Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times

Advertisements

You can give the State of North Caroline for credit for some of the crime. The state has not supply our court system with enough people, so many commit more crimes while waiting for a trial. The state has cut in what they will pay court reports form $2.50 a page to $1.25 a page. Court reports are leaving the court system. You need a court report for a trial.

I no not care how many people the police arrest, if they can not get a court date due over load of out court system, things are not going to get better.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Please provide me with any information, etc, that has any evidence of people so afraid of big bad Charlotte that they opted for Raleigh. People chose to live in Raleigh over Charlotte for a variety of reasons but crime rates doesn't register on the radar.....argue it to death if you must.

Charlotte is as safe as any city in NC with an overabundance of stale, sterile subdivisions...trying to keep up with Raleigh which is the leader of the pack in sprawl is a tough effort - but Charlotte does quite well (and all sunbelt cities). So, insert any random meaningless numbers into the discussion because other than Charlotte being more urban and 2x the size of Raleigh, nobody cares. Charlotte's crime rate is less than or in-line with it's peer city of similar demographics and composition. Again....Raleigh city isn't a peer city so expecting it to be similar to Charlotte is a joke.
No one said people were not moving to Charlotte because of crime. I would imagine more people don't move there due to crime. Than move there because of Carowinds or the White Water center. But those seem to keep coming up. This thread is about who is better. Raleigh is CLEARLY better in the area of crime. Raleigh,Wake Co.,and the Triangle are better no matter how you slice it. Wake Co. Is a peer to Meck. The Triangle is a peer to Metrolina. But just not when it cones to crime. I even added Durham to Wake and Meck. was still about a third higher. You have nothing to back up you argument. The stats you linked backed up my point. Give it up man. It's over. This is N.C. we expect our crime rates low. That's why people move here. To escape the crap in the NE mostly. Accept it Charlotte loses this round. When it comes to a safe city with low crime. Charlotte's not on Raleigh's level. Not even close.

Remember I added Durham and Raleigh numbers. So I think you urban vs rural line just died. It's not even close lol. Next subject please. Please Urbanchatlotte post some train pics. Or something. This is getting old lol...

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-23-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 02:13 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
30% drop in 10 years with a 6% uptick in 1 year......
Quote:
... Again....Raleigh city isn't a peer city so expecting it to be similar to Charlotte is a joke.
The data you requested from me, proves that I was right. Violent crime is a serious issue in Charlotte and worse than in Raleigh. The rest.... sour grapes.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 09-24-2014 at 02:28 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 07:55 AM

I think Greensboro is more of a peer to Charlotte than Raleigh is. At least according to city data.
Charlotte 386.7
Greensboro 380.3
Raleigh 291.3

The troubling part is Charlotte's number is worse than Greensboro's. And everyone knows Greensboro has a rep for having a crime problem. Either way Charlotte's not on Raleigh's level.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 AM

The US war on drugs has done more to in crease crime all over the US.

I never used any drugs other than what a doctor gave me. I do not smoke or drink alcohol, because I never like them. I am not going to use drugs, legal or illegal.

The war on drugs is a big failure. we could cut crime all over the US, if we would follow some counties in Europe. By making drugs legal and tax them, and treat drug addition as sickness. We would not have our prisons fill with people who had a small amount of drugs on them

In June 2011, a self-appointed Global Commission on Drug Policy released a critical report on the War on Drugs, declaring: "The global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world. Fifty years after the initiation of the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, and years after President Nixon launched the US government's war on drugs, fundamental reforms in national and global drug control policies are urgently needed." The report was criticized by organizations that oppose a general legalization of drugs.

Costs to taxpayers

According to a 2008 study published by Harvard economist Jeffrey A. Miron, the annual savings on enforcement and incarceration costs from the legalization of drugs would amount to roughly $41.3 billion, with $25.7 billion being saved among the states and over $15.6 billion accrued for the federal government. Miron further estimated at least $46.7 billion in tax revenue based on rates comparable to those on tobacco andalcohol ($8.7 billion from marijuana, $32.6 billion from cocaine and heroin, remainder from other drugs).

You would see a reduction of crime in Charlotte & Raleigh if the study published by Harvard economist Jeffrey A. Miron would be follower by our government.

Look up The War on Drugs and see the dirty dealing our government has been dealing in drugs (CIA). See what has happen in Mexico.

Last edited by CLT1985; 09-24-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 11:03 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I think Greensboro is more of a peer to Charlotte than Raleigh is. At least according to city data.
Charlotte 386.7
Greensboro 380.3
Raleigh 291.3

The troubling part is Charlotte's number is worse than Greensboro's. And everyone knows Greensboro has a rep for having a crime problem. Either way Charlotte's not on Raleigh's level.

The one time you can say that (Charlotte is not on Raleigh's level)

Then again, aren't most bigger cities? How does Chicago or Philadelphia compare to Raleigh? Are they also not on Raleighs level?

Is Mayberry also way above Charlottes level also? Such a shame.

Never seen anyone try to paint a picture of Charlotte being a scary city. In fact, I only hear opposites of people from even bigger cities almost brag that they have more crime. "oh this is nothing, back in so & so...." (and I have no idea why anyone would brag about more crime other than to be loud & obnoxious that they're from so & so city, and it's do crowded, always too much going on, long lines, oh and they're from so & so)

4th of July on Charlottes light rail, after the 2nd stop, the train was full. Completely packed, every centimeter. One woman said "oh, it's even 4x more crowded than this everyday on the metro in DC".... After the 4th stop, no one else could board the train because doors couldnt close... Now... Unless everyone lies down with 6 or so people laying on top of eachother... No way any train could hold more people. And I've been on metro in DC, my trains were never packed where we had to stand.

I've even heard people from bigger cities think our new focus of trying to get more hobos out of uptown (in housing, shelters etc) Is crazy because thats part of being a bigger city and that Charlotte needs to get over being so sterile.

Never once heard anything about being perceived as dangerous....

I'm not saying Raleigh isn't "safer," I'm Just saying both are pretty darn safe That, I mean, I never felt unsafe in either city in the areas I stay in

Old 09-24-2014, 11:09 AM

CPCC receives $32M in-kind donation from Siemens for advanced-manufacturing training

Central Piedmont Community College receives $32M in-kind donation from Siemens for advanced-manufacturing training - Charlotte Business Journal

Charlotte Job Growth Continues to Outpace the Nation (Charlotte Chamber of Commerce)
Published Thursday, July 17, 2014

Charlotte has a reason to smile this quarter because its economy continues to be recognized as one of America’s best places to conduct business. With various business rankings conducted annually, few are as thorough as Thumbtack.com’s recent survey of more than 12,000 entrepreneurs nationwide. After a two-month survey of small business owners, Charlotte proudly emerged as one of the top cities to conduct business.

With a healthy business environment, it makes sense that the unemployment rate for Charlotte continues to trend downward. The latest unemployment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports Charlotte having an unemployment rate of 5.9 percent - a drop by 1.4 percentage points from this time last year.

That puts Charlotte’s unemployment rate below Mecklenburg County’s (6.7 percent), North Carolina’s (6.4 percent) and the national average (6.1 percent). Ripe for businesses growth, it’s no wonder that small, large, entrepreneurial and international businesses are trying to utilize Charlotte’s competitive advantage.

Charlotte’s job growth continues to outpace the state and nation. The region has more than recovered its recession losses. Over the past year, the strongest gains have been in professional and business services and logistics – both serving as key drivers of growth. Professional and business services firms added more than 9,000 jobs in the past year while the logistics sector added over 2,000 new jobs. The gains reflect growth in engineering and consulting firms, which are fueled by Charlotte’s large financial services and energy power sectors. However, there are certain aspects of the economy that have not fully recovered – public administration has lost 800 jobs while manufacturing is marginally behind national growth levels during this period.

Notable economic development announcements this quarter include Team Créatif, a French marketing and design firm that will lease 3,000 square feet and hire 40 employees over the next three years in uptown Charlotte. Additionally YG-1 USA, a South Korean manufacturing firm, will invest $13.8 million dollars and add 53 employees with the opening of its technical and manufacturing center in Charlotte. Deciding to relocate its operations and engineering center, the Oregon-based energy company NuScale Power will relocate to Charlotte. Finally, HireRight, Inc. just completed the expansion and remodel of its Charlotte office, which will accommodate up to 80 new hires.

Not all new business in Charlotte is banking.

NC Commerce Secretary Calls for Direct Flights to Asia

]http://charlottechamber.com/news/2014/09/23/chamber-news/nc-commerce-secretary-calls-for-direct-flights-to-asia

Last edited by CLT1985; 09-24-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The one time you can say that (Charlotte is not on Raleigh's level)

Then again, aren't most bigger cities? How does Chicago or Philadelphia compare to Raleigh? Are they also not on Raleighs level?

Is Mayberry also way above Charlottes level also? Such a shame.

Never seen anyone try to paint a picture of Charlotte being a scary city. In fact, I only hear opposites of people from even bigger cities almost brag that they have more crime. "oh this is nothing, back in so & so...." (and I have no idea why anyone would brag about more crime other than to be loud & obnoxious that they're from so & so city, and it's do crowded, always too much going on, long lines, oh and they're from so & so)

4th of July on Charlottes light rail, after the 2nd stop, the train was full. Completely packed, every centimeter. One woman said "oh, it's even 4x more crowded than this everyday on the metro in DC".... After the 4th stop, no one else could board the train because doors couldnt close... Now... Unless everyone lies down with 6 or so people laying on top of eachother... No way any train could hold more people. And I've been on metro in DC, my trains were never packed where we had to stand.

I've even heard people from bigger cities think our new focus of trying to get more hobos out of uptown (in housing, shelters etc) Is crazy because thats part of being a bigger city and that Charlotte needs to get over being so sterile.

Never once heard anything about being perceived as dangerous....

I'm not saying Raleigh isn't "safer," I'm Just saying both are pretty darn safe That, I mean, I never felt unsafe in either city in the areas I stay in
Not dangerous just not on Raleigh's level lol.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 AM

For all you race car fans
Motorsports 2.0

Motorsports 2.0 highlights the future of the multi-billion dollar motorsports industry in North Carolina and its impact on the Charlotte region. Join the CBJ for an exclusive opportunity to hear from top racers and executives who are making their mark on the industry and hear from Mike Helton and Marcus Smith in a special conversation with NBC Sports', Rick Allen. If your business involves motorsports, you won’t want to miss this!
  • When: Tuesday, October 7, 2014, 10:00am-1:15pm Add to my calendar
  • Where: The Ritz-Carlton Charlotte 201 E. Trade Street Charlotte NC 28202

Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
ClearSkyImages, the best ever, has some great photos of the NC cities.

Here are some flattering ones of Raleigh & Charlotte

Charlotte

Raleigh

Both look mighty fine in these pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina