Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times

Advertisements

....that, and it really doesn't explain why pooling needs to be forced.

I think the opt-in should be mandatory, but if Betty doesn't want to take part, why not use eminent domain to allow the pipe to run under her ground/property, she doesn't pay to get in, she doesn't cash out, she isn't liable. (Still a host of other problems, just the FORCED pooling).

Companies invoke eminent domain to run railroads, highways, power lines gas lines and all other types of things through a property, without problem, so his entire premise is pretty much BS.

(Imagine if there was a gas-line run through a subdivision, and one person only wanted electrical heat and energy. They would not be allowed to refuse the gas line to run on their property, thus preventing others from accessing it. Same with cable, electric, etc.)

Total propaganda piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Companies invoke eminent domain to run railroads, highways, power lines gas lines and all other types of things through a property, without problem, so his entire premise is pretty much BS.

(Imagine if there was a gas-line run through a subdivision, and one person only wanted electrical heat and energy. They would not be allowed to refuse the gas line to run on their property, thus preventing others from accessing it. Same with cable, electric, etc.)

Total propaganda piece.
Eminent domain is, supposedly, the power to take private property for public use by the state--roads, power lines, etc.-- services that the public benefits from.

A gas company's profit is not exactly public benefit.

Economic development has been used as an excuse to for taking over private property via eminent domain. I believe there was a coastal area that that was taken over this way with the excuse that everyone would benefit from the economic development. Turns out the economic development never took place, bunch of people were kicked out of their homes, and the area sits there abandoned waiting for the next economic upswing.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Until fracking, no one gave a hoot about whether neighbors' oil wells were sucking up the oil from under your property.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Until fracking, no one gave a hoot about whether neighbors' oil wells were sucking up the oil from under your property.
First, there isnt any type of drilling for oil period in North Carolina so there was never a concern in this state period,
Fracking is a total different method than normal vertical drilling but neither has or is affected NC.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 AM

252 posts, read 474,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Eminent domain is, supposedly, the power to take private property for public use by the state--roads, power lines, etc.-- services that the public benefits from.

A gas company's profit is not exactly public benefit.
Exactly! The only benefit here would go to a private company.

So how is it that the "party of small govt interference" can enact regulations authorizing the theft of property owners' rights to their own property?

(And as someone from Asheville, I also have to add the theft of water from a city. With only eventual privatization as the end goal, profitting private company.)

This govt is NOT representing the people of our state. They are representing greed, theirs and the companies sponsoring them.

And as a citizen of NC, I'd like someone to represent me and my desire for safe drinking water now & in the future. I'd like someone to care more about the health of our people & our land than that of short term jobs & landfall profits for a few on top.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
Exactly! The only benefit here would go to a private company.

So how is it that the "party of small govt interference" can enact regulations authorizing the theft of property owners' rights to their own property?

(And as someone from Asheville, I also have to add the theft of water from a city. With only eventual privatization as the end goal, profitting private company.)

This govt is NOT representing the people of our state. They are representing greed, theirs and the companies sponsoring them.

And as a citizen of NC, I'd like someone to represent me and my desire for safe drinking water now & in the future. I'd like someone to care more about the health of our people & our land than that of short term jobs & landfall profits for a few on top.
I agree with this, and am, while open minded and willing to be changed, currently not in favor of Fracking because I believe the dangers outweigh the benefits. That being said, my comments about eminent domain were in no way an endorsement of envoking that excuse. It was simply to say that the entire premise in the linked video was bogus. The idea that forced pooling is justified is an outright lie. Eminent domain has been used (perhaps incorrectly, but at least effectively) in ways that make his argument moot.

My point was that he was really trying to cloud the argument. Before someone forces me to pool or not, I think we need to have an HONEST discussion about whether fracking is good or bad, and people need to understand the risk vs reward equation. Then, and only then, people can decide. What they are trying to do is bypass the "is it right?" phase, and go strait to "here's why you have to do it". That is not an accidental miss-step in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:54 AM

252 posts, read 474,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
What they are trying to do is bypass the "is it right?" phase, and go strait to "here's why you have to do it". That is not an accidental miss-step in my opinion.
Very well said. We seem to be following what Pennsylvania has done. And so, will we also ban people from disclosing their health problems caused by fracking when they are paid off by the oil companies? Have 7 & 9 yr old kids banned for life from talking about it? And even physicians in PA are banned from discussing the health repercussions of the chemicals used in fracking. If they have a patient with an illness they believe is caused by fracking, they aren't allowed to tell the patient...

I don't see how an honest discussion about the risk vs reward of fracking is possible when the truth about the risks to our environment & our personal health is being banned from seeing the light of day.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM

60 posts, read 156,795 times
There has to be a balance between having a pristine environment and having employment for the people of North Carolina. I have been laid off from manufacturing jobs that have been sent overseas TWICE in the past 10 years. I went to North Dakota two years ago to get a job in oil and gas. I have recently transferred to Pennsylvania and work for a fracking company. The wells I have worked on are all on a liquid proof barrier, with no spill policies. We use lots of water but half of that is recycled reclaimed water. The chemicals are minimal and are available for public disclosure. The wells have multiple layers of steel pipe and concrete until well below the water table.

The wages are well above average and we go out of our way to protect the communities that we work in. We should take advantage of any and all energy resources that we have in this country and stop funding our enemies in the Middle East.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydink63 View Post
There has to be a balance between having a pristine environment and having employment for the people of North Carolina. I have been laid off from manufacturing jobs that have been sent overseas TWICE in the past 10 years. I went to North Dakota two years ago to get a job in oil and gas. I have recently transferred to Pennsylvania and work for a fracking company. The wells I have worked on are all on a liquid proof barrier, with no spill policies. We use lots of water but half of that is recycled reclaimed water. The chemicals are minimal and are available for public disclosure. The wells have multiple layers of steel pipe and concrete until well below the water table.

The wages are well above average and we go out of our way to protect the communities that we work in. We should take advantage of any and all energy resources that we have in this country and stop funding our enemies in the Middle East.
Follow this thread, the state passed laws that the companies can get away with not revealing what type of chemical.
Also mining in NC is going to be different due to soil and water table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina