Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Interesting because Charlotte lacks culture according to City Data.
Well the prevalence of cultural venues doesn't exactly mean that a city has a lot of culture in the popular sense; for instance, Charlotte probably has more cultural venues than smaller cities like Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville due to size but that doesn't necessarily mean that Charlotte has more culture. However, even still, Charlotte is often sold short in this department.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte is getting one of the worlds largest & fastest roller coasters in the world. Cedar fair, from what I understand, is going to be working on making Carowinds a flagship theme park and make it become a "destination" park (as opposed to regional)
Yes, it has been a stated goal of Cedar Fair to make Carowinds the "Cedar Point of the South". This bold statement was made earlier this year and allegedly made a few years before Intimidator was built. Also, 61 acres of new land has been purchased near Carowinds; plans call for some type of resort on that new property.

Charlotte specifically has been called Cedar Fair's "growth market". In other words, Carowinds has been identified as a park that's currently too small for its market. We can expect more growth from Carowinds in the years to come.

As for the new coaster coming to Carowinds next year (Fury 325), check out its world ranking here.

The following are videos of the new ride and Carowinds' new entrance for 2015.

Carowinds Fury 325 Announcement! New For 2015! World's Tallest & Fastest Giga Roller Coaster - YouTube

Fury 325 Virtual Ride Worlds Tallest Giga Roller Coaster Carowinds 2015 - YouTube

^^^Just for the record, Charlotte city council (and Mecklenburg county) gets the credit for this economic/tourism development. The following is a story link about the tax incentives given to Cedar Fair to make this happen (due to the fact that most of this expansion will be on the Charlotte side of the park, not the Fort Mill side).
Mecklenburg County OKs tax incentive for Carowinds expansion | CharlotteObserver.com

^^^Now, for those of you who might think its silly to give tax breaks for tourism, take a look at the following info.

2013 Visitor Spending

$4.610 billion -Mecklenburg
$1.883 billion -Wake
$1.207 billion -Guilford
$20.219 billion-North Carolina
NC Tourism > Research > Economic Impact > TEIM

Above are NC's top 3 visitor spending counties as well as the total visitor spending for the entire state. Mecklenburg county represents nearly 23% of NC's total visitor spending. Keep in mind that these are 2013 numbers. Therefore, Charlotte's new outlet mall, the Knights' move to uptown from Fort Mill, and Charlotte's World's tallest roller coaster are not yet factored in. By 2015, Mecklenburg's visitor spending could top the $5 billion mark.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
I love that the roller coaster is Hornets themed and I like how they showed the hornets flying from the uptown skyline.

Makes me even more excited for the Charlotte Hornets! I see soooo much Hornets gear these days. 10x more than I ever seen of Bobcats

Old 08-23-2014, 09:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
Man that video is so epic. I like how they did(bam look at that skyline) Its getting crazy reviews all over YouTube. I can't wait. This really will put Charlotte in a higher tier when they make this a destination park with a new resort also. Man our tourism numbers are going to skyrocket with everyone around the USA and behind coming here.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well the prevalence of cultural venues doesn't exactly mean that a city has a lot of culture in the popular sense; for instance, Charlotte probably has more cultural venues than smaller cities like Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville due to size but that doesn't necessarily mean that Charlotte has more culture. However, even still, Charlotte is often sold short in this department.
If you're referring to indigenous culture, most smaller historic cities have been able to keep that type of culture intact and it is a huge tourist draw. However, if you're referring to a mix of demographics, festivals, communities and activities involving an array of cultural events, the larger metros (Charlotte, etc) excel in those departments due to shear population size.

For instance, you can't compare Asheville to Charlotte with respect to diversity and cultural activities. Charlotte probably offers more activities and events tailored to African American culture in 1 month than Asheville offers all year. But Asheville undeniably has it's local quirkiness, etc and other activities that it thrives on.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
If you're referring to indigenous culture, most smaller historic cities have been able to keep that type of culture intact and it is a huge tourist draw. However, if you're referring to a mix of demographics, festivals, communities and activities involving an array of cultural events, the larger metros (Charlotte, etc) excel in those departments due to shear population size.
For the most part, but that's not necessarily a given. For instance, I think Charleston gives Charlotte a run in pretty much all of those categories. And New Orleans definitely competes with metros over four-five times its size, like Atlanta and Houston.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Charlotte came in 9th place in the Top 20 U.S. Cities for Culture: Cultural Venues Density per City Population.
Ok. That's cool. Top 10 based on population. I'd rather be top 10 period.

Downtown Raleigh’s arts district comes of age | Arts & Culture | NewsObserver.com

By the way Durham or Chapel Hill not included in ranking. That wouldn't even be a fair fight lol.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yes, it has been a stated goal of Cedar Fair to make Carowinds the "Cedar Point of the South". This bold statement was made earlier this year and allegedly made a few years before Intimidator was built. Also, 61 acres of new land has been purchased near Carowinds; plans call for some type of resort on that new property.

Charlotte specifically has been called Cedar Fair's "growth market". In other words, Carowinds has been identified as a park that's currently too small for its market. We can expect more growth from Carowinds in the years to come.

As for the new coaster coming to Carowinds next year (Fury 325), check out its world ranking here.

The following are videos of the new ride and Carowinds' new entrance for 2015.

Carowinds Fury 325 Announcement! New For 2015! World's Tallest & Fastest Giga Roller Coaster - YouTube

Fury 325 Virtual Ride Worlds Tallest Giga Roller Coaster Carowinds 2015 - YouTube

^^^Just for the record, Charlotte city council (and Mecklenburg county) gets the credit for this economic/tourism development. The following is a story link about the tax incentives given to Cedar Fair to make this happen (due to the fact that most of this expansion will be on the Charlotte side of the park, not the Fort Mill side).
Mecklenburg County OKs tax incentive for Carowinds expansion | CharlotteObserver.com

^^^Now, for those of you who might think its silly to give tax breaks for tourism, take a look at the following info.

2013 Visitor Spending

$4.610 billion -Mecklenburg
$1.883 billion -Wake
$1.207 billion -Guilford
$20.219 billion-North Carolina
NC Tourism > Research > Economic Impact > TEIM

Above are NC's top 3 visitor spending counties as well as the total visitor spending for the entire state. Mecklenburg county represents nearly 23% of NC's total visitor spending. Keep in mind that these are 2013 numbers. Therefore, Charlotte's new outlet mall, the Knights' move to uptown from Fort Mill, and Charlotte's World's tallest roller coaster are not yet factored in. By 2015, Mecklenburg's visitor spending could top the $5 billion mark.
The new coaster is even big news up 85. A few of my co workers were talking about it. They said they would never ride it. Too much for them! I'll ride it. At least once. I haven't been to Carowinds in about 4 years now. Is the food any better. It sucked when I was last there. The rides were great. At least the Intimidator was.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
The Carolina Aviation Museum was free Saturday August 23, 2014. Here are a few pictures I took

Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The new coaster is even big news up 85. A few of my co workers were talking about it. They said they would never ride it. Too much for them! I'll ride it. At least once. I haven't been to Carowinds in about 4 years now. Is the food any better. It sucked when I was last there. The rides were great. At least the Intimidator was.
The food has been an issue for many visitors and there are plans to change that next season.

Quote:
"The park will be revamped to celebrate Carolina culture including new rides and attractions, signature Carolina food offerings and entertainment."
Carowinds world's tallest and fastest giga coaster Fury 325 - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

I'm not sure what "signature Carolina food offerings" mean, but it's safe to assume that real BBQ might become a regular item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina