Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Let's let the unbiased experts measure up the 2 cities

Charlotte Chamber - Charlotte's National Rankings and Accolades

Do Business Here :: Accolades :: Downtown Raleigh

Both lists are mostly top 10 rankings. For some reason the Charlotte list has state rankings. 7 I believe. It's seems that list needs a little padding

It seems most independent sources rank Raleigh above Charlotte. Who woulda thunk it.

I didn't use Triangle accolades. Just Raleigh's. Otherwise it would've really gotten out of hand.
Charlotte is also is a GAMMA+ city.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Ohhhhhhhh impressive

Last edited by Atowwn; 01-21-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM

These are things that matter to a city, that makes jobs and help bring in industry.
Many companies come to Charlotte because of our airport . We have a good transit system that the triangle can not match.

Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the 9 busiest airport in the USA. At the present in has 92 gates with 15 more gate that will start construction this year. Has over 703 fights a day. Services 41 International Non-stop flights and 151 US non-stop flights
Concourse E has 38 gates, and entirely used for US Airways(American AA), operating over 340 flights per day (making it the largest operation in the world).
5.6 Miles from Uptown Charlotte.

CATS (Charlotte Area Transit System).
70 Local routes
19 Express routes in North & South Carolina
83,ooo riders a day
Lynx Blue Line 16,000 riders a day will double when extension in 2017 is open will = 20 miles.
CATS fleet 501 total
The largest Transit system in NC and between Washington DC and Atlanta Ga.

951 foreign companies in the Charlotte region with Two-thirds in Mecklenburg County.

Charlotte has 8 Fortune 500 companies in it metro with one being add this year.

he Charlotte area includes a very diverse range of businesses, including foodstuffs such as I
, Harris Teeter, Lance, Inc, Carolina Foods Inc, Bojangles', Food Lion, Compass Group USA, and Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (Charlotte being the nation's second largest Coca-Cola bottler), motor and transportation companies like RSC Brands, Continental Tire the Americas, LLC., Meineke Car Care Center, Carlisle Companies (along with several other services), and U.S. Airways, along with a wide array of other businesses.[43]

Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 PM

160 posts, read 235,158 times
Quote:
In a way, this sums up the debate to me:
Charlotte - Gamma+
Raleigh - Gamma

Above Gamma+ is Beta-, Beta, Beta+, Alpha-, Alpha, Alpha+, and Alpha++

Generally they're pretty similar. By measures of such things, Charlotte overall has a bit of an edge. However, the edge is not dramatic. But overall, perhaps it is even a level above Raleigh - it is after all a Gamma+ and not a Gamma.

But then again, if Charlotte (at Gamma+) is a level above Raleigh (at Gamma), it must bug the folks in Charlotte that Atlanta is an Alpha-, 4 levels above Charlotte

Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
These are things that matter to a city, that makes jobs and help bring in industry.
Many companies come to Charlotte because of our airport . We have a good transit system that the triangle can not match.

Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the 9 busiest airport in the USA. At the present in has 92 gates with 15 more gate that will start construction this year. Has over 703 fights a day. Services 41 International Non-stop flights and 151 US non-stop flights
Concourse E has 38 gates, and entirely used for US Airways(American AA), operating over 340 flights per day (making it the largest operation in the world).
5.6 Miles from Uptown Charlotte.

CATS (Charlotte Area Transit System).
70 Local routes
19 Express routes in North & South Carolina
83,ooo riders a day
Lynx Blue Line 16,000 riders a day will double when extension in 2017 is open will = 20 miles.
CATS fleet 501 total
The largest Transit system in NC and between Washington DC and Atlanta Ga.

951 foreign companies in the Charlotte region with Two-thirds in Mecklenburg County.

Charlotte has 8 Fortune 500 companies in it metro with one being add this year.

he Charlotte area includes a very diverse range of businesses, including foodstuffs such as I
, Harris Teeter, Lance, Inc, Carolina Foods Inc, Bojangles', Food Lion, Compass Group USA, and Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (Charlotte being the nation's second largest Coca-Cola bottler), motor and transportation companies like RSC Brands, Continental Tire the Americas, LLC., Meineke Car Care Center, Carlisle Companies (along with several other services), and U.S. Airways, along with a wide array of other businesses.[43]

With all of this most unbiased experts rank Raleigh/Triangle higher. Maybe your Fortune 500's, Skyline, and your public transit aren't as big of a deal as y'all think they are the experts don't seem to think so. I'll ask a simple question. If all the things y'all brag about are so important. I would think Charlotte/metro would blow Raleigh/Triangle out of the water. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

Accolades | Greater Raleigh Area

This list is still mostly Raleigh. It has some Raleigh/Durham rankings. Still mostly top 10 national rankings. This should make the point. No need to list ALL the Triangle accolades. That might be considered over kill

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Charlotte - Gamma+
Raleigh - Gamma

Generally they're pretty similar. By measures of such things, Charlotte overall has a bit of an edge. However, the edge is not dramatic. But overall, perhaps it is even a level above Raleigh - it is after all a Gamma+ and not a Gamma.

But then again, if Charlotte (at Gamma+) is a level above Raleigh (at Gamma), it must bug the folks in Charlotte that Atlanta is an Alpha-, 4 levels above Charlotte
What's bugs folks in Charlotte is that MOST INDEPENDENT EXPERTS rate the Triangle better the the Charlotte metro. It's not even close!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Toshiba is opening a new energy division whose HQ will be in Charlotte. I think atlrvr made mention of this a few months ago, but here is an article. I wonder if long term Toshiba is considering moving the entire Westinghouse HQ to Charlotte.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/b...hq.html?r=full

Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Charlotte - Gamma+
Raleigh - Gamma

Lol, that's crazy stuff. I think the one thing that really holds Charlotte back from the so-called higher rating is the lack of more 4-year institutions or large/brand institution. Otherwise, it's well ahead of Raleigh (RDU) in transportation, fortune 500s, etc.

Triangle has two distinct advantages: Capital city and educational institutions. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Atlanta is a capital city which makes a huge difference with how educational institutions were initially granted to a city/region. See Columbia, Nashville, Richmond, etc. Charlotte made one bad decision, relocating UNCC campus from uptown area to outskirts of city (60s?). If not, I think a large urban campus would've propelled the city's artsy, etc, status...easily elevating it's so-called world status. I think having Johnson and Wales based in Charlotte has yielded dividends and bolds well for the innovative and creative fine dining non-chain scene.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:17 AM

No one here says the Triangle is an asset to North Carolina, but Charlotte is just as important to North Carolina too. Charlotte is the second largest city in the southeast after Jacksonville Fla. It is not the largest metro.

Charlotte has more headquarters than Raleigh and no matter what you say does not change the fact that Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh.

Raleigh has 88 hotels in the city and Charlotte has 197 hotels.
Everyone on this forum knows Charlotte is at another level over Raleigh but you.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, that's crazy stuff. I think the one thing that really holds Charlotte back from the so-called higher rating is the lack of more 4-year institutions or large/brand institution. Otherwise, it's well ahead of Raleigh (RDU) in transportation, fortune 500s, etc.

Triangle has two distinct advantages: Capital city and educational institutions. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Atlanta is a capital city which makes a huge difference with how educational institutions were initially granted to a city/region. See Columbia, Nashville, Richmond, etc. Charlotte made one bad decision, relocating UNCC campus from uptown area to outskirts of city (60s?). If not, I think a large urban campus would've propelled the city's artsy, etc, status...easily elevating it's so-called world status. I think having Johnson and Wales based in Charlotte has yielded dividends and bolds well for the innovative and creative fine dining non-chain scene.
While the distance from Uptown has been a negative, they plan to add another building Uptown at some point &will move a lot of their grad level courses along with undergrad offerings Uptown once the blue line is extended. It should only be a 20 minute or less trip from their UCity campus & 1st Ward campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina