Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You aren't missing much on Sundays. There are some clubs and bars open in Charlotte on Sundays. However, the streets are DEAD when compared to Wed-Saturday. Club Crush (it is now "Club Ice") used to be packed on some Sunday nights. Since the name change, I haven't noticed anyone there on Sundays. The place actually looks closed now on Sundays.

On a brighter note, "Club Savoy 2002" on Brookshire was FREAKING PACKED this past Sunday night. The club ran out of parking space so people were using Burger King, the ABC store, and a nearby gas station's parking lot. It was an amazing sight for midnight on a Sunday night.

In time, Charlotte will become a true 24-7 party spot. There seems to be alot of push from city leaders to make this a reality. More nights to party is certainly a welcome sight IMO.
I believe that too! I see a lot of wheels being put into motion for Charlotte to realize that goal of going 24-7. It'll probably happen within the next 5 years.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you like the stereotype of Texas then Charlotte is for you.

If you like the stereotype of California, then Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is your cup of tea.
I've always thought of Charlotte along the same lines as a Texas city. Not neccessarilly in politics, but the overall feel in general.

I don't know about the Raleigh/Cali thing... More like NOVA or parts of south New Jersey.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I've always thought of Charlotte along the same lines as a Texas city. Not neccessarilly in politics, but the overall feel in general.

I don't know about the Raleigh/Cali thing... More like NOVA or parts of south New Jersey.
I agree. I used to live in Dallas, and I also lived in Atlanta. Charlotte reminds me more of a smaller version of Dallas than a smaller version of Atlanta. Sounds weird, hard to quantify, but that's just the way I felt about the three. Can't speak to Raleigh, I've visited a million times, but never lived there. However, one way the Triangle (Raleigh & Durham) reminds me of Dallas is the way you find almost just as many commercial buildings in surburban locations as you do in their downtown areas. That definitly gives the Triangle a sort of Texas vibe to me.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I agree. I used to live in Dallas, and I also lived in Atlanta. Charlotte reminds me more of a smaller version of Dallas than a smaller version of Atlanta. Sounds weird, hard to quantify, but that's just the way I felt about the three. Can't speak to Raleigh, I've visited a million times, but never lived there. However, one way the Triangle (Raleigh & Durham) reminds me of Dallas is the way you find almost just as many commercial buildings in surburban locations as you do in their downtown areas. That definitly gives the Triangle a sort of Texas vibe to me.
What kind of commercial buildings are you talking about in the downtown areas?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
What kind of commercial buildings are you talking about in the downtown areas?
Office buildings.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post

Metro.m, I think your assessment is quite a fair assessment.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM

749 posts, read 1,315,967 times
For what it's worth, this Charlottean enjoys Raleigh quite a bit. I've had some good times in our Capital City.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Great news!!! This is an old rumor that is finally coming to fruition. 11 million seems kinda cheap tho. Oh well, anything is better than nothing. Carowinds seriously needs a 250 foot (or taller) coaster. Hopefully, this will be it (even if it is only $11 million).
Make that 23 million. Intimidator - The Tallest, Fastest, Longest Coaster in the Southeast :: Carowinds

Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you like the stereotype of Texas then Charlotte is for you.

If you like the stereotype of California, then Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is your cup of tea.
Texas and California are HUGE states. I think a narrower comparison would be more appropriate.

I am not going to make a comment about Charlotte but I am guessing that lumbollo is referring to the Silicon Valley when making a comparison to the Triangle??? If that's the case, I can see some similarities.
Personally, I think that no place is going to be exactly "like" another place but that similarities do exist on different levels. To that end, the places that come to my mind when I think of the Triangle are: Austin, NOVA & Silicon Valley. And, yes, I have been to all those places.
Other places like Madison, WI make me think: "How would a city feel if you combined Raleigh and Chapel Hill and split the difference in their sizes?" Again, that's just how I see it.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
6 million in 10 miles? That had to have been a typo.
If the photo was from when the stadium was new, they could have meant 600,000.
Lol maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina