Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:01 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Give it up, both Charlotte and Raleigh are relatively safe. I have no idea what that gibberish above means and neither do you in attempts to make an asinine point. People in Raleigh/Cary are afraid of Durham...they don't go to Durham, don't shop in Durham, will not send their kids to school in Durham. Durham might as well be Baghdad...you were afraid to add it to your nonsensical numbers. I adore Durham, it's probably my favorite city in NC.

If you are afraid of silly ole little Charlotte with less crime that many of its peer cities (Raleigh is not a peer city)...no wonder folks in Raleigh/Cary are afraid of Durham. Anyone that thinks Charlotte is crime ridden is obviously not accustomed to or familiar with "urban" environments....much like the mislabeling and mischaracterization of Durham...stop hiding behind Raleigh/Cary as if Durham isn't part of the Triangle....Crickets...
I go to Durham all the time! As any of the regular posters to this thread would know. As a matter of fact I go DT Durham more than DT Raleigh. At least lately. As I stated even if you add in Durham the numbers wouldn't add up in your favor. I used Wake and Meck because the has almost identical populations. I didn't make up the numbers they are the facts. If you don't like them that's your problem! And the facts are for Wake and Meck. Both counties of about a million people. Crime is DOUBLE!!!!!!! Even is I add in Durham it wouldn't close the gap. But that would add another 225,000 or so the triangle side. If you have total metro numbers please present them. If not I stand by this report. The fact is crime is MUCH BETTER here PERIOD!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Try this link for Raleigh city:
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Try this link for Charlotte city:

In 2012: note the dramatic decline in Charlotte...per 100,000 population. The first order of business in making simple statistical comparisons is to use ratios based on means or averages since Charlotte city's population is 2x the size of Raleigh...refer to the graphs and not the outdated bar charts..in 2011 little ole Raleigh is above average for crime rate per 100,000 so is Charlotte...Raleigh ain't much safer than Charlotte.
THIS IS BULL. I'll take my info from the N.C. DOJ before city data. Second those numbers don't really help your case. Even with a Raleigh Charlotte straight up comparison. Charlotte still looses badly. Add in pineville and it's even worse. But a straight up total county comparison is fair. You can twist turn stand on your head but the numbers don't change. Sorry. This is a loss period. Next subject please!

Old chart. My info and yours are from 2012. If you have newer info please present it!

According to your info Raleigh violent crime 235.7... Charlotte's 353 is that better. Next subject please!!!!!!!

You can't do a cleaner comparison 1 million to 1 million. Using official N.C. DOJ latest numbers.

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-21-2014 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 10:27 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:

Try this link for Charlotte city:

In 2012: note the dramatic decline in Charlotte...per 100,000 population. The first order of business in making simple statistical comparisons is to use ratios based on means or averages since Charlotte city's population is 2x the size of Raleigh...refer to the graphs and not the outdated bar charts.
I know that CMPD likes to take credit for the rapid decline of crime in older Charlotte neighborhoods. IMO, urban pioneers and gentrification should get most of the credit. Many of Charlotte's worst housing projects have been torn down and rebuilt. Often times the rebuilt-version has many units available for both the general public and folks who need affordable housing. Charlotte Housing Authority's "Piedmont Courts" transition into "Seigle Point" is one example that comes to mind.

Piedmont Courts
http://www.angelfire.com/nv2/charlotte/piedmont3.jpg

http://www.cmhpf.org/Pictures/Piedmont1206.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3409/3...1a2_z.jpg?zz=1

^^^Located just beyond the I-277 loop around uptown, Piedmont Courts was EASILY one of Charlotte's most crime ridden neighborhoods. Today, the neighborhood you see in the links above is now called Seigle Point.

Seigle Point
http://www.cha-nc.org/documents/Seig...%20-%20web.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2469/...32530380_z.jpg

Unlike Piedmont Courts, Seigle Point has both low income and median income people all within the same neighborhood. This housing method has been a proven weapon against crime. It's not a good idea to isolate the lower income (and often times lesser educated) residents of a city. Living around people who value self discipline and personal responsibility encourages others to do the same. I've witnessed this change in Seigle Point with my own eyes. I'll admit that Seigle Point is still far from perfect, but it's head and shoulders above what it used to be in the days of Piedmont Courts.

This type of gentrification and urban revitalization has taken place in many of Charlotte's troubled neighborhoods (and it continues to take place). This is why the Charlotte of today (a city with nearly 800,000 residents) have fewer murders than 1994 Charlotte (a city with roughly 425,000 people).

I'm personally not concerned about Raleigh's crime stats because Raleigh and Charlotte have two totally different histories. Durham was historically the largest city in the Triangle; therefore Durham's history is more similar to Charlotte's when it comes to urban growth and urban residents. The same can be said about Winston-Salem. When it comes to those older more urbanized NC Piedmont cities, Charlotte is doing very well (and much better than the Charlotte of 20 years ago). Still though, Charlotte grew by a large margin in the 1990s despite having much higher crime rates than now.

I've yet to see stats that prove higher crime or lower crime equates to higher/lower growth. In Charlotte's case, the crime rate (whether high or low) has not affected growth rates. Or at least, I haven't seem any numbers that suggest crime has affected growth. Just the fact that Meck's numerical growth and growth percentage was higher than Wake's in 2013 completely debunks the myth that folks are changing their relocation plans due to crime stats.

I've relocated myself several times, and not once did I even bother looking at a crime stat. I'm not concerned about the crime in a particular city. I'm more concerned about the crime of the immediate area that I'm working in or living in. A person who works uptown and lives uptown for example works and lives in one of Charlotte's safest zip codes. Imagine that, Charlotte's most urban zip is also one of the city's safest!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-21-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 11:13 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I know that CMPD likes to take credit for the rapid decline of crime in older Charlotte neighborhoods. IMO, urban pioneers and gentrification should get most of the credit. Many of Charlotte's worst housing projects have been torn down and rebuilt. Often times the rebuilt-version has many units available for both the general public and folks who need affordable housing. Charlotte Housing Authority's "Piedmont Courts" transition into "Seigle Point" is one example that comes to mind.

Piedmont Courts

^^^Located just beyond the I-277 loop around uptown, Piedmont Courts was EASILY one of Charlotte's most crime ridden neighborhoods. Today, the neighborhood you see in the links above is now called Seigle Point.

Seigle Point

Unlike Piedmont Courts, Seigle Point has both low income and median income people all within the same neighborhood. This housing method has been a proven weapon against crime. It's not a good idea to isolate the lower income (and often times lesser educated) residents of a city. Living around people who value self discipline and personal responsibility encourages others to do the same. I've witnessed this change in Seigle Point with my own eyes. I'll admit that Seigle Point is still far from perfect, but it's head and shoulders above what it used to be in the days of Piedmont Courts.

This type of gentrification and urban revitalization has taken place in many of Charlotte's troubled neighborhoods (and it continues to take place). This is why the Charlotte of today (a city with nearly 800,000 residents) have fewer murders than 1994 Charlotte (a city with roughly 425,000 people).

I'm personally not concerned about Raleigh's crime stats because Raleigh and Charlotte have two totally different histories. Durham was historically the largest city in the Triangle; therefore Durham's history is more similar to Charlotte's when it comes to urban growth and urban residents. The same can be said about Winston-Salem. When it comes to those older more urbanized NC Piedmont cities, Charlotte is doing very well (and much better than the Charlotte of 20 years ago). Still though, Charlotte grew by a large margin in the 1990s despite having much higher crime rates than now.

I've yet to see stats that prove higher crime or lower crime equates to higher/lower growth. In Charlotte's case, the crime rate (whether high or low) has not affected growth rates. Or at least, I haven't seem any numbers that suggest crime has affected growth. Just the fact that Meck's numerical growth and growth percentage was higher than Wake's in 2013 completely debunks the myth that folks are changing their relocation plans due to crime stats.

I've relocated myself several times, and not once did I even bother looking at a crime stat. I'm not concerned about the crime in a particular city. I'm more concerned about the crime of the immediate area that I'm working in or living in. A person who works uptown and lives uptown for example works and lives in one of Charlotte's safest zip codes. Imagine that, Charlotte's most urban zip is also one of the city's safest!!!
I wish something like this would happen to Grier Heights. It amazes me that one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Charlotte is located in between Myers Park, Eastover, Cotswold, and Elizabeth.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Piedmont Courts

Seigle Point

Don't see what Durham being larger than Raleigh 50/60 years ago has to do with anything but ok. I think Charlotte's crime issue is on the right track. But there is still work to be done. Obviously. By the way never said Charlotte's crime was terrible. Just not as good as Raleigh's. Even if you add in Durham.

Why is it when you say crime the next word is usually Durham. As if Durham will always tip the crime scales in Charlotte's favor?

You can't win them all.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:00 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:

In 2012: note the dramatic decline in Charlotte...per 100,000 population..
Let's be clear here. It's violent crime that is concerning to people. That is dramatically higher in Charlotte than in Raleigh. The charts you linked are not limited to violent crime but show that it is, in fact rising if you know what to look for.

The FBI Uniform Crime Reporting definition for Violent Crime is murder & nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Your charts show that violet crime in Charlotte is dramatically higher than in Raleigh. What's worse, it's also rising. I don't think people care that much if an employee steels a few $s from a Pizza Hut till. They are very worried about getting shot, robbed, raped or beaten up. There are large neighborhoods in Charlotte that I once lived in, that I wouldn't go into even in the daytime now because I don't consider it safe anymore.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 09-22-2014 at 04:13 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Let's be clear here. It's violent crime that is concerning to people. That is dramatically higher in Charlotte than in Raleigh. The charts you linked are not limited to violent crime but show that it is, in fact rising if you know what to look for.

The FBI Uniform Crime Reporting definition for Violent Crime is murder & nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Your charts show that violet crime in Charlotte is dramatically higher than in Raleigh. What's worse, it's also rising. I don't think people care that much if an employee steels a few $s from a Pizza Hut till. They are very worried about getting shot, robbed, raped or beaten up. There are large neighborhoods in Charlotte that I once lived in, that I wouldn't go into even in the daytime now because I don't consider it safe anymore.

There are streets I also would never ever walk down (North Tryon the worst offender to me). But if you stay out of the more dangerous areas, you're fine. I don't find it too concerning to my safety that down on Freedom there are violent crimes. Mostly because I'm not there; I'm on Fairview, Queens, Park Rd, etc.

Whenever I am in another city, I make sure to stay and look at what places to avoid

Id like those areas to be improved. I'd like all places to be crime free. I always assumed the more shady areas came with the territory of being a bigger city.

Though Raleigh, I probably wouldn't look up the dangerous areas. I never thought of Raleigh as being dangerous or feeling the need to look up where to avoid though I imagine there are.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
There are streets I also would never ever walk down (North Tryon the worst offender to me). But if you stay out of the more dangerous areas, you're fine. I don't find it too concerning to my safety that down on Freedom there are violent crimes. Mostly because I'm not there; I'm on Fairview, Queens, Park Rd, etc.
Who wants a city were there are a few crime free enclaves surrounded by lots of crime?

I remember when North Tryon was perfectly safe. My first apartment was near the intersection of N. Tryon & Craighead. I remember when Freedom drive was a nice middle class area. My first job was across from the Freedom Village shopping center. I never feared for crime in either area.

Now both are crime ridden areas and much of the employment, shopping, entertainment, etc that used to be in both places is gone. Real estate values have dropped. It's exactly the wrong direction that you want to see a city heading.

This should be a concern for people. Even for those who limit themselves to just Fairview, Queens, Park Rd, etc.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:49 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I go to Durham all the time! As any of the regular posters to this thread would know. As a matter of fact I go DT Durham more than DT Raleigh. At least lately. As I stated even if you add in Durham the numbers wouldn't add up in your favor. I used Wake and Meck because the has almost identical populations. I didn't make up the numbers they are the facts. If you don't like them that's your problem! And the facts are for Wake and Meck. Both counties of about a million people. Crime is DOUBLE!!!!!!! Even is I add in Durham it wouldn't close the gap. But that would add another 225,000 or so the triangle side. If you have total metro numbers please present them. If not I stand by this report. The fact is crime is MUCH BETTER here PERIOD!
Fact is urban areas/cities tend to have more crime...period. DC, Baltimore, Richmond, Memphis, etc are cities. Wake County and Meck county cant be compared because Wake geographical footprint is much larger than Meck County...and Wake on whole is much more suburban and rural.

Wake county is 857 square miles and Meck County is 31.2 square miles. If you used the same county sq mileage around Charlotte to include all the rural areas (like Wake) then it would be apples to apples.

You seem incapable of interpreting data comparisons, it's ok though because it's helps your baseless and invalid argument. Crime is higher in Charlotte but on par and less than it's peer cities and is considered to be relatively safe for an urban area.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Fact is urban areas/cities tend to have more crime...period. DC, Baltimore, Richmond, Memphis, etc are cities. Wake County and Meck county cant be compared because Wake geographical footprint is much larger than Meck County...and Wake on whole is much more suburban and rural.

Wake county is 857 square miles and Meck County is 31.2 square miles. If you used the same county sq mileage around Charlotte to include all the rural areas (like Wake) then it would be apples to apples.

You seem incapable of interpreting data comparisons, it's ok though because it's helps your baseless and invalid argument. Crime is higher in Charlotte but on par and less than it's peer cities and is considered to be relatively safe for an urban area.
You seem incapable of accepting the truth. Whatever the reason is(excuse)! The trend is clear. If you don't wish to accept the facts. Well that's up to you. Rural Urban whatever. Both counties 1 million residents. One is measurably safer than the other. Period. No matter the make up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina