Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Cause and effect. The low density core county population is the effect; typical suburban sprawl developments are the causes.
Ummm, did you just miss the whole history piece of my post? LOL Had Fulton County not merged with Milton and Campbell Counties, it would have had a significantly higher population density but Atlanta would still be a low-density metro. Most likely, it would have a population density similar to that of neighboring DeKalb County, which contains a portion of the city of Atlanta, at 2,586 persons/sq mi. Incidentally, while not a very high-density county, DeKalb is among the top 50 densest counties in the country.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-02-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't really represent a huge difference in the overall growth and development patterns between Atlanta and Charlotte. For the most part, Charlotte is developing just as Atlanta has.

True, but At the same time I am very into urban growth. So to me it matters a lot. even if our urban cores are only 15% of our populations

So like I've said, I would love and expect, nearly all Highrises to be in or directly outside of uptown. With maybe a token presence in othe parts of the city. And I agree with UrbanCharlotte, I would loveee for ATL to have been one giant downtown instead of 3

Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
True, but At the same time I am very into urban growth. So to me it matters a lot. even if our urban cores are only 15% of our populations
I understand it means a great deal to you, but I'm saying that looking at overall trends in metropolitan development patterns, Atlanta and Charlotte are like 85%-90% the same.

Quote:
So like I've said, I would love and expect, nearly all Highrises to be in or directly outside of uptown. With maybe a token presence in othe parts of the city. And I agree with UrbanCharlotte, I would loveee for ATL to have been one giant downtown instead of 3
That sounds good on paper, but no metropolitan area the size of Atlanta (or larger) has only one centrally-located CBD, especially if it experienced significant growth in the age of the automobile. I think Buckhead does just fine by itself, but downtown and Midtown are close enough to see those two cores grow even closer together in my lifetime.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Atlanta can not compare to Houston skyline. When you fly into Houston it looks 7 or 8 Atlanta's and Charlottes as far as you can see. Houston is our 4th largest US City.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Atlanta can not compare to Houston skyline. When you fly into Houston it looks 7 or 8 Atlanta's and Charlottes as far as you can see. Houston is our 4th largest US City.
You're wildly exaggerating, but what does this have to do with the discussion?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're wildly exaggerating, but what does this have to do with the discussion?

Agreed. I actually have a lot of family in Houston and family in Atlanta. I'm much much more familiar with ATL, but having family in Houston (Kingwood, Humble & Pasadena) I'm familiar with both areas.

As a matter of fact all of my family who moved to Houston in the late 70's & 80's (because of the economy) all left for Charlotte & Atlanta. It's the people they married who were from Houston That stayed in Houston (they all divorced if your wondering). And none of them would ever leave to go back to Houston. They all came to Charlotte, but some vacationed in ATL and loved it so much they moved there

Sorry for off topic. Now I'm thinking about all my fond memories of Charlote back in the day. I loved the cassette place uptown.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No question about it!!! And though I do envy Midtown and Buckhead, I'd really like to see Charlotte keep most of its highrise developments inside the I-277 loop. Imagine how much better Atlanta would be if everything within Midtown, Buckhead, and downtown were all confined to a 2-3 sq/mile walkable area. If Charlotte could pull off such a thing within the next 30 years, that would truly be amazing!!!
Cause and effect. The low density core county population is the effect; typical suburban sprawl developments are the causes.
I think Charlotte will do better in this regard. The only other places that might have a semblance of a skyline are Southpark and Ballantyne. Although, outside of Charlotte I can only think of Fort Mill that may have something like a skyline possibly in the future. This is a long ways off but I'm thinking of the locations of LPL and a handful of others that have moved across the state line. I'm also certain that there is an ordinance that states only Uptown can have high rises.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
CPCC, Germany-based Festo Didactic to establish advanced-manufacturing training center

Central Piedmont Community College has signed a letter of intent with Festo Didactic SE to establish a North American training center at the college's Central Campus in midtown Charlotte.
The Festo-CPCC Learning Center of Excellence will be part a $23.5 million advanced-manufacturing training facility that will be built at the campus.

The 100,000-square-foot building at the corner of Fourth Street and Charlottetowne Avenue is expected to be complete in fall 2017.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
It looks like everyone is not happy with all the money being spent on public transportation there. Notice one of the comments. The one that calls a Uptown fantasy land is especially funny.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ml#VAj-O3-9KK0

Seems like some Charlotte residents might want to trade. Our better roads for your better public transportation. By the way I looked at our bus routes and schedule. I must say coverage is pretty good. But routes stop running way to early. Especially on weekends

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-04-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
A city without light or heavy rail transportation is well, not yet quite a city. It is the essential ingredient of true urbanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina