naive as to pretend that this practice of pushing the envelope of legality unto itself isn't often synonymous with the American way and competition in general... "if we're not cheating, we're not trying hard enough" - I get it. But there's a line where you cross into outright abuse. We can argue where that line is, but nobody can argue that there are certain "loopholes" in rules/laws that can be closed due to ambiguity. Our tax code is a perfect example
The tax code, while it may be confusing, is clear as to what percentage one owes based on the category of the money received (Income, Captial Gains, Interest, Dividends, etc.).

If I pay what I owe, according to the law, where is the loophole?

Just because one does not like the outcomes of a law, does not mean that those following it are using "loopholes".

Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 AM

789 posts, read 368,857 times
(I broke this into two posts for ease of reading)

Mikey - As to your "easier to address" point, you don't mention whether you are referring to private individuals or licensed firearms dealers. In NC, either way you're incorrect (in the case of handguns).

Quote:
In context to gun shows, the "loophole" is much easier to address. A gun show is exempt from laws requiring background checks because it is deemed a "private sale" - which are not subject to background checks by law. But seriously, are they really "private sales"? To the letter of the law, it is a legal transaction today without a background check... but if they close the "loophole" and specifically define a gun show as not a private sale, then the loophole is closed and the ones selling guns at them will be required to follow the law.
Incorrect.

Licensed firearms dealers (FFLs) are NEVER permitted to sell a handgun, whether in their store or at a gun show, without the purchaser having either an NC concealed carry permit or a pistol purchase permit from the Sheriff.

In some states, but not NC (see below), it is legal for two private individuals of that state to conduct a face-to-face sale of a weapon without a permit/background check.

It does not matter if the location of the sale is a house, parking lot, or a *gasp* gun show...the sale is legal. This is not a loophole, it is a legal sale of property between two individuals.

Quote:
Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But you have to admit that you're a whee bit over-the-top on the "how" and super light on the "why"... frankly, with almost a conspiracy undertone of extravagant lies and illusion like magic tricks. I believe if we all think more about the why, we might better see a path clear... because it's doing us absolutely zero good as a country to bicker over idealism while these crony-capitalistic figureheads run this oligarchy for the special interest groups.

I mean I think it's great to act like you're the only one smart enough to get it - facebook is lit up with these people, so is twitter, and every other clown with a blog knows the real deal... throw out the word "sheeple" for max effect. But in the end, "getting it" and pointing out how everyone else doesn't gets you absolutely nada... zip - seriously it doesn't... understanding the "how" is not the full picture and honestly gets you nowhere. Well that's not entirely true... it will likely get you stocking up on bullets and beans, cruising survival sites and such.... now that you're been "awakened".

It drives me nuts at work when that one guy (you know who he is), just sits in the back and pokes holes in everyone else's ideas... That's what is at work here. You have certain advocacy groups, super PACs, getting politicians elected whose only contribution is to point out inadequacy in others ideas, block everything proposed by the other guy, all while coming up with NO ideas to fix the real problem themselves... It's not how it's all supposed to work. Look around... nobody is better off because they know the "how" and can see through "the lies"... Why?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Once it is an Amendment it is going to be hard to get rid of. With that said the 18 Amendment was the political "how" every supporter of the 18th amendment knew in the wake of Pollack that they needed the 16th Amendment to achieve their political goal and they had the muscle to get it through. Thus why most of the South rushed to pass the 16th Amendment, while much of the Northeast resisted.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
But you have to admit that you're a whee bit over-the-top on the "how" and super light on the "why"... frankly, with almost a conspiracy undertone of extravagant lies and illusion like magic tricks. I believe if we all think more about the why, we might better see a path clear... because it's doing us absolutely zero good as a country to bicker over idealism while these crony-capitalistic figureheads run this oligarchy for the special interest groups.

I mean I think it's great to act like you're the only one smart enough to get it - facebook is lit up with these people, so is twitter, and every other clown with a blog knows the real deal... throw out the word "sheeple" for max effect. But in the end, "getting it" and pointing out how everyone else doesn't gets you absolutely nada... zip - seriously it doesn't... understanding the "how" is not the full picture and honestly gets you nowhere. Well that's not entirely true... it will likely get you stocking up on bullets and beans, cruising survival sites and such.... now that you're been "awakened".

It drives me nuts at work when that one guy (you know who he is), just sits in the back and pokes holes in everyone else's ideas... That's what is at work here. You have certain advocacy groups, super PACs, getting politicians elected whose only contribution is to point out inadequacy in others ideas, block everything proposed by the other guy, all while coming up with NO ideas to fix the real problem themselves... It's not how it's all supposed to work. Look around... nobody is better off because they know the "how" and can see through "the lies"... Why?
Mikey,
"How" is exceedingly important. It is the trail of the process.
"Why" is extremely important. It identifies motivations.
Neither can be ignored or discounted, methinks.

When the topic of taxation comes up, you can compare the discussion to an NFL game. Typically you have two teams.
Let's say the Redskins and the Giants. The red helmets and the blue helmets.
And fans are diverted to root for their team, and distracted from the fact that the city around the stadium is on fire.

I don't care much about the teams. Neither can claim any moral high ground. No matter who wins, the game is a distraction from the fact that the city is smoldering. And that kicking the ball around will not solve that issue.
I don't for a moment think that I am "the only one who gets it." I think a lot of others do, too, but they also have surrendered to the stadium crowd.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
All of politics is about the "how".
But without a why... there ain't much to how about.

Maybe at some pint this thread will get out of the theoretical clouds...
and back onto the hard ground of taxation plans that will actually work.
Ideally, "work" will mean methods that don't put inelastic demand on the lest flexible.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
When is the income tax to be eliminated?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
"It's for the chillens"
North Carolina Education Lottery: Homepage

Legalize it altogether... and every state c/should get $72 Million.
(plus save on all the prosecution expenses)
.......and inmate housing, social programs, unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina