Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,344,328 times

Advertisements

Charlotte got the green light (to be eligible/apply) from the Federal Government for The Streetcar Extension. The gold line will connect 2 universities and CPCC college, Novant hospital, the front door of Plaza-Midwood, Hornets arena, & Light Rail/Bus Station. The next phases will go through Plaza, to the airport, and to a neighborhood bus transfer station.

Also, the Blue Line extension Construction is supposed to ramp up in March.

I hope the Gold Line street cars have the same design as the blue line but with Gold & Black.

Charlotte's streetcar plans roll forward with federal green light - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM

601 posts, read 957,236 times
^ Durham/Orange also got the green light to be eligible for their light rail line. This is pretty big for the Triangle area. I only wish that Wake would stop stalling with their plans:

Triangle Transit gets federal approval to plan Durham-Orange light rail | Durham County | NewsObserver.com

Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,275,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
GREAT news!!! Also, we could see more residential developments near Romare Bearden Park and the Knights new stadium.

Greystar exploring 26-story high-rise next to BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte Business Journal
And here's another project coming soon to uptown. Raleigh's Skyhouse is already underway, but looks like Charlotte's is soon to follow.

Construction to begin soon on 24-story SkyHouse apartment building - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
No city will have an unemployment rate of zero. But your bipolar posts aren't worth replying to anymore.
I know that! I was saying for the people with a brain. I hope they both go to Zero. Or I hope the economy in both areas get better. I don't have to attack people with every post like you. I have no enemies on city data or anywhere else. This is not serious get a life. We go back and forth and then we give each other a LITTLE credit at least. Like when urbancharlotte posted about the Feds giving lite rails first step approval. I think that was positive. I guess that's bipolar too huh. You are funny this is a pass time not a blood sport you need to grow up son!

Last edited by Atowwn; 02-27-2014 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Wrong word changed from without to with

Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,975 times
[quote=adavi215;33657294]These guys are pretty reputable when it comes to measuring metro economies. At this point I see you will not give credit to Charlotte for it not being as weak as you thought it was. That's ok. I have shown evidence otherwise. Mind you, earlier in this thread I actually believed the Triangles economy was stronger before Urbancharlotte corrected me causing to search this link out.[/
One list say one thing one says another. Who knows what's true. Let's just say they both could get better. And leave it at that.
Can I ask a positive question if that alright don't want to be bipolar or anything like that. What's up with the olympics. Is that really possible or pie in the sky talk. If so that would be great for all of NC. Who would pay for all the upgrades. I think the state would have to kick in a lot of money. Might be worth a try though. Hope that wasn't too bipolar lol.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,275,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Can I ask a positive question if that alright don't want to be bipolar or anything like that. What's up with the olympics. Is that really possible or pie in the sky talk. If so that would be great for all of NC. Who would pay for all the upgrades. I think the state would have to kick in a lot of money. Might be worth a try though. Hope that wasn't too bipolar lol.
First of all, I don't think the Olympics is pie-in-the-sky at all. Atlanta, LA, and St. Louis have all hosted the Summer games and none of those cities were their current sizes when they played host. However, I do believe there are better US candidates than Charlotte; Miami and Dallas come to mind. DC also seems like a good host city.

I think the two most realistic major sporting events for Charlotte would be the NBA All Star Game and/or the Super Bowl. I'm almost certain that Charlotte will host both of these events within the next 10-15 years. I also tend to believe that Charlotte (along with Portland) will be the next MLB expansion city (whenever there actually is another MLB expansion ). Take a look at the photo link below....

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/img...23852697-5.jpg

^^^In this photo, you can clearly see the new Knights Ballpark and 3rd Ward's massive swath of surface parking lots (YUCK!). The good news about the surface lots is that rerouting Graham Street to the West would be simple and cheap. Moving Graham Street would produce the extra land needed to expand the Knights stadium to MLB standards. Such an expansion probably wouldn't happen until 2025 or so. By then, Charlotte should have close to 30 miles of rail transit, a widened I-77, a completed US 74 Freeway, a completed I-485, and a redesigned I-277 loop around uptown. In other words, Charlotte could have the infrastructure in place to host an event like the Olympics within the next 10-15 years; I doubt Charlotte would be chosen over the likes of Miami or Dallas though.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,264,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I would absolutely love to see NC host. The Olympics. No slight to Raleigh but I think Charlotte has better infrastructure now to support the Olympics than the Triangle. I don't see this happening for another 5-6 Olympics though. In addition to what Urbancharlotte added I also think the physical size of CLT airport would have to expand in order to accommodate all the traffic. However, by that time the Triangle may be the better candidate.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And here's another project coming soon to uptown. Raleigh's Skyhouse is already underway, but looks like Charlotte's is soon to follow.

Construction to begin soon on 24-story SkyHouse apartment building - Charlotte Business Journal
Looks like the boom is back(ish). There is also Portman, 210 Trade revival, a "transformative" project near Stonewall, and the Metropolitan addition. I'm excited to see the new building boom. Will we get a super-tall by 2030? Lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
^ Durham/Orange also got the green light to be eligible for their light rail line. This is pretty big for the Triangle area. I only wish that Wake would stop stalling with their plans:

Triangle Transit gets federal approval to plan Durham-Orange light rail | Durham County | NewsObserver.com
Great news for the Triangle. I am excited to see this happening. I am curious to see why Raleigh is slow on approving this. I am not familiar with the political landscape there so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. If Raleigb doesn't get its act together it may not be too far off to say that Durham becomes the primary city in the Triangle.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,348,767 times
Raleigh-Wake voters need to throw out the elected foot draggers who have impeded that county's development of mass transit infrastructure and have approved suburban development instead of dense urban development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina