Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM

68 posts, read 138,160 times

Advertisements

Charlotte's godawful road infracstructure and traffic is why Raleigh is better

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
I disagree. Charlotte has much better roads than Raleigh.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I disagree. Charlotte has much better roads than Raleigh.
i haven't been to Charlotte enough to make a comparison, but I do recall several threads on this board where people from the western side of the sate,including Charlotte complaining how much better and how much money goes into rods Raleigh on east versus the rest of the state.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
"Atlanta and Raleigh commutes are often complicated by older roads never built to handle the type of traffic they see now, in addition to Interstate congestion during rush hours.
Charlotte commuters do just a little better at an average of 21.11 minutes to rank 25th."
Atlanta commute among the worst, Raleigh's worse than Charlotte's | TechJournal South

Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM

72 posts, read 188,359 times
Charlotte and Raleigh both have road systems that have become inundated and overwhelmed by the massive growth both areas have experienced over the past 15-20 years. The urban areas around these cities are the largest in the state and are both by far the fastest growing.

The biggest issue is getting our State Legislature to adopt a comprehensive transportation plan that accounts for this being 2011 and the state having 2 large urbanized areas that will continue to grow. The Equity Formula had its time and place in NC History, but in 2011 NC needs a plan that will allow of state's 2 core urban areas to continue to grow and remain competitive to people wanting to relocate as well as businesses.

I know that building and widening roads is not the end all/ be all answer, but roads are going to continue to be a very important piece of the NC transportation pie along with light-rail, mass transit, etc. over the foreseeable future.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethoma View Post
The biggest issue is getting our State Legislature to adopt a comprehensive transportation plan that accounts for this being 2011 and the state having 3 large urbanized areas that will continue to grow.

Fixed that for ya.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Fixed that for ya.

Yep, dont forget about lil ol, Greensboro. LOL!!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Fixed that for ya.
Which is the third? Charlotte and Raleigh are by far the largest and fastest-growing areas in the state. There's a nice gap between those two and Greensboro, the next largest. Plus, I think Greensboro already has a freeway network that's more than adequate for its size. With all of those signs heading into the area from I-85 south, you'd think you were going through a city of a million people, lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Which is the third? Charlotte and Raleigh are by far the largest and fastest-growing areas in the state. There's a nice gap between those two and Greensboro, the next largest. Plus, I think Greensboro already has a freeway network that's more than adequate for its size. With all of those signs heading into the area from I-85 south, you'd think you were going through a city of a million people, lol.
Greensboro without a doubt has the best highway system in the state....with the least amount of traffic! LOL. That is probably the one thing i dont miss about Charlotte... Traffic is a breeze....

Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethoma View Post
Charlotte and Raleigh both have road systems that have become inundated and overwhelmed by the massive growth both areas have experienced over the past 15-20 years. The urban areas around these cities are the largest in the state and are both by far the fastest growing.

The biggest issue is getting our State Legislature to adopt a comprehensive transportation plan that accounts for this being 2011 and the state having 2 large urbanized areas that will continue to grow. The Equity Formula had its time and place in NC History, but in 2011 NC needs a plan that will allow of state's 2 core urban areas to continue to grow and remain competitive to people wanting to relocate as well as businesses.

I know that building and widening roads is not the end all/ be all answer, but roads are going to continue to be a very important piece of the NC transportation pie along with light-rail, mass transit, etc. over the foreseeable future.
I could rep you 3,000.000 times for this post. I mean seriously, why is there not more support for both of these regions? And now, there is even talks of the state legislature blocking the ability to receive the federal stimulus funds for HSR (think Florida and Ohio)! The urban planning for NC definitely needs to match 2011 and not 1911. The interstate system for both metros needs improvement, especially Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina