Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:15 PM

363 posts, read 445,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Nope just burns him on the inside when Charlotte does something or get a shiny new building to the skyline lol or the urban development that's going on a massive level.
Raleigh has plenty of good things going on, but so does charlotte. To boost raleigh when out of that includes an Alehouse, a bunch of renovations, and run of the mill cookie cutter apartments, and then to dismiss a 33 story tower with ground level retail.. when Raleigh's tallest building is 33 stories.. seems a bit ridiculous.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:26 PM

363 posts, read 445,092 times
Do Business Here :: Developments :: Downtown Raleigh

After clicking through this list.. outside of the Skyhouse, Union Station, Charter Square, the L, and The Edison building.. I cant say that these projects are very impressive. The rest seem like your run of the mill apartments that seem to be a dime a dozen...

Seriously.. if any of you haven't, click through the links. Why are two skyscrapers, a new park, and light rail/streetcar extension being laughed at when this is your list. I dont even know the other projects going on as I don't keep up to date on it, but I see more construction out of my window. I seriously drive past probably 6 apartment construction sites in Uptown that look identical to the ones posted here. And that's just the ones i visibly see.

The most impressive ones are the ones that have been completed (Citrix, Red Hat, Amphitheater).

Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Greystar purchases uptown Charlotte site, plans to start 33-story apartment tower next year - Charlotte Business Journal

Wigfield says the firm hopes to break ground on the as-yet-unnamed development in late January or early February.

Another groundbreaking

Well well what do you know... The "fantasy" I said would probably happen next gets an official start date of Jan/Feb.

Shall we let you know in a month or so when it breaks ground (because it's fantasy land until then right??????) and then we can hear "is that all? We had redbox built. Anything new? 3 office towers that would be out largest???? We have 300 unit apartment buildings in midtown"

Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
I have checked on the restaurants in up town Charlotte, and many of the high end restaurants that are chains, Charlotte has the only one in North Carolina.

Chima Brazilian Steakhouse (Fort Lauderdale, Fla, Charlotte, NC, Tyson's Corner-Vienna Va,

Philadelphia,Pa, Uberlândia,MG (Brazil)

Capital Grille (Charlotte hasthe only one in NC)

Basil Thai Cuisine (2 location in Charlotte & 3 location in SC)

Mert's Heart and Soul ( local 16restaurants in the Charlotte Metro)

Morton's The Steakhouse (Charlotte has the only one in NC}

Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
And the 42 story fantasy tower I mentioned hit the news, renderings and a time frame of spring. Developer is Childress Klien (uptown developer very reliable)

Childress Klein to build apartment tower atop Mint Museum in uptown Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And the 42 story fantasy tower I mentioned hit the news, renderings and a time frame of spring. Developer is Childress Klien (uptown developer very reliable)

Childress Klein to build apartment tower atop Mint Museum in uptown Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal
With it being 42 stories do you think this will impact the skyline. Like coming down albermare rd to independence when you hit that curve and bam theres the skyline.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Do Business Here :: Developments :: Downtown Raleigh

After clicking through this list.. outside of the Skyhouse, Union Station, Charter Square, the L, and The Edison building.. I cant say that these projects are very impressive. The rest seem like your run of the mill apartments that seem to be a dime a dozen...

Seriously.. if any of you haven't, click through the links. Why are two skyscrapers, a new park, and light rail/streetcar extension being laughed at when this is your list. I dont even know the other projects going on as I don't keep up to date on it, but I see more construction out of my window. I seriously drive past probably 6 apartment construction sites in Uptown that look identical to the ones posted here. And that's just the ones i visibly see.

The most impressive ones are the ones that have been completed (Citrix, Red Hat, Amphitheater).
Not sure where to start. First the only thing I ever said about the new park,was it was nice. Second I conceded the point on the light rail line.

Next thing I never said my list was impressive. I only said it was a good list of what was going on in Raleigh. Also it was on par with anything going on in Charlotte.

There are two reasons I am not impressed with the projects recently posted. One I am more interested in the amount of ground floor retail. In any project. More than its height. Two the ones posted are not much taller than a few being built in Raleigh. Not all DT some in MT but still. I'll list a few.

Tower III 28 stories
Tower II. 20 stories.
Charter Square North 24 at least?
Edison Office Building taller than Skyhouse Raleigh 20 stories I think
Skyhouse Raleigh
SECU HQ if you are not impressed with this building. You don't have eyes.
Citrix HQ
Wake Justice Center
Raleigh Union Station
Duel branded Marriott(Brier Creek)

As far as boring renovations. The link you posted from CCCP was full of renovations. Or did you forget that? A little info on a couple of those boring renovations. Boylan Pearce Building. An almost 100 year old building totally restored on Fayetteville Street. Far from boring. Death and Taxes Reno. Once again 100 year old building totally restored. But there's more it will be the home of 2014 James Beard Chef Ashley Christensen new flag ship restaurant. I know there are not James Beard award winning chefs there. Trust me though far from boring.

Speaking of parks Moore Square park 15,000,000 urbanization boring?

Moore Square Transit Station 12,000,000 that number is from memory. I could be off. But anyway boring? I'll bet money when it's finished it will look better than the one Uptown.

Almost forgot Carolina Ale House. 3 stories. Top floor Carolina Ale House. Flagship by the way. Retractable roof. Second floor separate restaurant. Can't remember exactly what kind. But it has been announced. I just forgot and too lazy to look it up. Bottom floor unannounced retail. All in the heart of Glenwood south. As a matter of fact. Across the street from the Gramercy. Sounds boring to me.

Aloft Hotel once again I know boring.

Once again I would love to see a side by side list. Not you and your fellow charlatans try to pick mine apart. For the record most of what is being built is cookie cutter. Let's not forget I was Uptown not even a month ago. So I have a good idea what's going on too.

Considering uptown is everything in the entire metro and DT is about a 3rd. I feel good about the situation.

Last thing I wouldn't get too cocky about the 42 story building quite yet. 2 30 story towers rumored DT. tower 4 MT supposed to be taller than tower III which will be 28 stories. Will surely keep y'all informed.

Last edited by Atowwn; 12-23-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Picture of Mint apartment tower.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
I have checked on the restaurants in up town Charlotte, and many of the high end restaurants that are chains, Charlotte has the only one in North Carolina.

Chima Brazilian Steakhouse (Fort Lauderdale, Fla, Charlotte, NC, Tyson's Corner-Vienna Va,

Philadelphia,Pa, Uberlândia,MG (Brazil)

Capital Grille (Charlotte hasthe only one in NC)

Basil Thai Cuisine (2 location in Charlotte & 3 location in SC)

Mert's Heart and Soul ( local 16restaurants in the Charlotte Metro)

Morton's The Steakhouse (Charlotte has the only one in NC}
We don't really do chains like that here. We do nationally respected and award winning ORIGINAL idea restaurants. Chains are Charlotte's thing.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Not sure where to start. First the only thing I ever said about the new park,was it was nice. Second I conceded the point on the light rail line.

Next thing I never said my list was impressive. I only said it was a good list of what was going on in Raleigh. Also it was on par with anything going on in Charlotte.

There are two reasons I am not impressed with the projects recently posted. One I am more interested in the amount of ground floor retail. In any project. More than its height. Two the ones posted are not much taller than a few being built in Raleigh. Not all DT some in MT but still. I'll list a few.

Tower III 28 stories
Tower II. 20 stories.
Charter Square North 24 at least?
Edison Office Building taller than Skyhouse Raleigh 20 stories I think
Skyhouse Raleigh
SECU HQ if you are not impressed with this building. You don't have eyes.
Citrix HQ
Wake Justice Center
Raleigh Union Station
Duel branded Marriott(Brier Creek)

As far as boring renovations. The link you posted from CCCP was full of renovations. Or did you forget that? A little info on a couple of those boring renovations. Boylan Pearce Building. An almost 100 year old building totally restored on Fayetteville Street. Far from boring. Death and Taxes Reno. Once again 100 year old building totally restored. But there's more it will be the home of 2014 James Beard Chef Ashley Christensen new flag ship restaurant. I know there are not James Beard award winning chefs there. Trust me though far from boring.

Speaking of parks Moore Square park 15,000,000 urbanization boring?

Moore Square Transit Station 12,000,000 that number is from memory. I could be off. But anyway boring? I'll bet money when it's finished it will look better than the one Uptown.

Almost forgot Carolina Ale House. 3 stories. Top floor Carolina Ale House. Flagship by the way. Retractable roof. Second floor separate restaurant. Can't remember exactly what kind. But it has been announced. I just forgot and too lazy to look it up. Bottom floor unannounced retail. All in the heart of Glenwood south. As a matter of fact. Across the street from the Gramercy. Sounds boring to me.

Aloft Hotel once again I know boring.

Once again I would love to see a side by side list. Not you and your fellow charlatans try to pick mine apart. For the record most of what is being built is cookie cutter. Let's not forget I was Uptown not even a month ago. So I have a good idea what's going on too.
Visiting Charlotte and making a observation on what you think is going here vs living here and actually seeing charlottes construction first hand around the city are two very different things. ~{>_>}~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina