U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 25,651 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have a lake house on Kerr lake. This last year there has been an increase in robberies of houses around Granville Co/Island Creek Dam of Kerr lake. The criminals avoid houses with alarms and cameras generally. They have been taking marine/boat items out of boats, trailers, tires off of trailers, small boats, any item that can be sold to a metal recycler, and 4x4s.

I am writing this post to inform and share information to help fight off the criminals.

Before I was robbed one of the criminals actually asked permission to recycle some metal in a junk pile back in the woods from my house. Said he found the junk when he was chasing his coon hounds. The 30 something yr old fellas had a disabling cut on his wrist keeping him from working so he was earning extra $ recycling. I was busy hosting a social event and was not alert to the fact of his real intention of robbery. Two weeks later the tires were stolen off my trailer parked by the road a ways back from the lake as well as broken lawnmowers, and some stored metal pipes and sheets. Previously in the spring someone cleaned out my boat under my house taking the cooler,gas tanks, battery, cushions, and line. They never entered the house to set off the alarm. During this time one neighbor's house was trashed and extensive robbery of outside items occured at other houses on our cove.

Now my house is bristling with 12 outside cameras, covering not only every approach to the house but also all the boats entering our cove. One other house now has cameras. Three houses now have new alarm systems. Lesson learned, outside robbery can be reduced with cameras. The crooks move on quickly to easier targets. I am alerting my neighbors of my cameras ability to provide images of boats used to rob their houses on the lake. Also I will be adding a remote driveway sensor to trigger "panic mode" camera recordings if the house is approached by a vehicle on our gated driveway.

Anyone else want to voice their thoughts on the matter? Any advice for me and others?

Last edited by Glass004; 01-31-2013 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: mispellings
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,706,840 times
Smart. Leverage technology to it's greatest potential. Posting signs about video recording will make them move on too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
>