Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm83 View Post
I was thinking the same thing... even the 6 county projection would seem a little low under 3 million... if the 10 county deli nation does reach 4 million or close to it... it will be interesting to watch.
Both Charlotte's and the Triangle's metros will change by 2040 in terms of county counts. Given that, i don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the Triangle could have more residents than the NC portion of greater Charlotte.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Both Charlotte's and the Triangle's metros will change by 2040 in terms of county counts. Given that, i don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the Triangle could have more residents than the NC portion of greater Charlotte.
But the 10 counties are Charlotte's MSA, not CSA.

The Triangle currently includes 11 counties with a population of 1,998,808; Charlotte's CSA includes 16 counties with a population of 2,442,564. This isn't CSA vs. MSA.

Yes, both CSAs will add counties before 2040, there is nothing that suggests the Triangle will have more people than Charlotte's CSA by then. You can't exclude S.C. counties.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,898 times
Raleigh is definitely better that Charlotte
Spend one Tuesday evening at 5pm in Charlotte and you will see what I mean... TERRIBLE TRAFFIC, EXTREME POVERTY AND EXTREME CRIME
Charlotte is Dangerous and Expensive.
Raleigh is more of a educated and responsible place than Charlotte imo

Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterRaymond View Post
Raleigh is definitely better that Charlotte
Spend one Tuesday evening at 5pm in Charlotte and you will see what I mean... TERRIBLE TRAFFIC, EXTREME POVERTY AND EXTREME CRIME
Charlotte is Dangerous and Expensive.
Raleigh is more of a educated and responsible place than Charlotte imo
Lol and I see that this is your first post. Where is this extreme crime you speak up. I never felt threatened any where in Charlotte I've been. Lol and another Raleigh is better then Charlotte. Hilarious

Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Lol and I see that this is your first post. Where is this extreme crime you speak up. I never felt threatened any where in Charlotte I've been. Lol and another Raleigh is better then Charlotte. Hilarious
Every time I go back to Charlotte to hangout Center City and downtown I see fights and violence. Look at the Crime Stats
The city is on First 48 for a reason

Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Ok just because YOU (one person in 1 million people) hasnt felt threatened or experienced crime in Charlotte means that Crime in Charlotte isnt a issue
Every time I go back to Charlotte to hangout Center City and downtown I see fights and violence. Look at the Crime Stats genius
The city is on First 48 for a reason

Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
But the 10 counties are Charlotte's MSA, not CSA.

The Triangle currently includes 11 counties with a population of 1,998,808; Charlotte's CSA includes 16 counties with a population of 2,442,564. This isn't CSA vs. MSA.

Yes, both CSAs will add counties before 2040, there is nothing that suggests the Triangle will have more people than Charlotte's CSA by then. You can't exclude S.C. counties.
Who's to say that current MSA and CSA boundaries will remain the same in 26 years? Those too will likely change.

As for excluding SC counties, the state of NC has little interest in SC counties because they don't administer services to them. That said, NCDOT would be silly to ignore the impact of SC residents on NC roads in the Charlotte area.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Who's to say that current MSA and CSA boundaries will remain the same in 26 years? Those too will likely change.

As for excluding SC counties, the state of NC has little interest in SC counties because they don't administer services to them. That said, NCDOT would be silly to ignore the impact of SC residents on NC roads in the Charlotte area.
Because the comment I replied to, you were only including Charlotte's 10 counties, not the CSA and comparing it to the Triangle, which is a CSA.

Regardless of whether or not NC has interest in the SC counties, those are still part of Charlotte's population.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Because the comment I replied to, you were only including Charlotte's 10 counties, not the CSA and comparing it to the Triangle, which is a CSA.

Regardless of whether or not NC has interest in the SC counties, those are still part of Charlotte's population.
I think what rnc2mbfl is getting at is that in the future the NC side of the Charlotte MSA may be smaller in population than the Triangle. I think that this is plausible and this does not affect the impact of Charlotte on the region as whole, but is just focussing on the NC side. Meaning only those living on the NC side will be paying NC taxes outside of sales taxes only. I think the number is few of those who believe that the Triangle will overtake Charlotte in population overall, but the Triangle very well could be the number 1 MSA/CSA for North Carolina.

It is really hard to tell because no one knows the future. The growth in Mecklenburg and Wake county pretty much cancel each other out. For Charlotte it really comes down to the growth of Cabarrus, Union, and Iredell county and their growth rate. For the Triangle, it comes down to Durham, Johnston, Orange, and Franklin county and their growth rate. Most of the Triangle counties are doing incredible in their respective growth rates. For Charlotte the growth rates aren't as good as the Triangles at moment. York and Lancaster county are still growing at an above average rate but they are in SC. So there is some plausibility to the argument of the Triangle overtaking Charlotte as the number one metro. Now, Raleigh or Durham overtaking Charlotte as the number one city is another discussion and the Triangle overtaking Charlotte as the number one MSA/CSA in the Carolina's is another discussion.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Well, this could be big for the Charlotte region: Charlotte could get a Major League Soccer team by 2020. The Charlotte Eagles, a USL Pro team, is being bought out by Jim McPhilliamy (owner of the Charlotte Hounds, a professional lacrosse team) in hopes of upgrading the team into the MLS. Memorial Stadium could also see further renovations, to accommodate the expansion.

Hounds group taking over Charlotte USL Pro franchise rights | CharlotteObserver.com
Now I would love to see that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina