Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Unless we are talking about Tokyo, there is always some place that's bigger. There are suburbs in the Tokyo (Kanto) area that are bigger than Miami and even NYC seems quaint & slow in comparison. So I'm not sure that such comparisons mean that much.
When defining what is truly a big city and what is not I disagree. When people post foolish post about Charlotte being a big city. What a truly big city is has to be somewhat defined. To show that such comments are just plain foolish. There are truly big cities sensible people can agree what they are. I only used Miami as an example of what a truly big city is. I could have used Atlanta or many others. It was only to illustrate a point. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are medium size cities in medium size metros. And all the big city talk is silly. I think that comparison is valid. But we can disagree.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
In about 2 years Charlotte will pass Columbus, Ohio for 15 place as the largest city in the USA. Charlotte has the 23 largest metro in the USA. Big or little that what it is.
You get large cities and large metro mixed up. Charlotte has a larger population than Denver or Miami.
It Metro is not. Charlotte also has a larger population than Detroit, Atlanta, Milwaukee, St Louis, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis,
Washington DC, Baltimore, and more than I can list. What you are looking at is metro area, not city population

Last edited by CLT1985; 09-16-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
In about 2 years Charlotte will pass Columbus, Ohio for 15 place as the largest city in the USA. Charlotte has the 23 largest metro in the USA. Big or little that what it is.
And is about how much larger that the triangle metro? Maybe 400,000? Whatever happen down the road both will ALWAYS be in the same class. Sorry.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:54 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
The difference between metro Charlotte, Portland, and Denver is less than 400k. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 PM

I get out to Denver about one tine a year. Its downtown area look bigger than uptown Charlotte. They do not have a freeway circling downtown. They have bike and walking trails all over the Denver area. It is a nice area of the county. If I did not live in Charlotte, Denver would be ok with me.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The difference between metro Charlotte, Portland, and Denver is less than 400k. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

According to Atowwwn, Portland & Denver are podunks. as is Austin & Nashville & all the other podunks.

Metro Charlotte is bigger than metro Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, Sacramento, Cinncinati, Cleveland, Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Columbus, Louisville, Indianapolis, Austin, Nashville, Oklahoma City, Hartford, New Orleans, Memphis, Milwaukee and a few others.

Metro Raleigh is smaller than all those metro and a few others. All of those metro areas seperate Raleigh & Chalrotte.
But of course... Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Cleveland, Cinnci, Pittsburgh. We're all just podunks in the realm of Raleigh...

Metro Charlotte & Metro Pittsburgh are only seperated by 30,000. So Pittsburgh is Podunk to I suppose

Last edited by Charlotte485; 09-16-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 PM

I make sure if I post something I can back it up. I try to be fair and not make rude remarks I have lived in Charlotte for 29 years and I don,t need someone telling me I don't know what I am talking about.

When I post pictures, I let them prove or make a point, they can speak for themselves. I have been in 8 of the top 10 cities in the US, and in London UK and Nairobi, Kenya. So I know when I see a large city.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
I make sure if I post something I can back it up. I try to be fair and not make rude remarks I have lived in Charlotte for 29 years and I don,t need someone telling me I don't know what I am talking about.

When I post pictures, I let them prove or make a point, they can speak for themselves. I have been in 8 of the top 10 cities in the US, and in London UK and Nairobi, Kenya. So I know when I see a large city.
You don't have to defend your travel experience to anyone. Most of us have traveled, so that issue is moot (and an obvious diversion from the thread topic). Let's get back to Charlotte vs Raleigh. The following is a rather dated video of a Raleigh Wide Open festival that turned into a Charlotte-bashing fest. Observe...

Sir Walter Raleigh with Queen at Raleigh Wide Open - YouTube

Quote from the video "Because Raleigh doesn't pretend that it's Atlanta" (as if cities have emotions like people LOL). Yeah, some folks in NC's capital city have got serious Charlotte-envy; that's for sure!!! And from the looks of things (ie the little girl at the end) they start them young!!!! Sad.....

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-16-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Just for the record. My comments about traveling were not directed at you. But to urbancharlotte and 485. Also no one is trying to change topic. Urbancharlotte. No need. Both metros offer most of the same things. In a different package granted. It all depends on preference. Clt1985 if my comments offended you. I apologize. You don't take cheap shots like you know who. And just make up nonsense.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Lynx video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJxlNnEnhw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina