Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,475,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I suppose you called Charlotte a town when it was over 400,000 people? I suppose Mecklenburg County had nearly a million people when Charlotte was but a "town"? Oh please. This is the typical "look down your nose", condescending "compli-sult" that's used on Raleigh all the time. Will Raleigh always be a town because it didn't gobble up nearly 300 square miles of land to inflate its population and stature? Don't worry Charlotte boosters, Raleigh will never be the same physical size and you can continue to pretend it's insignificant and WAY smaller than Charlotte forever. We'll also make sure not to build any 60 story towers downtown so that it continues to feed that perception. We'll just stay busy connecting the street level scene and human scale of our growing urban core in our "town".

Sheesh.....
It wasn't a sleight against Raleigh, feel free to call Charlotte a "town" too. No one ever said it was small nor insignificant, just not larger than Charlotte. It's another fast-growing medium sized metro in the state just like Charlotte.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,975 times
Raleigh has best crime rate among large cities in NC. Last I saw wake co schools were ranked 24th in NC and Mecklenburg was 74th out of 113 school systems in NC. and GDP is a nice bragging point but not doing much for anyone who is out of work. NOT making lite of anyones unemployment. Just saying GDP dose little for average person. All these points have been over b4. You have followed this thread as long as I have. Stop twisting facts to make yourself feel better. My only point is you can't look down your nose at us when you have plenty of things to work on.Everyone with a brain knows wake co schools are better fact! Crime in Raleigh is better than Charlotte fact! Unemployment is better fact! Traffic is better and taxes are lower fact! Stop coming up with stats to twist facts. It's not working sorry. Once again I will say this one last time I hope? My only problem with this thread is boosters thinking no city in NC can even compare to Charlotte.Foolish comments about not being on Charlottes level. B4 you go that far you might want to fix a few things. If you like Austincool I can go back and find posts with links to back up everything I have said if that will make you happy. Then what will be your come back to the I wonder. Stay tuned!
As far as the poll the amount of Charlotte boosters on this thread speaks for itself. I will add one last thing. It's seems kinda silly to me at least. To get on city-data and brag about pro sports teams pro sports team that suck. Theme parks hall of fames and skyscrapers when. You public schools are bad,crime is bad,taxes too high maybe going higher,unemployment needing to be addressed.traffic just terrible rush hour in NC starts at 5 not 3. Just saying. You can blast me all you want but that changes nothing. Charlotte gas good points and Raleigh(triangle) has good points. The funny thing I will admit Raleigh's weak points but to get a booster like(fill in blank) to admit Charlottes shortfalls is like pulling teeth.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
How a city with such a stronger economy have higher unemployment?
There is much more to an economy than the unemployment rate. A perfect example is Charleston, WV (one of a few different areas I've previously lived in). Throughout this great recession, much of West Virginia had lower unemployment than NC. However, when it comes to GDP and job creation, NC tops WV. The same can be said about metro Charlotte vs the Triangle.

How a city that is so much better have such underperforming schools?
Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District Wins Prestigious Broad Prize - US News

How a city that is so much better have much higher crime rates?
I don't have a link at the moment, but the last time I checked this info, Charlotte was by no means the crime capital of NC. NC towns MUCH smaller than Charlotte holds that title. At any rate, you'll be happy to know that violent crime in Charlotte (and NC as a whole) is on the decline. Also, Raleigh's neighbor (Durham) has borrowed a few of Charlotte's crime fighting techniques when it comes to prostitution.
Could Charlotte Scheme Reduce Prostitution in Durham? :: WRAL.com

Charlotte is solving these issues as we speak. Job creation, improving schools, and attracting a young educated work force has led to a major drop in the area's mid-1990s crime rate. Char-Meck Police's take-down of the Hidden Valley Kings gang has also helped drop Charlotte's overall crime. I know that name sounds a bit "soft" for a street gang, but these young punks were bad news around here 10-15 years ago...

Gangland S04E09 HIDDEN VALLEY KINGS - YouTube
We are not talking w va. Let's stick with NC. As far as Durham you win on that one.lol Durham needs some help. Not all but parts have problems. Work in progress. I will say this. I go to Durham often if you know where not to go it's not a problem. The problem is the bad parts are bad. And give people the idea that it's all of Durham. Maybe the same can be said of Charlotte.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,263,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Raleigh has best crime rate among large cities in NC. Last I saw wake co schools were ranked 24th in NC and Mecklenburg was 74th out of 113 school systems in NC. and GDP is a nice bragging point but not doing much for anyone who is out of work. NOT making lite of anyones unemployment. Just saying GDP dose little for average person. All these points have been over b4. You have followed this thread as long as I have. Stop twisting facts to make yourself feel better. My only point is you can't look down your nose at us when you have plenty of things to work on.Everyone with a brain knows wake co schools are better fact! Crime in Raleigh is better than Charlotte fact! Unemployment is better fact! Traffic is better and taxes are lower fact! Stop coming up with stats to twist facts. It's not working sorry. Once again I will say this one last time I hope? My only problem with this thread is boosters thinking no city in NC can even compare to Charlotte.Foolish comments about not being on Charlottes level. B4 you go that far you might want to fix a few things. If you like Austincool I can go back and find posts with links to back up everything I have said if that will make you happy. Then what will be your come back to the I wonder. Stay tuned!
As far as the poll the amount of Charlotte boosters on this thread speaks for itself. I will add one last thing. It's seems kinda silly to me at least. To get on city-data and brag about pro sports teams pro sports team that suck. Theme parks hall of fames and skyscrapers when. You public schools are bad,crime is bad,taxes too high maybe going higher,unemployment needing to be addressed.traffic just terrible rush hour in NC starts at 5 not 3. Just saying. You can blast me all you want but that changes nothing. Charlotte gas good points and Raleigh(triangle) has good points. The funny thing I will admit Raleigh's weak points but to get a booster like(fill in blank) to admit Charlottes shortfalls is like pulling teeth.
I mean no offense, but I'm trying to understand what you're really trying to get at. Boosters from Raleigh and Charlotte are not going to admit their respective cities faults. I no several Charlotte 'boosters" who have repeatedly stated Charlotte faults. One of them is actually Bank of America. As far as the public schools go, I have heard wonderful things about Wake, CMS is actually a good district. Urbancharlotte posted a link already stating that. I would also like to know what facts are being twisted to make Charlotte look good?

There is also a difference between a larger economy and a stronger economy. Charlotte's economy is definitely larger than the Triangle but I don't know if I would say it is stronger. I can look at a few sources to confirm that. Also, it is very possible to have an increase in GDP but little job creation. Case in point, 2013 saw large stock market gains but wages and employment didn't improve at the same rate. GDP really is a measure of goods and services produced in a region. GDP and employment are different metrics that tell you different things.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Potentially good news for the Independence corridor in Charlotte. For those from Charlotte remember that this area was THE area in Charlotte.

Texas firm to buy, renovate Coliseum Center on East Independence - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I mean no offense, but I'm trying to understand what you're really trying to get at. Boosters from Raleigh and Charlotte are not going to admit their respective cities faults. I no several Charlotte 'boosters" who have repeatedly stated Charlotte faults. One of them is actually Bank of America. As far as the public schools go, I have heard wonderful things about Wake, CMS is actually a good district. Urbancharlotte posted a link already stating that. I would also like to know what facts are being twisted to make Charlotte look good?

There is also a difference between a larger economy and a stronger economy. Charlotte's economy is definitely larger than the Triangle but I don't know if I would say it is stronger. I can look at a few sources to confirm that. Also, it is very possible to have an increase in GDP but little job creation. Case in point, 2013 saw large stock market gains but wages and employment didn't improve at the same rate. GDP really is a measure of goods and services produced in a region. GDP and employment are different metrics that tell you different things.
I will admit any honest fault that Raleigh or the triangle has. No problem. The article that urbancharlotte linked said the schools were getting better. That good. But it didn't say they were good. One school was last in state and got better. But once again getting better is not the same as good. I am most happy for kids never want to see any child left behind. We are comparing Wake and Meck. Who better not who's getting better. That called twisting the facts. And the link about crime same thing. That was funny about Durham tho! I looked up stats for 2012. SBI Uniform crime report 2012. I will just use total crime numbers. Charlotte/meck 37,825. Raleigh 15557. Even if you count Durham. Who I admit drags the numbers down a bit 11992. That gives you 27549 a gap of 10,276 total crimes. To say you are the 8th safest among cities over 500,000 is true. But not the point this is Raleigh/Charlotte remember? Ad GDP is good to brag on but what dose it prove? Not much. Bigger is not always better. I would much rather have a lower GDP than higher unemployment.
By the way I have nothing against Charlotte! I probably am there more than some of the biggest boosters. It's just a debate. As I have said b4. Not going to let just anything be said with no answer back. This is no holds barred remember. You can't change facts just because you don't like them.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,274,149 times
Quote:
Potentially good news for the Independence corridor in Charlotte. For those from Charlotte remember that this area was THE area in Charlotte.

Texas firm to buy, renovate Coliseum Center on East Independence - Charlotte Business Journal
GREAT news!!! Also, we could see more residential developments near Romare Bearden Park and the Knights new stadium.

Greystar exploring 26-story high-rise next to BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
GREAT news!!! Also, we could see more residential developments near Romare Bearden Park and the Knights new stadium.

Greystar exploring 26-story high-rise next to BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte Business Journal
That would be awesome! With projects like this I typically believe it when I see it. However, this might actually have some traction. I'm curious to see what the "retail" space will be. In my wildest dream it would be an H&M. Lol. But we'll see. I doubt H&M will come there but it would be nice to see some actual retail in uptown.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 AM

Here is a link to a rather well reputable organization that ranks metropolitan areas economy. Charlotte is ranked as the nations 21st strongest economy and Raleigh is ranked 30th and Durham is ranked 47th. Looks like Charlotte's economy is not that weak.

METRO RANK

Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,308,183 times
Quote:
Here is a link to a rather well reputable organization that ranks metropolitan areas economy. Charlotte is ranked as the nations 21st strongest economy and Raleigh is ranked 30th and Durham is ranked 47th. Looks like Charlotte's economy is not that weak.

METRO RANK
Never has been. Not even during the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina