Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM

602 posts, read 574,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I guess you forgot about the other three Republican governors who were elected in the last 100 years. Such a fine job they did they served one term each (Jim Martin served 2 terms).

Doesnt change the fact that Dem leadership got us to our current position.

Funny how much the left sounds like the Reps right after Obama was elected the 1st time. Complaining about how bad they are doing and acting like everything should be fixed instantly when their guys just left office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post

Funny how much the left sounds like the Reps right after Obama was elected the 1st time. Complaining about how bad they are doing and acting like everything should be fixed instantly when their guys just left office.
I'm not a Democrat & am not left-wing. Getting people back to work goes a long way to fixing budget problems. Tell me exactly what the Republicans are doing to get the long-term unemployed back to work. No extraneous talking points. . . just the job plan.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:

Apparently it does change the fact, it demonstrates the right wasn't getting the job done.
Indeed it is very funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not a Democrat & am not left-wing. Getting people back to work goes a long way to fixing budget problems. Tell me exactly what the Republicans are doing to get the long-term unemployed back to work. No extraneous talking points. . . just the job plan.
^^This ^^

Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM

601 posts, read 964,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes. There is a lawsuit about the gerrymandering (I think the complaint is on-line), I read it and studied it in an Elections law class (the only class in Law School that I have taken for pure fun), basically I think the GOP is likely to loose in lower court on the merits, but I think they have the state's higher courts wired in a partisan fashion so I don't know that it will amount to much.
So there is a lawsuit against the gerrymandering? Good. I truly think all political boundaries should be handled by a non-partisan group...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
It would be a lot easier to pay back the unemployment debt by getting the long-term unemployed back to work (paying taxes) & taking the medicare extension, which would have freed up money to pay back the unemployment debt. It's pretty easy.
if it's this easy, why is the economy in the tank, our national debt is 16.5 trillion and still skyrocketing and gov spending is out of control? Why did we give the muslim brotherhood 16 f16 and tanks?[/quote]

Again, tell me what McCrory plans to do to get the long-term unemployed back to work. No more right-wing talking points, just tell us the job plan to get people back to work now. That's what the Republicans keep running on. Jobs, jobs, jobs

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-13-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
So there is a lawsuit against the gerrymandering? Good. I truly think all political boundaries should be handled by a non-partisan group...
North Carolina actually has a very sensible rule about gerrymandering in the state constitution which basically says that as much as practical you need to keep whole counties together for legislature districts. Of course in doing their gerrymandering the GOP openly flaunted this rule and pretended it didn't exist which is part of why they are getting sued.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Let's discuss only McCroy performance in this thread, feel free to start another thread on other North Carolina politics.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 AM

602 posts, read 574,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
if it's this easy, why is the economy in the tank, our national debt is 16.5 trillion and still skyrocketing and gov spending is out of control? Why did we give the muslim brotherhood 16 f16 and tanks?

Again, tell me what McCrory plans to do to get the long-term unemployed back to work. No more right-wing talking points, just tell us the job plan to get people back to work now. That's what the Republicans keep running on. Jobs, jobs, jobs[/quote]

They will bring hope. And probably some change, too. That will save millions of NC jobs. If it's good enough for the federal govt it will surely be good enough for NC.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
They will bring hope. And probably some change, too. That will save millions of NC jobs. If it's good enough for the federal govt it will surely be good enough for NC.
Unless "Hope" is the name on the signature line of the check it will not get the bills paid.
On the brighter side the bulb flickered and it has been decided not to take "education" out of the NCEL name.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:27 PM

25 posts, read 31,030 times
I totally agree, MikeyKid! I, too, am sick of the empty words of all politicians and then watch them do the opposite action. That is one reason why do not align with any one party. I vote for the person, not the party. However, nowadays it seems we are voting for the lesser of two evils.

I became a volunteer in 2011 for an organization that I thought would help bring a difference for the people, but soon found that the 'managers' had there own personal agenda or were 'moles' from a political party. Any action that was suggested that could get some attention was immediately denied. So much for 'grassroots' groups. It seems the only action so far that has gotten attention is the Occupy movement, phone calls and petitions.

As for the gentleman who asked how I would exist on a tight budget--I downsized my home, sold many of my possessions and am now living on half of what I did before. We don't need all of the 'stuff' to keep up with the Jones's. I saw this coming over a decade ago and educated myself on how I could live more cheaply.

People need to be more educated about our legislators and what they are doing and not doing. I agree we need to tighten our belts in the state, but until I see the legislators willing to take a pay cut to show their support for the people (and other options such as cutting retirement pay for legislators--many average workers do not get that security and I am not talking about social security), have the same type of health care that the average person has (or more often than not doesn't because they can't afford it), etc.

I would love to see them cut their pay just as they have cut NC teachers' pay. How do they expect to improve test scores if they can't attract quality teachers? Yes, I hear you now--pay does not guarantee a quality teacher. True, but how many quality individuals are going to sacrifice their income just to teach and get a lower salary? I have seen this happen in other areas and usually the good teachers left because they could not get the support from parents, administrators and the states to teach creatively not just because of the pay. My mother taught in a 2-room schoolhouse and when that school merged into the larger school system, ALL of the students tested higher than their grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina