Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Someone needs to read back thru this thread. And the Atlanta vs Charlotte comparisons. It's clear to me not all but a lot of people(on c-d) have an obsession with Atlanta, being a BIG city and being so much better than Raleigh(triangle) in every way. Charlotte is the biggest city in nc.ok I said it. Better in some ways in some not so much. Charlotte is a little more urban than Raleigh outside of uptown they are almost the same. And what with the name change? It was downtown now it's uptown. Is that an improvement a name change. Then the city needs to go back and take down all the downtown signs. I see every time I'm there.Just saying.

Did you have your head in the ground or what?

The word uptown is plastered everywhere.... Exits, everything. Even signs That say "Uptown North, Uptown South, Uptown East, Uptown West" ...

News stations, newspapers, businesses, signs, everything refers to it as uptown...

Should we also revert back to our original name, Charlottetowne? Does it also bother you our name changed to Charlotte?

So obnoxious when people whine about uptown being called uptown....

I'd like to see these signs that say downtown. I can only think of one off the top of my head on the brookshire ramp from 85 north bound. On the flip side there are a ton of street signs referring to it as uptown. Then decorative entrances that say uptown etc. light rail says uptown.... Everything.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Going down Monroe is a better choice than down Independence. It will serve the southeast Charlotte better. Who knows when this will happens. There are a lot of apartments and neighborhoods from uptown to Matthews that would provide a large ridership that could pass the Blue Line now.
I think going down Monroe would be a great idea. Of course all of this is speculation and probably won't happen. But. Really a 7th street development down to Matthews.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
The point was it was called downtown then the name was changed to uptown. I think I have seen two old downtown signs by the way could. The name change is what seems a little silly. Trying to Change I don't know what but anyway. I don't know how many people from CD,from Raleigh and even people from Charlotte who thinks that the silliest thing they have ever seen. I often correct one of my friends from Charlotte and my girlfriend again from Charlotte. When they STILL say downtown I say uptown. The answer I always get is WHATEVER! Or I don't know who came up with that foolishness any way. It just seems like someone(Charlotte) is trying to hard sometimes. That was my point. Not so much about the old signs.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
The point was it was called downtown then the name was changed to uptown. I think I have seen two old downtown signs by the way could. The name change is what seems a little silly. Trying to Change I don't know what but anyway. I don't know how many people from CD,from Raleigh and even people from Charlotte who thinks that the silliest thing they have ever seen. I often correct one of my friends from Charlotte and my girlfriend again from Charlotte. When they STILL say downtown I say uptown. The answer I always get is WHATEVER! Or I don't know who came up with that foolishness any way. It just seems like someone(Charlotte) is trying to hard sometimes. That was my point. Not so much about the old signs.
I suppose that the change to Uptown from Downtown can be perceived as silly & pretentious to those who had previously known the CBD of Charlotte as Downtown. For me, I always find myself with a slight "rolling of the eye" whenever I hear the term because it seems so fake to me and seems to fly in the face of NC's Motto: "To be, rather than to seem". That said, it's probably not the same perception for younger people or those that are new to the state/city because they never knew it as anything but Uptown.
To a lesser extent, the same can be said for Raleigh's Midtown moniker. A developer redevelops and repackages the old North Hills Mall and rebrands the entire surrounding area Midtown. Long timers still mostly say "North Hills" which, BTW, is still the name of the changed and now expanded development for the immediate area and specific subdivision names for those areas that are adjacent: Quail Hollow, North Glen, Eastgate, Lakemont, etc. However, Midtown is used more and more by growing numbers of Triangle residents. The reason Midtown in Raleigh feels less fake to me is that the name doesn't erase the use of North Hills or other neighborhood names and hasn't renamed something that was previously perceived as inferior.
That's just my 2cents.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:

Been through that discussion and found out the term "uptown" is quite the common reference to downtown for cities/towns in that area. Basically, locals have used the term uptown for years so city leaders decided to use it...Do you call it a loop, beltway or interstate....is it the train, metro or subway? When in Rome just adjust...not that big of a deal but does confuse people and can seem silly if people think it's being used to be unique. No, just some old local term that's been around for years.

I think the NC DOT labels everything downtown on interstates, etc.....that's outside local naming jurisdiction so those signs will clearly state downtown.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Your right about MIDTOWN. kinda silly to. The only difference I can find is. It's is in the same place as the old north hills. But looks and feels nothing like the same place. Still a little silly. Most natives still call it north hills. Or the new north hills.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Your right about MIDTOWN. kinda silly to. The only difference I can find is. It's is in the same place as the old north hills. But looks and feels nothing like the same place. Still a little silly. Most natives still call it north hills. Or the new north hills.
My point is that it's actually still named North Hills (in Raleigh). That hasn't changed. It's the overall area and collection of neighborhoods around it that's taken on the Midtown moniker. Geographically that area is very central to the actual city limits much like Uptown in Charlotte refers to the fact that its CBD is north within the city limits. Raleigh's CBD is actually "down"-town. So, it all makes sense and easily maps to our American understanding of what these terms generally mean
I imagine that the use of these terms can be traced back to Manhattan where the financial district is downtown and both midtown and uptown are also used to refer to areas on the island. American cities probably mimic the downtown name to mean their CBDs regardless of actual location.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I suppose that the change to Uptown from Downtown can be perceived as silly & pretentious to those who had previously known the CBD of Charlotte as Downtown. For me, I always find myself with a slight "rolling of the eye" whenever I hear the term because it seems so fake to me and seems to fly in the face of NC's Motto: "To be, rather than to seem". That said, it's probably not the same perception for younger people or those that are new to the state/city because they never knew it as anything but Uptown.
Actually, I've heard that some old timers in Charlotte always referenced the CBD as Uptown, and it's actually a pretty common way to reference CBDs in that part of the Carolinas.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually, I've heard that some old timers in Charlotte always referenced the CBD as Uptown, and it's actually a pretty common way to reference CBDs in that part of the Carolinas.
Yep. Long debated and uptown dates way back. Back even before city leaders officially designated it uptown. The newspapers and such from way back when referenced it as uptown.

And being in my mid 20's, I have never known uptown by any other name. Center City Charlotte is the only other proper noun I call our CBD and use downtown as a pronoun. "Charlotte's downtown......" for example. I wouldn't say "Charlotte's uptown".

North Charlotte was renamed NoDa. Pretty soon they're going to come up with a name of the thousands of acres surrounding the airport and brand it just like Northlake, University City, Ballantyne, etc. Are any of those names any older than the "uptown" name?

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-19-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM

Duke and Carolina tomorrow live on ESPN! But you still have the bobcats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina