Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times

Advertisements

Folks I'm in central CT now. Go to the Ct page and see all the garbage people are posting about NC saying there's no culture. People up here think culture's all about chasing a buck. Sadly Dems are slowing desroying this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Folks I'm in central CT now. Go to the Ct page and see all the garbage people are posting about NC saying there's no culture. People up here think culture's all about chasing a buck. Sadly Dems are slowing desroying this state.
The same thing was done to Charlotte by St Louis and Cincinnati recently. St Louis posters did it when Charlotte was chosen over STL for the DNC. Cincinnati did it when Chiquita announced that they would be relocating from Cincy to Charlotte. It's classic civic pride mixed in with a little fist-waving. IMO, they (folks in the Northeast) have a right to trash talk if that makes them feel better about their area (bless their little hearts ). In all honesty, I can't understand why an area so close to NYC and Boston would even care about this "little" loss.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Even though I live in CT I can't even stand to look at the CT Forum. I work for the state and in 2 years I'm outta here.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM

789 posts, read 368,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That question is "what about NEW jobs, GOP?"
Politicians don't create jobs, businesses do. If the positions are new to NC, what does it matter if they're newly created or moved from another location?

The base of taxpayers is increasing, either through transplants or new hires; houses/apartments/condos will be sold or rented to these people; they will be patronizing other businesses in the area, etc. - these are all upsides to this move, yet you choose to complain and make a political statement of it...

Quote:
How about that one? Any new manufacturing? Any new assembly?
Any good pay, low skill jobs to meet the need of the biggest unemployment segment?
This is the second time, this week, that I've read that.

Businesses don't create jobs to employ people - they employ people to produce a profitable product or service. Being Rational, you already knew that though...right?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
what does it matter if they're newly created or moved from another location?
We don't live in a vacuum. We aren't an island unto ourselves.

It's better for the US that these jobs come here than go to Bangalore...
but is that really the limit or the standard that should be applied?
Look beyond the immediate.

Quote:
Businesses don't create jobs to employ people -
they employ people to produce a profitable product or service. ?
No doubt. MetLife benefits greatly.

Did you have some larger point?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM

602 posts, read 574,071 times
Quote:

Look beyond the immediate.

No doubt. MetLife benefits greatly.

Well, what caused Metlife to relocate from New England/CA to NC?
If you want talk about how it can be better for the US as a whole, that's an entirely different discussion.

Could the US try the same thing to companies overseas that NC did to Metlife? They can.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM

789 posts, read 368,977 times
Quote:
Yes. Referring to the portion of your post that I quoted (not specifically to the MetLife move).

Quote:

In the context of this post being in NC forum where we're discussing the move to NC - my post stands. If we're going to discuss the move's effects on the entire U.S. job market, we should do so in the appropriate forum.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
In the context of this post being in NC forum where we're discussing the move to NC - my post stands.
NC needs decent paying LOW LEVEL jobs for the unemployed who are already here.
Bringing more already employed people with more cars and with more kids to an area
with overcrowded and inadequate roads and schools is not a net positive for ANYONE.
Not the people who already live in NC and not even the people moving.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM

602 posts, read 574,071 times
Quote:
NC needs decent paying LOW LEVEL jobs for the unemployed who are already here.
Bringing more already employed people with more cars and with more kids to an area
with overcrowded and inadequate roads and schools is not a net positive for ANYONE.
Not the people who already live in NC and not even the people moving.
That's a ridiculous assumption.

Are the people in these 2600 new jobs sending all their money out of NC? Are they buying gas/groceries/clothes/etc outside of NC?

I'm pretty sure they will be paying taxes in NC (income/gas/property/etc).
They will be shopping at NC stores as well (those stores need employees, too)
This can create low level jobs

Maybe some of the ones that will be hired are currently in a low-level job which they will need to leave to start with Metlife.
This can create low level jobs

Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Don't underestimate the traffic problems that Charlotte and the Triangle are dealing with. I-485 eastbound (towards Ballantyne) is the worst commute in North Carolina and is the 31st worst commute in the Nation.

Quote:
"(I-485) is too much of a stress, too much of a hassle," said John McLean, a Charlotte resident who goes out of his way to avoid the Interstate. Local leaders are aware of the problem. According to Rep. Becky Carney, a Charlotte Democrat and House Transportation Committee chair, "the No. 1 complaint we hear from citizens is congestion."
50 Worst Commutes: America's Highways to Hell - The Daily Beast

I-40 eastbound near Cary is the state's second worst commute and is the 47th worst commute in the Nation.

Quote:
"You just get so stiff and tired and sore before you get to work," Wes Evans told The Citizen-Times in January of 2010, referring to the approximately two hours of daily driving added to daily commutes on the I-40.
50 Worst Commutes: America's Highways to Hell - The Daily Beast

IMO, Metlife picked the two worst locations in the state to add 2,600 jobs. Also, both of these areas have horrible mass transit options. I'm not sure if the Triangle has better locations to offer, but Charlotte certainly does. The University City area of Charlotte is currently widening I-85, building a 6-laned I-485, and the area is building a light rail line down the median of US-29. If you're going to drop 1,300 jobs on a suburban office market of Charlotte, University City is the place to do it (NOT Ballantyne). This is yet another example of development not following infrastructure. South Charlotte is way over-built for its roads and it seems like things are about to get worse.
A Californian must have written that article.

Good info though. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina