Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times

Advertisements

Raleigh and Charlotte are both fine for gay singles. When I went to NC State I found Raleigh inside-the-beltline to be just as progressive as Durham and Chapel Hill. Cary and North Raleigh less so, but still moreso than the rest of the state. Charlotte proper also has a large gay population within the city proper. I've never lived in Charlotte so I'm less knowledgeable about it, but I've heard good things.

As I've said in other threads, I'm openly bisexual and I've had no problems living in the Triangle (and I've lived in all 3 cities, having worked at all three universities).

Asheville should also be worth your consideration.

Last edited by Vatnos; 01-22-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
First of all, "urban" by southeaster standards is much different from the "urban" you will find in the northeast. For example, some of Charlotte's highest density neighborhoods (such as the downtown area) also has some of the city's lowest crime rates. Also, "urban" areas of much of the south (this includes cities ranging in size from Asheville to Atlanta) have densities that are actually lower than many northeaster "suburbs" (or exurbs). So eventhough I posted a few pics of neighborhoods that tend to have festivals and bar crawls, it's not like they have neighborhood block parties with loud music 24/7 like Chicago and Boston.

The truth is that in NC, you will be forced to focus any gay-friendly search on downtown areas. No matter where you go in this state, the best areas for gays and singles are almost always near downtown. The other option is to live near a major University (which is also near downtown in many cases in this state). IMO, if you're looking for gay-friendly with a small town twist, Asheville can't be beat. Just know that the crime index (last time I checked) for cities such as Asheville and Durham are actually higher than cities like Charlotte and Raleigh. It could be because Charlotte and Raleigh have tons of suburbs annexed into their city limits (especially Charlotte) that skew the numbers a bit.

With that said, I'll try to answer your question directly now. I know of no laid-back suburban areas of Charlotte with large gay populations and/or large numbers of sfingles. The suburban areas of Charlotte tend to be conservative and family oriented. Might I suggest Chapel Hill instead of Charlotte. It's not far from Raleigh, and that city is laid back with an openly gay mayor. If you think Charlotte is "too urban", Chapel Hill might be the best fit for you.

To be completely honest with you, the only gay-friendly suburban areas of the south that I know of are parts of Northern Virginia (near DC) and parts of metro Atlanta.
Yeah well I don't want to rent a stupid apartment. I'm 28 years old, make good money and want to buy a house. I don't really like living in gay neighborhoods because of the drama and I don't believe in segregating myself from the rest of society just because I'm gay. According to the census, about 33% of all households in the Charlotte metro area are nonfamily households. Last week I visited my friends, who are a gay couple who lived in Matthews. They are happy there and their straight neighbors know they are gay and they don't care or treat them differently. And Matthews has a 28% nonfamily household population. So I mean, what's the big deal?

I have a gay couple friend who lives in Raleigh, and although he said its a nice city, they can't wait to move back to Charlotte, because he said its much more gay friendly than Raleigh.

In fact, when I was shopping in charlotte last week, I openly admitted I was gay to another shopper. She laughed and said I was cute. So I don't really any hostility toward gays in the charlotte area.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Thanks! What are the chances of getting a response from another gay Italian from the Hartford, CT area? Lol.

Where are you guys currently living?
I know, right?!

We bought a farm on the VA / NC border on the Halifax / Granville County. Due north of Durham (love Durham!) plus we are 3 hours or so from DC up here. NC will take some getting used to but most people who move here come to love it. You will probably miss a few things though...like good, basic, pizza (no one does pizza as good as CT!).

Do you have much family back in northern CT?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:

I have a gay couple friend who lives in Raleigh, and although he said its a nice city, they can't wait to move back to Charlotte, because he said its much more gay friendly than Raleigh.
I agree with Raleigh v CLT but think Durham, Carrboro, Hillsborough, CH (western Triangle) are excellent options. Avoid Cary and Raleigh and points east.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Just reading the comments, I'd agree with urbanmyth about Durham, Hillsborough, and Carrboro. Within the Triangle, I find they have quite a bit of character and are really nice places to live. Of the three, I'd lean towards Durham if you want a bit more or a city feel.

As for Charlotte vs. the Triangle - I can't help much there.

BTW - we moved from New England to NC too and have really liked living in Durham.
LOVE Durham! We are u from in NE?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
What are some good, safe and quiet areas for singles to live in, in the Charlotte metro? I don't want to live in an area that's overwhelmingly populated with families or an area that's too hectic and urban.
Nep,

Would you prefer an atmosphere like Granby or say a place like West Hartford Center, around Blue Back Square?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I know, right?!

We bought a farm on the VA / NC border on the Halifax / Granville County. Due north of Durham (love Durham!) plus we are 3 hours or so from DC up here. NC will take some getting used to but most people who move here come to love it. You will probably miss a few things though...like good, basic, pizza (no one does pizza as good as CT!).

Do you have much family back in northern CT?
Eh, I couldn't care less about pizza. I'm not a foodie kind of person. As long as I have access to some healthy food though. And yeah, most of my family, and my immediate family is all in Hartford County, CT.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Nep,

Would you prefer an atmosphere like Granby or say a place like West Hartford Center, around Blue Back Square?
Granby is too rural for me. West Hartford center is too busy for me. I would say that I would like something kind of like Newington. Or West Hartford (other than the center). I like quiet, but not family oriented.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM

...you will miss family probably but it sounds like you can fly home whenever you need to....another reason CLT makes sense is the airport. More options to fly back home.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Granby is too rural for me. West Hartford center is too busy for me. I would say that I would like something kind of like Newington. Or West Hartford (other than the center). I like quiet, but not family oriented.
Sounds like Belmont, Matthews, Cornelius, Davidson, or Huntersville near Charlotte or Hillsborough or Pittsboro near Durham-Chapel Hill.

We loved Huntersville and Davidson and were on Lake Norman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina