Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,493,713 times

Advertisements

brevard is right in the mountains. OP doesn;t like mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 29,915 times
Thanks to all. I would love to live in the mountains but have COPD and worry about the altitude when added to the cold weather. I also worry about the windy, hilly roads. I hate driving in the snow but hate ice more. I will be coming down in a few weeks to check out the area. I do realize that I am asking a very general question. I thank all of you for your suggestions and will probably be back asking more after my trip down. Greenville caught my attention because of the airport and the warmer weather. Not to far from my sister, it looked to be a nice area but I don't see much in over 55 communities nor mobile homes. I will keep looking but thanks to all who answered.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 29,915 times
Default Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Regarding mobile home communities, I like this search engine. You have to register to use it, but I found 20 age-restricted communities within 50 miles of Brevard here: 20 Manufactured and Mobile Home Communities near Brevard, NC
I appreciate the link, will go and check it out.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkpass View Post
I appreciate the link, will go and check it out.
I just used Brevard as an example of what you get. You need to search on communities, and they allow you to select age restricted, and a distance from you target city. So, i found several age-restricted communities within 30 miles of Greenville, SC. They are in Fountain Inn, Pelzer, Simpsonville and Greenville. (I skipped the places in NC.) You obviously have to check the community individually as to whether it has homes for sale. I think Greenville, SC could be a good choice for you to avoid the worst of winter weather and hills.

I just looked at the community in Hendersonville (the Dana-Hill Community), and the surroundings are pretty. From the Google street-view, it is not too hilly, and it is surrounded by orchards (maybe apple trees) and a horse pasture. That's the one place that has a unit for sale within 30 miles of Greenville. I am quite impressed with this community. It has a clubhouse with meeting rooms, a shuffleboard court and an outdoor pool. The lot rentals seem reasonable at $325/month, and it is located about 1.5 miles from a grocery store. There are several more homes for sale on Realtor.com, ranging from the $56K to 66K range. Look for listings on Dove Trail and Happy Lane. I could see myself living there, as the setting is very pretty.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-26-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM

25 posts, read 31,020 times
Default I live in Hendersonville, NC area

I moved here 8 years ago from Michigan and have never regretted the move.

I visited the area first for 5 days and looked for jobs, places to rent or buy and drving around the area. Within 2 weeks I found myself accepting a job in Hendersonville, selling my home, shutting down my business, selling 70% of my personal items and furniture, buying a single wide trailer in a retirement park in NC and began working in a grocery store kiosk for Starbucks!

People said I was crazy. That's okay. I'm loving crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina