Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

Advertisements

Effort to “right-size” the UNC system in the works

Effort to

The University of North Carolina’s 17 campuses extend from the state’s mountains to the coast. More than 220,000 students are enrolled at 16 universities and the NC School of Science and Mathematics, the country’s first public residential high school for gifted students. Each year, we graduate more than 30,000 students from over 200 academic degree programs. Our graduates emerge as leaders, creators and researchers, prepared to connect with and give back to the communities that have supported UNC for more than two centuries.

Last edited by CLT1985; 04-19-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 10:46 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
First of all it's Atowwn,chump. Btw most of your posts are absurd. So no argument there. I've been meaning to get back to you anyway. Thanks for reminding me with another Big AH comment.

I just had a question about you know it all comments about the Triangles college basketball teams prospects this year. First you said they were all overrated. Then you made a foolish comment. Something about UNC getting ousted. As if losing to the National Runner-up in the sweet 16 is something to be ashamed of. Oh no comment about State's sweet 16 appearance this season. It's funny how you try to come across as a know it all. But in the end it turns out you have no idea what you are talking about. Then try to cover your foot in mouth attack with more smart comments.

I had another question also? Why are you moving to the Triangle again? With ALLLLLL that Charlotte has to offer,I can't see it. There is nothing here that you can't find in the great Charlotte. Could it be a better job opportunity in Mayberry,IMPOSSIBLE!!

I feel so sorry for you. Having to give up your great Uptown,no light rail here and all. How will you deal with the loss????

Heck why don't you stay in the big city? We have plenty of Big AH's here already,thanks anyway

To you and all your fellow echo-chamber members,get a life please. Making foolish accusations about me answering my own posts,is just weak guys. If this new guy is getting the best of you,and he seems to be. Deal with him. Don't try to pull me in. Because he's giving you guys a much deserved mental beat down lol. Although I do agree with most of his comments,it's not me. If any of you think I am posting under multiple usernames PLEASE REPORT ME TO A MODERATOR!!!! Otherwise go pound salt

Keep giving em he** my brother. With all the tears and foolish accusations. It looks like you are obviously getting the best of them!
I already moved and settled in new spot in Durham (but still have a house in Charlotte)...you are fuc'n NUTs. I will still spend time in the Charlotte area for work, especially with UNCC and NC State sharing a research grant that our team will support.

Nobody is getting the best of anything, I was pulling for Duke jackass. The reality of the situation was neither Duke or UNC was playing their best ball going into the tourney, but coach K worked his magic, Roy not so much.

Lol, the multiple accounts and replying to yourself under another account name is comical. It is you, the same BS with the same . It's like a drug, you're incapable of completing a sentence without ending it with .....???

Old 04-19-2015, 11:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
The biggest thing a few Raleigh poster want to is call Charlotte every name in the book but yet want discuss what is important to both areas. Trying to compare Charlotte to Gastonia is like comparing Raleigh to Lizard Lick. If this the best way to discuss the difference between the 2 cities, we should close this forum because there is no need to set here insult each other.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM

111 posts, read 143,589 times
I absolutely love both cities. Charlotte have alot of developments going on that its hard to keep up. Raleigh is a growing city, and progressing. I think its time for Raleigh to expand its entertainment venues. I would love to see a EpiCentre type building in downtown Raleigh, a waterpark and amusement park in RDU. Even the Triad MSA have alot of entertainment venues: Wild Emerald Pointe Waterpark, Cone Denim (affiliated with the House of Blues), Winston Salem art culture, International Civil Rights museum, Greensboro Science Center, prestigous Tournaments, NC Zoo, ACC Museum, and the new AirFun and Golden Gate Adventures Park thats set to open in the summer.

Last edited by tcm1913; 04-19-2015 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: additional information

Old 04-19-2015, 12:18 PM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
"Revenue=JOBS"

Best large cities for jobs growth. Raleigh #4, Charlotte #14. (Sorry Charlotte, "Mayberry" beats you again in the large cities ranking )
Large Cities Rankings - 2014 Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com
It's great that the Triangle is doing well but you seem to underestimate the worth of the Charlotte region to the states economy. Charlotte has a 30 billion lead over the Triangle & 65 billion lead over the Triad as measured by GDP . Now the question is since all 3 metros are similar in size(according to you) then why is Charlotte's economy so much larger?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:33 PM

536 posts, read 639,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
Charlotte wants desperately (is it insecurity?) to be the dominate city in NC, like Atlanta is in Georgia. It's simply not going to happen. NC is more like Ohio or Texas, with several roughly equal in size metropolitan area all offering something different and unique.

Charlotte CSA - 2,493,040 growth rate 4.94%
Raleigh CSA - 2,037,430 growth rate 6.52%
Triad CSA - 1,619,313 growth rate 1.89%
True, except Charlotte is the only CSA that has one city over 100,000 as the central city. The Triangle and Triad are multi-nodal/polycentric CSAs.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
True, except Charlotte is the only CSA that has one city over 100,000 as the central city. The Triangle and Triad are multi-nodal/polycentric CSAs.
Doesn't matter. Drop a pin in the middle of both cities and circle out the same 40-50 miles or so distance in circumference and the metro areas are roughly the same size, but as stated in the OP, Raleigh's CSA is growing at a faster clip than Charlotte, just a matter of time before the Greater Raleigh metro overtakes the Greater Charlotte metro and before Wake county overtakes Mecklenburg county in the state just as Wake County public school system has already overtaken Charlotte-Meck as the state's largest school system.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
It's great that the Triangle is doing well but you seem to underestimate the worth of the Charlotte region to the states economy. Charlotte has a 30 billion lead over the Triangle & 65 billion lead over the Triad as measured by GDP . Now the question is since all 3 metros are similar in size(according to you) then why is Charlotte's economy so much larger?

"Now the question is since all 3 metros are similar in size(according to you"

Not according to me, according to wikipedia. You have computer don't you?? Facts are stubborn and pesky things. Here it is again from wikipedia, "CSA metros wikipedia". Oh, and you see which metro is growing at the faster clip, right?

Charlotte CSA - 2,493,040 growth rate 4.94%
Raleigh CSA - 2,037,430 growth rate 6.52%
Triad CSA - 1,619,313 growth rate 1.89%

Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM

I heard someone say that Charlotte is the Pamela Anderson of NC, fake b_ _bs, lots of makeup, and nothing beneath the surface

Old 04-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Al that proves is that Charlotte is big country town surrounded by small country towns

Last edited by Raleigh540; 04-19-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina