Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think you deserve a rep point.
As for the Triangle, the inclusion of Fayetteville is an interesting topic. Already, Fayetteville is part of the TV market. All affiliates in the Triangle cover Fayetteville as a matter of course. Years ago, I worked with a guy in Raleigh who commuted from Fayetteville daily. Even on the Triangle forum, there are regular postings asking where to live between Raleigh and Fayetteville to accommodate commutes to both cities by dual income couples. Southern Wake County has been growing rapidly and is reducing the gap between the two cities. The development of Johnston County has exploded as well. People from Fayetteville come to Raleigh all the time for shopping and entertainment. I could go on and on. That all said though, I don't yet feel like Fayetteville is part of the Triangle. But, with the expansion of development to Raleigh's south, it's probably just a matter of time. A likely scenario is that Fayetteville eventually becomes a part of the CSA after the Census Bureau re-unites the Raleigh and Durham MSA's and rethinks the entire Triangle statistic strategy. The widening of US-1 south from Raleigh toward the Sandhills has already pushed development in places like Sanford.
That is exactly what I was talking about. I was looking at the TV markets for Charlotte and Raleigh. DMA, as I'm sure you know, refers to designated media market. I can see Raleigh-Durham and Fayetteville forming a CSA. I'm not sure about this census but maybe the next one. And in that same vein I see the Hickory (Unifour) MSA becoming apart of the Charlotte CSA probably around the same time.

I definitely hope that the US census rethinks its Triangle strategy because the current one is flawed all to pieces. I find it hard to accept the Triad separation but I can see the reasoning. But separating Raleigh and Durham to me makes absolutely no sense. The main econmic engine lies in Wake and Durham counties, and both cities overlap into each other's counties. What is it possibly that is lacking to make them a MSA?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post

I definitely hope that the US census rethinks its Triangle strategy because the current one is flawed all to pieces. I find it hard to accept the Triad separation but I can see the reasoning. But separating Raleigh and Durham to me makes absolutely no sense. The main econmic engine lies in Wake and Durham counties, and both cities overlap into each other's counties. What is it possibly that is lacking to make them a MSA?
....preaching to the choir on that topic!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
I definitely hope that the US census rethinks its Triangle strategy because the current one is flawed all to pieces.
MSAs are defined by the Office of Management and Budget not the Census Bureau.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
MSAs are defined by the Office of Management and Budget not the Census Bureau.
Well then they're flawed.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well then they're flawed.
Why? If the definitions OMB creates for its own uses meet its purposes, where is the flaw? That it isn't the measure others would want for their particular uses doesn't make it flawed.
Quote:
OMB establishes and maintains these areas solely for statistical purposes. In reviewing and revising these areas, OMB does not take into account or attempt to anticipate any public or private sector nonstatistical uses that may be made of the delineations. These areas are not designed to serve as a general-purpose geographical framework applicable for nonstatistical activities.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Why? If the definitions OMB creates for its own uses meet its purposes, where is the flaw? That it isn't the measure others would want for their particular uses doesn't make it flawed.
Dude, Raleigh extends into Durham county, Durham extends into Wake county. RTP is in Durham and Wake County and is one of the main economic engines of the region. I live in Charlotte and enjoy Charlotte more than RDU, where is my personal gain in this? If it's not flawed, how much sense is it to separate Raleigh and Durham, which extend into the same county and share the same economic engine?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Dude, Raleigh extends into Durham county, Durham extends into Wake county. RTP is in Durham and Wake County and is one of the main economic engines of the region. I live in Charlotte and enjoy Charlotte more than RDU, where is my personal gain in this? If it's not flawed, how much sense is it to separate Raleigh and Durham, which extend into the same county and share the same economic engine?
That doesn't show that the statistical measure OMB has developed for its own purposes doesn't meet the purposes for which it was created (i.e., that it is flawed) - only that it doesn't meet your "needs." There are lots of ways to measure and depict an area. MSAs are but one of them (albeit limited).

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
That doesn't show that the statistical measure OMB has developed for its own purposes doesn't meet the purposes for which it was created (i.e., that it is flawed) - only that it doesn't meet your "needs." There are lots of ways to measure and depict an area. MSAs are but one of them (albeit limited).
Ok guy. Whatever you say.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Ok guy. Whatever you say.
Durham is definitely the Raleigh area and vice-versa.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Durham is definitely the Raleigh area and vice-versa.
That's exactly what I've been trying to say, but it seems some folks aren't understanding what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina