Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times

Advertisements

Hm. Northlake Charlotte, University City Charlotte, Steele Creek Charlotte, South Charlotte. Huntersville, Matthews, Pineville. (for affordable subdivisions, country feel)

Really though, the suburbs are suburbs and I'd imagine there is zero difference between our suburbs.at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
New unemployment numbers are out! Wake Co 5%. Mecklenburg 6.7, Charlotte metro 6.6 Triangle 5.2. All down again. Good news. But I think this shows who has the strongest economy?
Not necessarily. Unemployment is but one metric that shows how strong an economy is. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but you can't say that the Triangle has a stronger economy just because of unemployment. Now you can say the job market is better. But then Charlotte can say that it has a larger economy. I actually remember that there is one site that actually measures the strength of certain economies. I'll have to find it.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Austin, I expanded on that in some of my later posts. I was being a little sarcastic/snarky in the one you quoted in response to your earlier post about you could never live in Raleigh because it's not exciting and there's more to do in Charlotte. My point was, and is, that there's more of the things that I, personally, want to do in Raleigh and the Triangle. YMMV and the OP's might, too. Oshkin might love Charlotte and it's well worth a visit. Personally, I know Charlotte pretty well, but I'm more interested in things that the Triangle has to offer. We really would never move to Charlotte and that's not being snarky at all. The spouse grew up there, the in-laws all still live there, we won't ever move there.

As for the cultural opportunities in the Triangle. This area has a very highly regarded indie music scene which is a big interest of mine. It's also stuffed with authors and has more live theater options than I can count. I can make a list if you like?

Be careful with the absolute term of "won't ever" do something which is an idealistic term frivolously tossed around by the misguided youth. Life is full of twist and turns that enlightens during the maturation process. All it takes is one decade of growth or a couple of kids and the old earth no longer exists...maybe you are there, but based on my own reflection and experience with the term "won't ever"...it has led me to never ever, ever use the term "won't ever".

Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/1889911/cccp-socc2014.pdf

Take a look at that. It's our annual state of the center city

Man that picture of Charlotte SouthEnd is soooooo beautiful
Charlotte is second only to Atlanta in marketing and boosterism. It's an art and not science and many cities could learn from those two, well done.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Be careful with the absolute term of "won't ever" do something which is an idealistic term frivolously tossed around by the misguided youth. Life is full of twist and turns that enlightens during the maturation process. All it takes is one decade of growth or a couple of kids and the old earth no longer exists...maybe you are there, but based on my own reflection and experience with the term "won't ever"...it has led me to never ever, ever use the term "won't ever".
I agree. I'm only 1 job offer away from possibly going to North Dakota of all places. If Raleigh had decent paying jobs in my industry, I'd gladly take one of them.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Not necessarily. Unemployment is but one metric that shows how strong an economy is. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but you can't say that the Triangle has a stronger economy just because of unemployment. Now you can say the job market is better. But then Charlotte can say that it has a larger economy. I actually remember that there is one site that actually measures the strength of certain economies. I'll have to find it.
Charlotte currently has the fastest job growth in the state:

Quote:
The Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill area logged the largest net year-over-year employment increase in the state with 22,600 jobs, a gain of 2.6 percent. The Raleigh-Cary area followed with 13,000 jobs, a gain of 2.5 percent.
Mecklenburg jobless rate falls to 6.7% | CharlotteObserver.com

^^^Keep in mind that Durham-Chapel Hill's rate was less than Raleigh-Cary's. If the Triangle were combined, Charlotte would still have the state's fastest job growth rate.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
BigAristotle, you really don't know me or my circumstances. We're already well past that "misguided youth" stage and our ducks are pretty much in a row. If circumstances dictated that we move for some reason (sea level rose and Chapel Hill was obliterated) we have other options in our personal portfolio besides Charlotte. Isn't there anything you feel sure enough about to qualify with an absolute? You will always love your children perhaps? You will always hate Duke (or Carolina, but perish the thought)? You will always love the beach or the mountains? I am that confident and absolute in my personal conviction that we won't ever move to Charlotte. Enough other people live there and love it, Charlotte doesn't need me or mine.

For the OP, I do think it's well worth a look. Just because it doesn't suit my family doesn't mean it's not a great fit for other folks. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law and his family and sister-in-law and her family all seem happy there. Just not for me.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-06-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
More number and word games huh? Barely ahead in job growth %. Still well behind in unemployment. I will say this the gap is closing.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
P.S. urbancharlotte, my sister's brother-in-law lives in North Dakota and seems to like it fine. Their family lived there in the 90s I believe and then moved back South for a few years, but then returned to North Dakota again. Or maybe it's South Dakota. One of those. Could be a good move for you.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
To be honest this is not that serious. Both places are great! We all can one up each other all day long. Some people are getting too wound up in this thread. Some getting down right mad. You know who you are. Relax. Charlotte is a great city. But it has some real problems to deal with. Charlotte's greatest strength is sometimes is greatest weakness IMO.Thinking big.sometimes the big things get done. Not always the little ones. Raleigh on the other hand has the opposite problem. Lack of big thinking. Paul Coble is a real problem! We need some big city leadership. I hope the new city manager brings that. And Charlotte could stand some of the opposite.
Maybe we can trade leaders for a year lol. We would keep Paul Coble. I wouldn't give him to the dog catcher!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina