Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

Advertisements

Raleigh-Durham Airport
I was there last year, pretty airport.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM

You can see uptown Charlotte from Mount Mitchell on a clear day

Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Maybe you wouldn't but ok. As far as skiing. It's about the same as someone coming to Charlotte for a NASCAR race. Not technically in Charlotte. But called Charlotte motor speedway. Denver and the rest of Colorado are know for??????? Besides WEED lol. You guessed it skiing. Maybe not exactly in Denver but surely in the Dever metro.

By the way I never said it was a top international tourist destination.

Ski Resorts Near Denver, Colorado | USA Today
The point is, none of this makes Denver world famous. Nobody from Lima, Osaka, or Cape Town is hopping a plane for Colorado just to ski. Again, the numbers simply aren't there to support your assertion. Denver is basically a more developed and more isolated version of Charlotte in the plains near the Rockies.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Maybe you wouldn't but ok. As far as skiing. It's about the same as someone coming to Charlotte for a NASCAR race. Not technically in Charlotte. But called Charlotte motor speedway. Denver and the rest of Colorado are know for??????? Besides WEED lol. You guessed it skiing. Maybe not exactly in Denver but surely in the Dever metro.

By the way I never said it was a top international tourist destination.

Ski Resorts Near Denver, Colorado | USA Today
Most of the big Ski Resorts are 80 to 200 miles away from Denver. Take Interstate 70 west out of Denver. You take off from Idaho Springs to go to Mount Evans at 14,300 feet. It is cold up there even in the summer.
Goats near the top of Mount Evans.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:34 PM

When Charlotte goes over one million people, would that be a big city?
If so, Charlotte is about 200,000 from one million now. At the rate Charlotte is growing it will take About 8 years

Old 09-17-2014, 05:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's a huge difference.,

If you like to go day snow skiing, or to take a summer day trip to enjoy the cool weather at the higher elevations, that 2 hours difference (i.e. 4 extra hours RT) means you most likely can't do it.
I should know better than to post on this thread but y'all are entertaining. In the interest of accuracy and truth, everybody who skis in NC knows that best ski resorts in the state are near Boone, not Asheville. Boone, like Asheville, is also about 2 hrs from Charlotte but is about 3 hrs from Raleigh making it a more doable day trip. Cooler, too, since it's at a significantly higher elevation compared to Asheville.

And, of course the beach is 1.5-2 hrs from Raleigh so super easy day trip.

As far as "big city" I guess that's mostly in the eye of the beholder. If you're coming from Podunk. NC they're both big, but if you're coming from NYC, LA. Etc, not so much.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:51 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I should know better than to post on this thread but y'all are entertaining. In the interest of accuracy and truth, everybody who skis in NC knows that best ski resorts in the state are near Boone, not Asheville
If you are going to make fun of us, then you should at least check your facts. The ski mountain that I posted that is 90 minutes from CLT is between Blowing Rock & Boone. It's no where close to Asheville. I've done all my day skiiing, for that matter in the Boone, Banner Elk area. I've never skiied around Asheville. It's too far away.

Sounds like you don't know much about this area.

Now I'm entertained. LOL

Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Wasn't making fun of you. I really do read this thread to be entertained.

There was an assertion made, though, that you responded, too, that getting to a ski resort was going to take 2 hrs more from Raleigh. That's not true. It's just under 2 hrs to Appalachian from Charlotte going via 321. (My MIL lives in Charlotte and has a house in Boone, so we're quite familiar with the various routes both from Charlotte and from the Triangle). Google maps gives 1 hr 53 minutes. It's a little more than 2 hrs going any other route. Appalachian is about 3 hrs from Raleigh's city center (3 hrs 17 min). If we want to go off google's numbers then it's 1 hr 24 mins longer from Raleigh.

(Beech Mt is better, though. And Raleigh is still way closer to the ocean beach.)

I believe my in-laws have lived in Charlotte since about 1957 or 58 (before my spouse was born), so we know the city pretty well.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Wasn't making fun of you. I really do read this thread to be entertained.

There was an assertion made, though, that you responded, too, that getting to a ski resort was going to take 2 hrs more from Raleigh. That's not true. It's just under 2 hrs to Appalachian from Charlotte going via 321. (My MIL lives in Charlotte and has a house in Boone, so we're quite familiar with the various routes both from Charlotte and from the Triangle). Google maps gives 1 hr 53 minutes. It's a little more than 2 hrs going any other route. Appalachian is about 3 hrs from Raleigh's city center (3 hrs 17 min). If we want to go off google's numbers then it's 1 hr 24 mins longer from Raleigh.

(Beech Mt is better, though. And Raleigh is still way closer to the ocean beach.)

I believe my in-laws have lived in Charlotte since about 1957 or 58 (before my spouse was born), so we know the city pretty well.
It's roughly 3 1/2 hours from Raleigh to the nearest mountain resort (Boone area) and roughly 3 1/2 hours from Charlotte to the nearest beach (Sunset Beach or Myrtle Beach). It is closer to the beach (w/more options) from Raleigh. It is closer to the mountains (w/more options) from Charlotte...and your point is? It is a complete wash (or zero sum game) with regards to the travel time.

I have lived in both metros as well and those are the facts unless your car (or in-laws car) can defy the laws of physics which have been the same since the late '50s.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 09-18-2014 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:

I believe my in-laws have lived in Charlotte since about 1957 or 58 (
before my spouse was born), so we know the city pretty well.
City? I said area. You first thought I was talking about Asheville so I'm not sure that I really believe your claim. BTW, the best ski resorts in the NC mountains are in Banner Elk, not Boone. You don't seem to have any first hand knowledge. Nobody is going to make a day trip to go skiing from Raleigh as they can from Charlotte which was my point. Your own, physics thrown out, numbers prove this.

In contrast, I can leave CLT after work, be in Appalachian for evening skiing, and home at a very reasonable time for bed on a work night. Good food there too for dinner while you wait for them to re-open for the evening. Done it many times. No way you are doing this from Raleigh.

And Raleigh is still way closer to the ocean beach.

I can be in Charleston in < 3 hours from Charlotte and there are plenty of beaches there. Certainly far far faster than you are going to get to Banner Elk from Raleigh.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 09-18-2014 at 02:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina