Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Those are some nice condos. You know we don't have those here Charlotte may have more condos but as usual we are leading in a much more important category.

Raleigh is kicking Charlotte's butt in post-recession job growth - Charlotte Business Journal
I consider myself to be a numbers nerd and from the looks of things, this is actually good news for Charlotte. Take a close look at the following quote from the link above...

"Charlotte lost 72,400 jobs in the recession. It has since added 100,900 jobs, for a recovery rate of 140%. Nice job, Queen City. But Raleigh. Oh, Raleigh. The state's capital lost 33,100 jobs in the recession. It has added 71,000 jobs since then. That's a 214% recovery rate. Wow."

Here's what caught my eye. Charlotte added 100,900 jobs while Raleigh added 71,000. If we were to expand this numerical trend out by 15 years, Charlotte would add another 300,000 jobs while Raleigh adds 210,000. Though Raleigh has a higher rate of post-recession recovery (only because of a relatively small loss of jobs), Charlotte is adding more jobs. 15 years from now, the recession will be a distant memory for the average job seeker. Job seekers in 2029 will simply look for the city that's more exciting and has the best job prospects.

As it stands now, Charlotte and the Triangle will most likely have plenty of job openings for the job seekers of tomorrow. As for which area is building the more exciting city.......

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-09-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Raleigh added 72,000 jobs after losing 33,000.
Charlotte added 100,900 After losing 72,000 jobs.

Charlotte has diversified our jobs since the financial crisis. That's a strong comeback for CLT. Especially considering our economy is heavily focused on Finacial industry.... And it was a financial recession.

New York better not get to comfy being countries largest city with Raleigh exploding :0 Raleigh's growing faster! ......

Charlotte gained 30,000 more jobs than Raleigh. You can't just say "well you just got the ones you lost". No, thats not all true

The Financial sector in Charlotte before the financial crisis employee 67,000 . At the end of 2013, Charlotte had only 61,000 people employed in the finance industry.

From the CBJ

"Is a day coming when Charlotte will no longer be Banktown?

It might already be here."

"This week, we’re publishing our list of the top employers in the region. And yes, both BofA and Wells are on the list. But when I talked to economists about what trend lines are telling us about the future, none of them mentioned banking as a future hot bed of activity in Charlotte. The numbers say health care, education and other professional white-collar occupations will drive the job growth here."

Are we entering a post-Banktown era in Charlotte? - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Raleigh added 72,000 jobs after losing 33,000.
Charlotte added 100,900 After losing 72,000 jobs.

Charlotte has diversified our jobs since the financial crisis. That's a strong comeback for CLT. Especially considering our economy is heavily focused on Finacial industry.... And it was a financial recession.

New York better not get to comfy being countries largest city with Raleigh exploding :0 Raleigh's growing faster! ......

Charlotte gained 30,000 more jobs than Raleigh. You can't just say "well you just got the ones you lost". No, thats not all true

The Financial sector in Charlotte before the financial crisis employee 67,000 . At the end of 2013, Charlotte had only 61,000 people employed in the finance industry.

From the CBJ

"Is a day coming when Charlotte will no longer be Banktown?

It might already be here."

"This week, we’re publishing our list of the top employers in the region. And yes, both BofA and Wells are on the list. But when I talked to economists about what trend lines are telling us about the future, none of them mentioned banking as a future hot bed of activity in Charlotte. The numbers say health care, education and other professional white-collar occupations will drive the job growth here."

Are we entering a post-Banktown era in Charlotte? - Charlotte Business Journal
Well you can twist,turn,flip or whatever makes you feel better. I didn't write the article. If you question the facts take it up with the Charlotte Bizjournal.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I consider myself to be a numbers nerd and from the looks of things, this is actually good news for Charlotte. Take a close look at the following quote from the link above...

"Charlotte lost 72,400 jobs in the recession. It has since added 100,900 jobs, for a recovery rate of 140%. Nice job, Queen City. But Raleigh. Oh, Raleigh. The state's capital lost 33,100 jobs in the recession. It has added 71,000 jobs since then. That's a 214% recovery rate. Wow."

Here's what caught my eye. Charlotte added 100,900 jobs while Raleigh added 71,000. If we were to expand this numerical trend out by 15 years, Charlotte would another 300,000 jobs while Raleigh adds 210,000. Though Raleigh has a higher rate of post-recession recovery (only because of a relatively small loss of jobs), Charlotte is adding more jobs. 15 years from now, the recession will be a distant memory for the average job seeker. Job seekers in 2029 will simply look for the city that's more exciting and has the best job prospects.

As it stands now, Charlotte and the Triangle will most likely have plenty of job openings for the job seekers of tomorrow. As for which area is building the more exciting city.......
Still cooking Urbancharlotte? Long story short. Both are doing very well post recession. Raleigh is just doing better. Also take into consideration these are Raleigh numbers only. Not numbers for the whole Triangle. Charlotte is the engine remember. I always say Charlotte has everything. That's means it has to carry the weight. Raleigh has Durham. Point being the Triangle as a whole is probably doing better than this article shows.

Exciting for who people who love art,live music,history,and culture. Also award winning restaurants and Chefs. I think we got that covered. But I almost forgot you have some nice little museums uptown. And some chain restaurants. Very exciting!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-09-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well you can twist,turn,flip or whatever makes you feel better. I didn't write the article. If you question the facts take it up with the Charlotte Bizjournal.

I am well aware, I read it every day. (which is how I remembered the article about post-bank town era Charlotte)

And I am not twisting Anything in the article. I can't help you don't understand what it's saying...

In your world, Raleigh's growth is kicking the tar out of NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami. In your world, Raleigh is growing 50% faster in your world. You don't understand Raleigh is smaller so as far as percents go, Raleigh will edge out over all larger cities for the fact it's smaller.

Charlotte added 30,000 more workers than Raleigh. In your world, that somehow translates to "lol, Raleigh's growing faster lol a list tolded me so" . A list - I might add - that you may not fully understand its content.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I am well aware, I read it every day. (which is how I remembered the article about post-bank town era Charlotte)

And I am not twisting Anything in the article. I can't help you don't understand what it's saying...

In your world, Raleigh's growth is kicking the tar out of NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami. In your world, Raleigh is growing 50% faster in your world. You don't understand Raleigh is smaller so as far as percents go, Raleigh will edge out over all larger cities for the fact it's smaller.

Charlotte added 30,000 more workers than Raleigh. In your world, that somehow translates to "lol, Raleigh's growing faster lol a list tolded me so" . A list - I might add - that you may not fully understand its content.
I understand just fine.This is not about Miami, New York or anywhere else. It's about Raleigh and Charlotte. Should I or anyone else go with your explanation or the Charlotte Biz-journal. Let me think for a sec. I'll go with the Biz-journal!!! No offense. Also the unemployment rate here is a 1.5 points better. Can you explain that away too? You can twist all you like. You can't win this one. The facts are just not in your favor. Sorry!
Maybe y'all should go back to public transit, or skyline shots. Maybe calling Raleigh Mayberry lol. Because this argument is not going your way. Sorry. I didn't title article Raleigh is Kicking Charlotte's but in job growth. The CHARLOTTE BIZ-JOURNAL DID!!!!

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-09-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I understand just fine.This is not about Miami, New York or anywhere else. It's about Raleigh and Charlotte. Should I or anyone else go with your explanation or the Charlotte Biz-journal. Let me think for a sec. I'll go with the Biz-journal!!! No offense. Also the unemployment rate here is a 1.5 points better. Can you explain that away too? You can twist all you like. You can't win this one. The facts are just not in your favor. Sorry!
Maybe y'all should go back to public transit, or skyline shots. Maybe calling Raleigh Mayberry lol. Because this argument is not going your way. Sorry. I didn't title article Raleigh is Kicking Charlotte's but in job growth. The CHARLOTTE BIZ-JOURNAL DID!!!!

The Business Journal is exactly correct. You just don't understand the business journal.

Edit: The unemployment is one thing I will give Raleigh. It's unemployment is better. There's reasons why it's better but it doesn't matter because it is what It is.

And hats off to the CBJ for the article to get even out of towners to get lock on the article and get people talking. Quote from that CBJ article

"It's a good thing there's not some weird rivalry between North Carolina's capital and its largest center of commerce — otherwise a blog post like this would just fan the flames."

Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Maybe y'all should go back to public transit, or skyline shots.
Fair enough...

Raleigh Transit Center

Raleigh Skyline

Charlotte Transit Center

Charlotte Skyline

I must comment on the two Charlotte pics. That Transit center pic will soon have streetcars running along Trade Street under the light rail bridge/Arena station. As for the skyline pic, two Skyhouse Apartment buildings will be seen easily from that particular angle within the next year or so. Both Skyhouses should fill in the gap between The Vue and 525 North Tryon nicely.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
It looks like everyone is not happy with all the money being spent on public transportation there. Notice one of the comments. The one that calls a Uptown fantasy land is especially funny. ....
It's much more complex than that article suggests. The rail lines have absolutely no effect on road funding from the NCDOT.

That streetcar is controversial because it is being built directly by the city outside the established county transportation plan. The county dropped the streetcar when transit studies required by the federal government determined that it was not cost effective. It IS NOT being funded by the 1/2 cent county transit tax and therefore taking money away from other projects. The irresponsible politicians who approved it, also do not have a funding plan for operations.

Meanwhile, however, construction continues on NC's only light rail system as the current line is extended from downtown up to UNC-Charlotte.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 09-10-2014 at 03:49 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
When new companies relocate to Charlotte the answer give most is because of the airport. Charlotte Douglas International Airport pot has 730 daily departures, 151 nonstop destinations, 8th nationwide in passengers, total in 2013 43,157,471.

The airport is under going a $1.5 billion upgrade.

New Hourly Parking Deck and Rental Car Facility

Airport Entrance Road

Roadway Dynamic Signage Package

Charlotte Regional Intermodal Facility at CLT

Checked Baggage In-Line System

Terminal Eastside Expansion: Food Court

Terminal Curbside Roadway Expansion

Taxiway D South Extension

Terminal Westside Expansion
Business Valet Deck II

Upcoming Construction Projects

TerminalRamp Expansion (West) I
Concourse A Annex
Concourse B
Concourse E

Future Proposed Projects

TerminalLobby Expansion
Fourth Parallel Runway
International Terminal

Projects done

Terminal Eastside Expansion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina