Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,054 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone in N.C., who has been fined $275 for failure to inspect your vehicle (emmision fine) and figured out a loophole around paying the fine? Is it possible to appeal the fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Like most inspection violations whether if it is a blown signal or failed emissions I would get the problem corrected and hold onto all documents and take them to court or to a District attorney showing them that the problem has been corrected.

If you go to court they may end up giving you a dismissal or prayer for judgement if you can prove the problem has been resolved and only end up paying court costs.
The district attorney may dismiss it all together if the problem is documented it has been resolve but go way before you are due in court.
Hiring an attorney is your call.

Granted this is just a forum and legal advice should be consulted in person or via phone of those who are in the legal profession.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I got a ticket once for an expired inspection sticker. I got it inspected, took the documents to court on my court date and the DA threw it out along with about 100 other people in line with me for similar offenses (inspection stickers, tags etc).
It's a pain to go to court though (good deterrent), so I make sure I never let ANYTHING expire now!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
Is what you have a ticket or a letter you got from DMV saying that you owe a fine? If it is a ticket, you should have a court date giving you the date that you can go and contest...then you do just what people describe above. The letters in the mail usually come when you are WAY over due on emissions inspection... at least they have with me. I do not think there is any grounds for appeal stated in the letter other than proof that the information is not true. I have always just paid the fine.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer1028 View Post
Is there anyone in N.C., who has been fined $275 for failure to inspect your vehicle (emmision fine) and figured out a loophole around paying the fine? Is it possible to appeal the fine?
Pay the fine. If you didn't do it, you didn't do it. There is no loophole. (Yes, I've paid it once myself...won't do that again.)

Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
You CAN get an expired inspections ticket dismissed; true, but what he's got is a FINE levied by NC DMV. The tickets from law enforcement are for operating a vehicle while the inspection is expired. The fine assessed by DMV is for having a registered vehicle without proper inspection. It's virtually impossible to get out of it these days unless you can prove that the vehicle was inoperable at the time the inspection was due. That is even a stretch because you have around 90 days to get it done from the expiration date I believe before the fine is assessed.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
I had this happen to me and the DMV dropped the fine. The vehicle was kept insured but being restored so it wasn't driven for over a year. I told them the situation and they dropped the fine when i renewed registration after getting it back on the road.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
We just registered our truck from out of state this summer. The DMV person said that we had 10 days to get the truck inspected. My husband took it to the garage and it was inspected. Do they automatically do the emission inspection or do you have to ask for it? (I don't want to get a letter saying that the emission inspection wasn't done.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina