Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,031,540 times

Advertisements

Wow....Look at all the defensiveness from the Charlotte people. I was only telling you what I hear from others outside the state ALL THE TIME about NASCAR.

I told you to not shoot the messenger.

That all said, I personally have no interest in NASCAR and couldn't care any less about it one way or the other.

The short list of things that Charlotte has that I would like to see in the Triangle are as follows:
  1. Ikea - Until another one pops up in our area in the distant future, I'll make occasional trips when necessary.
  2. Commuter Train - light rail or otherwise, I think all cities should have alternatives for transportation. That will come to Raleigh in time.

There will always be things in one area that the other will not have. For example, the Triangle will never be a NBA or NFL market because of the major universities. Conversely, Charlotte will never be the higher education center of North Carolina. Raleigh will never be the largest municipality in the state and Charlotte will never be the seat of State Government. The core industry base of the two areas will likely never seriously compete with each other as the foundations on which they are built are each unique within the state.

What's important to you may not be (and probably isn't) to me. For example, I really don't care about how tall our skyline is. I'd sacrifice every proposed tower in a NY minute for continued growth of the urbanized neighborhoods in the city.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Why don't you chew on this for a while. There are 2 NASCAR tracks in proximity to Philadelphia. Those would be Dover & Pocono. Apparently there are fans in the MidAtlantic. Watkins Glen is in Upstate NY. So, apparently, you care what people from the NYC metro & New England think, for some reason.
Chew? Maybe.....
Swallow? I don't think so.

Is the only right answer here to say that I am jealous of not having a NASCAR track or Hall of Fame? If that's the only answer, you'll be waiting a lifetime for it because I just don't care about the sport and wouldn't ever push to get it in the Triangle.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Are you stating all three NC metros to compare to Philly or that each NC metro is a microcosm of Philly?

And in an effort to show some unity for the region, I'm trying to stay up to date with all the HSR news going on. This may have the potential to be NCs Hartsfield.
Well, neither, but there are elements in each that translate back to Philly.

The Triangle has the colleges.

The Triad & Charlotte were initially settled by refuges from the Philadelphia area. Greensboro still has the Quaker community presence. The big question is, have you spent time in that metro? There is still countryside in that metro (working farms, farm towns. . .) I can honestly say that the pace of life is pretty much the same.

LOL, I see the shots that the Atlantans take at Charlotte & laugh. It's so much like NYers taking shots at Philadelphia & South Jersey.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Chew? Maybe.....
Swallow? I don't think so.

Is the only right answer here to say that I am jealous of not having a NASCAR track or Hall of Fame? If that's the only answer, you'll be waiting a lifetime for it because I just don't care about the sport and wouldn't ever push to get it in the Triangle.
Oh, excuse me. Apparently you never heard that expression. Chew on it = Think about this.

I don't care if you like NASCAR or not. However I pointed out that there are 2 tracks near Philly. Over the years, I've had many a NYer tell me that Philadelphia is the gateway to the south, so if you buy that arguement, I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,792,996 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want it.
There are things in Charlotte that I'd welcome in Raleigh but NASCAR isn't one of them. I am GLAD the Triangle doesn't have NASCAR because it's often used as a jab by people from the West or North when they talk about NC. Like it or not but NASCAR projects a backward, redneck and negative image to many people across the nation.
Frankly, I never think about NASCAR. The only times I think about it are when people make negative comments about it and associate it with Raleigh. Of course, these are not people in NC or familiar with the state. That's when I tell them that there isn't a NASCAR track in Raleigh and that they must be getting Raleigh confused with Charlotte.
Don't shoot the messenger NASCAR fans, I am just telling you what I hear.
You're right about NASCAR's image, but it's a multi-billion dollar industry and one of the biggest spectator sports in the country. Charlotte is fortunate to have NASCAR's presence in the area for the economic impact alone. Redneck's dollars are just as good as anybody else's, lol. It's not really my thing, but I gained a healthy respect for the sport when I went on a tour of one of the facilities of a NASCAR driver up in Huntersville. There's a lot of sophistication and tons of money that goes into racing.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, excuse me. Apparently you never heard that expression. Chew on it = Think about this.
I don't care if you like NASCAR or not. However I pointed out that there are 2 tracks near Philly. Over the years, I've had many a NYer tell me that Philadelphia is the gateway to the south, so if you buy that arguement, I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You're right about NASCAR's image, but it's a multi-billion dollar industry and one of the biggest spectator sports in the country. Charlotte is fortunate to have NASCAR's presence in the area for the economic impact alone. Redneck's dollars are just as good as anybody else's, lol. It's not really my thing, but I gained a healthy respect for the sport when I went on a tour of one of the facilities of a NASCAR driver up in Huntersville. There's a lot of sophistication and tons of money that goes into racing.
I understand that there is tons of money poured into NASCAR. I also know that its following is national. I was even on a business trip in Boston and saw NASCAR fans at a gate waiting for a flight to "where ever" that week's race was. I get the money and following.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Well, neither, but there are elements in each that translate back to Philly.

The Triangle has the colleges.

The Triad & Charlotte were initially settled by refuges from the Philadelphia area. Greensboro still has the Quaker community presence. The big question is, have you spent time in that metro? There is still countryside in that metro (working farms, farm towns. . .) I can honestly say that the pace of life is pretty much the same.

LOL, I see the shots that the Atlantans take at Charlotte & laugh. It's so much like NYers taking shots at Philadelphia & South Jersey.
The west burbs of Philly are lovely. The area is rolly-polly hills, like much of the NC Piedmont, and dotted with nice towns. The biggest difference I see in them is the average age of the homes. Most of NC's suburban areas are newer. Philly's inner west burbs (Villanova, etc.) are REALLY nice IMO.

At the end of the day, the stretch of Piedmont from the SE to the mid-Atlantic has many similarities geographically.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
The west burbs of Philly are lovely. The area is rolly-polly hills, like much of the NC Piedmont, and dotted with nice towns. The biggest difference I see in them is the average age of the homes. Most of NC's suburban areas are newer. Philly's inner west burbs (Villanova, etc.) are REALLY nice IMO.

At the end of the day, the stretch of Piedmont from the SE to the mid-Atlantic has many similarities geographically.
The area around Villanova is what is called The Main Line. The big money (inherited money) families have been there practically forever. The neighborhood near CMC in Charlotte looks like some neighborhoods in Philly.

I'm originally from the Midwest & descend from the Mendenhall branch that is one of the founding Quaker families in the Triad. I found a link to information online concerning one of the family members who was jailed for refusing to pay the fine that was levied on those who refused to serve in the Confederate army for religious reasons. There is mention of one or two family members traveling to Philadelphia during the war.

I read an account of 2 officers at the Battle of Stones River, one from Philadelphia, the other from Richmond, having a conversation about Philly. The officer from Richmond had been sent to Philadelphia for school. (I know we aren't talking about Richmond, but it still fits in here)

Years ago, while on the West Coast, I got into a conversation with a woman from SC, who told me that she hated Philadelphia because it was nothing but an overgrown version of Charlotte.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,264,586 times
Quote:

I definitely agree. Whenever I see my family in Trenton I can't tell I've left NC...until I see the size of the houses and hear people talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina