Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,264,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
How bada** of a metro would it be if Charlotte and RDU were one metro!
If Charlotte and the Triangle were one metro it would be the Boston of the south. Great higher ed, high tech, and finance. Charlotte would be Boston and Raleigh would be Cambridge.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,264,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Although I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime, it is still very possible for the Charlotte metro and Triangle (and Triad) to become a megalopolis, sometime in the future.
Roughly speaking this is already happening. The Piedmont Crescent of NC plus Upstate of SC forms the Carolina Piedmont.

http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/h...gapolitans.pdf

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 15,126 times
Default Raleigh vs. Charlotte?

I'm 22, about to graduate college with a marketing/advertising/PR background. I'm focusing my job search in Charlotte and Raleigh, although if something opened up in Asheville or New Bern I'd be interested in that too. I've been through Raleigh briefly and liked the vibe there, but I've never been to Charlotte.

If it helps, I'm a northerner, non-religious, liberty-minded (so I lean "conservative" in some areas, more "liberal" in others). Hoping my views will be respected wherever I end up. I know the non-religious thing can be a little taboo in some parts of the state, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I'm not one for the nightlife, but it would be nice to be able to get out and meet people in other ways. Does one of these cities have more of a welcoming feel than the other? Friendlier people? Better restaurants? Easier traffic? Safer/nicer neighborhoods or nature areas? I'm interested to hear how you would describe Charlotte vs. the Triangle.

Weather's not an issue... I'll take anything above -20 with a smile at this point.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,981,904 times
Both are big cities with lots of diversity. Both are full of friendly people, but you might find some negativity anywhere. You'll fit in wherever you choose to if you're open-minded and outgoing.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 PM

13,339 posts, read 26,819,434 times
I suggest you look up the thread "Raleigh Versus Charlotte: No Holds Barred!". It is unscientific, but the poll voters give Charlotte 235 votes versus giving Raleigh 179.

You might get some idea of what people think is important by reading through the comments.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,308,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkinlobinshla View Post
I'm 22, about to graduate college with a marketing/advertising/PR background. I'm focusing my job search in Charlotte and Raleigh, although if something opened up in Asheville or New Bern I'd be interested in that too. I've been through Raleigh briefly and liked the vibe there, but I've never been to Charlotte.

If it helps, I'm a northerner, non-religious, liberty-minded (so I lean "conservative" in some areas, more "liberal" in others). Hoping my views will be respected wherever I end up. I know the non-religious thing can be a little taboo in some parts of the state, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I'm not one for the nightlife, but it would be nice to be able to get out and meet people in other ways. Does one of these cities have more of a welcoming feel than the other? Friendlier people? Better restaurants? Easier traffic? Safer/nicer neighborhoods or nature areas? I'm interested to hear how you would describe Charlotte vs. the Triangle.

Weather's not an issue... I'll take anything above -20 with a smile at this point.

Thanks everyone!
These, to me, point to Raleigh.

Charlotte has more to do because it is a larger city. I personally don't find Raleigh that exciting, but I think it has a lot of potential as a city. I could never live there though.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,345,770 times
Visit both. We're only a couple hours apart.

And I think you'd be very surprised at how non-controversial being non-religious is in NC.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,031,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And I think you'd be very surprised at how non-controversial being non-religious is in NC.
I think that this is very true for the Triangle. I have never lived in Charlotte and I'll let your comment as a Charlotte poster stand on its own.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,290,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

This has been discussed multiple times up here. The OP should note that this is not the unanimous opinion of everyone who has lived in NC by any means.

It is part of the bible belt.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 15,126 times
Thanks for the responses, all.

I've come across different opinions about religion from different parts of the state, as mirrored by your responses here. Even just at events like my cousins' ballet recitals in the Winston-Salem area, there was a section set apart for religious themed dances and songs. That's just something that would never happen in the midwest. Doesn't bother me at all, I just want to make sure I won't be constantly coming into situations where people are trying to convert me. I'm very open to and accepting of other folks' religious beliefs, but I don't belong to a church and have no interest in that personally. I hope some of the city areas and even the suburbs are cool about letting people practice their individual beliefs. I'm sure you'd alert me if you didn't feel like this was the case in any of these areas.

Thank you again for your answers! I'm looking into the other Charlotte/Raleigh thread now. Any other information anyone wants to add is welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina