Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
You can't attend a college football game in Charlotte, well for now anyways.
Haha, you got me there. However, the Panthers do qualify as football LOL.
Also, there is the Meineke Car Care bowl here every year.

This is the WVU rally at Epicentre last year. WVU won BTW.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
You can't attend a college football game in Charlotte, well for now anyways.
Technically you could at JCSU (which doesn't really appeal to people who aren't familiar with the Black college football tradition, and even for those who are, JCSU is a small school in a relatively small conference), but college football in NC sucks anyway. Charlotteans would be much better off going to Death Valley in Clemson or Williams-Brice in Columbia; those are real college football atmospheres.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Haha, you got me there. However, the Panthers do qualify as football LOL.
Also, there is the Meineke Car Care bowl here every year.

This is the WVU rally at Epicentre last year. WVU won BTW.
wow, what an awesome picture.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Technically you could at JCSU (which doesn't really appeal to people who aren't familiar with the Black college football tradition, and even for those who are, JCSU is a small school in a relatively small conference), but college football in NC sucks anyway. Charlotteans would be much better off going to Death Valley in Clemson or Williams-Brice in Columbia; those are real college football atmospheres.
Very true, hopefully the Niners will give Charlotte some local football pride when the team gets going.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
I stayed at the Epicentre's Aloft about a month and a half ago. It's very nice. Don't let the WVU pic fool you it's not that lively, even at night. It's okay, but nothing over the top at all. I like how the rail line is tied into the facility. That was one of the coolest features. I wish Charlotte had a more homegrown nightlife atmosphere. The nightlife currently just doesn't match the city's size. However I do see DT Charlotte's nightlife blowing up in the next 5-10 years.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM

while not as crowded as in the pic(Lord I hope not), epicentre gets pretty packed wed-sat nights.....not my type of place, but it can be fun with a group of friends if you're looking to spend money.

Last edited by carolinablue; 08-21-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 07:11 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Very true, hopefully the Niners will give Charlotte some local football pride when the team gets going.
In addition to JC Smith, you've got Wingate down in Union County and Davidson College; all have football teams, albiet they play on a much lower level than D-I schools.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I stayed at the Epicentre's Aloft about a month and a half ago. It's very nice. Don't let the WVU pic fool you it's not that lively, even at night. It's okay, but nothing over the top at all. I like how the rail line is tied into the facility. That was one of the coolest features. I wish Charlotte had a more homegrown nightlife atmosphere. The nightlife currently just doesn't match the city's size. However I do see DT Charlotte's nightlife blowing up in the next 5-10 years.
I think you are forgetting that Epicentre (and the block around Epicentre) is not a finished product. There is quite a bit of construction in that area. Bank of America is building a 30 story office tower. H&M and Bang & Olufsen might be coming to that area. Epicentre might get a condo tower built on top of it (one of these days ). In short, Epicentre and its general area is still very much so in its infancy.

Also (as one poster has already pointed out) Epicentre is quite busy from Wed-Sat night. This past Tuesday, there was a loooong line of people waiting to get into Whisky River sometime around midnight. Yeah, on a Tuesday night. It makes you wonder, when do some of these folks go to work?

I guess I am not the only 2nd and 3rd shifter here in the QC lol!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think you are forgetting that Epicentre (and the block around Epicentre) is not a finished product. There is quite a bit of construction in that area. Bank of America is building a 30 story office tower. H&M and Bang & Olufsen might be coming to that area. Epicentre might get a condo tower built on top of it (one of these days ). In short, Epicentre and its general area is still very much so in its infancy.

Also (as one poster has already pointed out) Epicentre is quite busy from Wed-Sat night. This past Tuesday, there was a loooong line of people waiting to get into Whisky River sometime around midnight. Yeah, on a Tuesday night. It makes you wonder, when do some of these folks go to work?

I guess I am not the only 2nd and 3rd shifter here in the QC lol!
Yeah I know it's not finished. One thing I will say is this. Charlotte's building a sizable foundation to finally compete with other large cities in the years to come. All of the new development, even with the high vacancy, will eventually become filled up to make Charlotte a cool city and livelier city.

What was the name of the Italian Restaurant on the first floor. The food was very good. I didn't expect for it to be so good, because it looked like a typical pizza joint. I was shocked!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
What was the name of the Italian Restaurant on the first floor. The food was very good. I didn't expect for it to be so good, because it looked like a typical pizza joint. I was shocked!
You are talking about Lebrettos. They quickly became my favorite pizza joint in Charlotte after just the first visit. My wife's favorite restaurant in uptown is Mert's Heart and Soul (a soul food joint). They are located just a couple of blocks north of Epicentre on College (across from Hearst Tower).
Quote:
Yeah I know it's not finished. One thing I will say is this. Charlotte's building a sizable foundation to finally compete with other large cities in the years to come. All of the new development, even with the high vacancy, will eventually become filled up to make Charlotte a cool city and livelier city.
For once we agree! That is why I am soooo excited about Charlotte's progress. Charlotte gives me that "I can't wait to see what's coming next" feeling. It feels good living in a city that keeps moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina