Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Are all these attractions free? Mecklenburg accounts for close to 25% of visitor spending in the state & totals more than Wake,Durham,Orange,Guilford & Forsythias combined
I took my sister and her kids to the science museum in downtown Raleigh before I went overseas. I'm guessing it's the one the globe on it right? It was free for of us to get in. I was actually shocked because something this nice and its free and I had stopped by the atm and took out 50 bucks for it originally. Makes me think how is all of this funded to keep it free?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 PM

272 posts, read 380,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I took my sister and her kids to the science museum in downtown Raleigh before I went overseas. I'm guessing it's the one the globe on it right? It was free for of us to get in. I was actually shocked because something this nice and its free and I had stopped by the atm and took out 50 bucks for it originally. Makes me think how is all of this funded to keep it free?
NC museum of science. I'm not sure if the State of North Carolina funds it (It is the North Carolina museum of science, in the North Carolina capital), but I do know that the museums in Raleigh receive donations

Old 03-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
When Salix goes, Raleigh jobs are at risk – but also a silver lining

?Whether Salix Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: SLXP) opts to sell to Valeant (NYSE: VRX) or Endo (Nasdaq: ENDP), jobs in Raleigh will be at risk - Triangle Business Journal

Wats going on? What's gonna happen to these people.
I'm pretty sure they won't have a hard time finding another job in that occupation. That isn't the only Pharmaceutical company that has presence in the Triangle.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

What this shows Charlotte metro is the largest manufacture complex in the state.
The Triangle is the largest Hi-tech center of NC
Been that way for years, from what I know.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:32 PM

I remember hearing about MLB possibly going to Charlotte. The way things work in Raleigh, I don't see us getting a MLB team. I know that the Charlotte Knights have a lovely new stadium uptown now. What do yall think the possibilities are of that happening within the next 10 years?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
I'm pretty sure they won't have a hard time finding another job in that occupation. That isn't the only Pharmaceutical company that has presence in the Triangle.
That's not what I was getting at. That article is making is seem like the triangle will fall because that is one of the first companies that relocated to the triangle from andhad a huge success. Just because one company fails does not mean it be a domino effect for the rest of the jobs located there.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
NC museum of science. I'm not sure if the State of North Carolina funds it (It is the North Carolina museum of science, in the North Carolina capital), but I do know that the museums in Raleigh receive donations
No need the smart remark. Just needed to know if that was the right one I was talking about and thank you.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Are all these attractions free? Mecklenburg accounts for close to 25% of visitor spending in the state & totals more than Wake,Durham,Orange,Guilford & Forsyth combined
Yes they all are free,well kinda. N.C. Museum of Life and Science(awesome by the way,most rank as one of best in America)N.C. Museum of History,and N.C. Museum of Art are State museums. All paid for and funded by the State of N.C..

Being the Capital City has it's benefits,at times. Not always but in this case,clearly a benefit. I imagine Mecklenburgs visitor spending would be higher. Considering our largest attractions are free. Even if they did charge I think Meck probably would still lead.All that visitor spending actually pays for our museums,if you really think about it though.

Regardless I didn't write the article. The rankings aren't based on spending. They're based on visitor totals. If anyone has an issue with the rankings. Take it up with the Bizjournals.

Choloboy I take it you liked the science museum. It a cool place. Especially when the scientist are working behind the glass. The giant dinosaur that looks like a T Rex is cool too. It's not a T Rex though. I can't remember what is called at the moment.

Rahlee boy. I've actually heard that it's more likely that the Bulls actually move up. Than Raleigh or Charlotte get a MLB team. I actually hope it happens. One pro team each sounds fair to me. Maybe then the Mudcats can move up and maybe move DT possibly. It's all a long shot at this point though.

I've actually heard we have a better chance at a soccer team. But I'm hoping for MLB eventually,fingers crossed. Btw I think DBAP is just as nice as BB&t park. It better be considering all the money they spent fixing it up a year or so ago.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:11 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Most Popular Places to Retire for 2014

» Most Popular Places to Retire for 2014 - Topretirements

Old 03-14-2015, 03:40 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Quote:
I remember hearing about MLB possibly going to Charlotte. The way things work in Raleigh, I don't see us getting a MLB team. I know that the Charlotte Knights have a lovely new stadium uptown now. What do yall think the possibilities are of that happening within the next 10 years?
Charlotte is no where near getting a MLB team anytime soon.

You need large population to support a MLB team, and North Carolina does not have a city with 4 or 5 million people in it metro to support a team. At the present Charlotte metro is the largest in population but about 2 million short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina